Perfectly seasoned and oven roasted to perfection, these oven baked chicken legs are so tasty! They're crispy, so juicy and tender - who knew they were so simple with this easy chicken recipe! Gluten free, sugar free, low carb, and keto too!
You'll Love Crispy Baked Chicken Drumsticks
Super easy. Only a few simple pantry basics, and you're on your way to the most fabulous chicken legs. Simply coat them then bake them. Perfect for busy weeknights!
Tasty. Rubbed with olive oil and deliciously seasoned ensures that these drumsticks are crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. Your family will love 'em.
Healthy. These babies have no added sugar, chemicals, or preservatives on them - they're gluten free, sugar free, low carb, keto, and high in protein.
Baked Chicken Drumsticks Recipe Ingredients
Here's what you'll need to make this baked chicken legs recipe:
- Bone in Skin on Chicken Legs: you'll love how economical chicken drumsticks are!
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: rub this on the skin before rubbing with seasoning - it really helps create crispy skin.
- Garlic Salt: the perfect go-to pantry seasoning.
- Smoked Paprika: regular paprika can be substituted, but I highly recommend the smoked - it adds a fabulous smoky flavor and you can substitute it in most recipes when they call for standard paprika.
- Dried Parsley Flakes
- Dried Oregano
- Onion Powder
- Ground Black Pepper: freshly ground black pepper has the best flavor!
Be sure to pin this pin to Pinterest and save for later! 🙂
Variations and Substitutions
You can use any bone-in chicken part such as breast, thighs and wings. Breasts and thighs will take a little longer to cook, wings a little less.
Substitute any salted seasoning blend in place of these seasonings - seasoned salt, Cajun, Thai, etc are great examples.
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
How to Make Baked Chicken Legs
Here is a quick overview of making baked chicken drumsticks. Check out the recipe card for full instructions.
- Mix all the seasoning ingredients together.
- Coat the chicken with olive oil.
- Sprinkle seasoning mix on the chicken.
- Bake until done (165 degrees F).
What is the best temperature and time to bake chicken legs?
400 degrees F is the best temperature to bake chicken legs. It's hot enough to crisp the outside skin but still keep the inside juicy.
How long does it take drumsticks to cook in the oven?
It takes about 35 to 40 minutes to bake drumsticks in the oven. Cook until the internal temperature reaches 165.
How to Serve Crispy Baked Chicken Drumsticks
Here are some ideas for serving your delicious chicken drumsticks
Sprinkle with cheese and fresh parsley.
Serve with a dipping sauce such as barbecue, ranch dressing, or honey mustard.
Side dishes that pair well with oven baked chicken legs:
- Macaroni and cheese (or, cauliflower and cheese if your following a low carb or keto diet.)
- A tossed salad with a favorite dressing
- Mashed potatoes and green beans
- Baked beans
- Broccoli salad with bacon
- Fruit salad
Crispy Baked Chicken Legs storage
Store leftover chicken legs in an airtight container for up to 4 days. They can also be frozen up to 4 months.
Baked Chicken Legs Recipe FAQs
Cooking chicken legs at 400 degrees cooks them faster, crisps up the outside, and keeps them juicy.
No it is not too high. This is the preferred temperature to bake chicken legs.
No, unless a recipe specifically instructs you to do so, you should not cover drumsticks with foil when baking.
Be careful not to over bake them. Drumsticks should reach 165 degrees when done. After they will quickly dry out. Choose the appropriate oven temperature. We have found that 400 degrees is perfect for drumsticks.
You can if you want to, but unless the recipe specifically says to turn there is no need.
Crispy Baked Chicken Legs
- 6 chicken legs (drumsticks) (bone-in, skin on)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl mix together seasonings.
- Using a pastry brush, coat the chicken in olive oil. Sprinkle the seasoning over the chicken, coating evenly.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165℉.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- VARIATIONS: Use any salted seasoning blend or dry rub in place of the spices.
- TOP TIPS: If the chicken is getting too dark, turn over or cover with foil.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Garnish with chopped green onions or parsley.
© 2023 Seeking Good Eats™