Ninja Foodi Pressure Cooker Pot Roast is a quick and easy chuck roast recipe. Total comfort food with tender beef, mushrooms, tomatoes, and vegetables with tasty tomato-based gravy and a little Italian flair. This recipe is low carb, gluten-free, and keto-friendly.
Looking For Something Different to do with Chuck Roast?
You'll LOVE the taste of this Ninja Foodi pressure cooker pot roast!
Amazing Italian Flavors
For those looking for something different to do with a chuck roast, this is it - with an Italian twist! While it is a pot roast, the ingredients in this recipe have an Italian flare giving this roast so much flavor.
Quick and Easy Pot Roast
I used to save pot roasts for the weekends, but now you don't have to. You'll love that you can make a tender beef pot roast with minimal effort in your Ninja Foodi or another pressure cooker like an Instant Pot.
A pot roast is total comfort food. It is the most delicious thing to make on a chilly night. There is just something about tender beef in a delicious gravy that makes us super happy.
Pot roast is a recipe that is enjoyed by everyone. You can serve this to your whole family - and they're going to LOVE it. Regardless of your family's dietary needs, it should work for everyone (except vegetarians, of course).
Gluten Free, Low Carb, and Keto
With only 6 grams of net carbs, 34 grams of healthy fat, and 44 grams of protein this recipe should fit nicely into your daily fat, carb, and protein requirements.
You can increase the fat content by adding additional butter or olive oil. Reduce the protein content of your portion by taking a smaller serving of the meat and a larger serving of the gravy and juices. Yum.
You can find the full nutritional analysis at the bottom of the recipe card, but here are the most important numbers if you are following a low carb and ketogenic diet:
How To Serve
There are many things you could serve with pot roast but I prefer to keep it simple. My favorite way to serve this pot roast is over mashed potatoes with a side salad or other vegetable.
This pot roast over mashed potatoes drizzled with the vegetables and gravy is AHH-mazing! If you are following a low carb or keto diet you could serve over riced cauliflower or mashed cauliflower.
If you are looking for a side dish I would stick with a salad or some simple steamed vegetables. Here are a few more ideas of what to serve with pot roast:
- Mashed Potatoes, roasted potatoes, or Riced Cauliflower.
- Overnight Layered Salad. This is a really good salad that you could make ahead over the weekend then eat on for the next 2 to 3 days. It also makes a great lunch salad!!
- Crockpot Green Beans with Ham. This is my favorite simple green bean recipe done in a slow cooker. You can place everything in your crockpot the night before then just turn on in the morning. These with the pressure cooker pot roast will make a most delicious meal!
- Fresh green salad with a favorite dressing such as Blue Cheese Dressing or Thousand Island Dressing. There is nothing like a fresh green salad to complement heavier warm comfort food like pot roast and gravy.
- Blue Cheese Wedge Salad
Here are some different ways you can make substitutions or customize your keto chicken pot pie:
- Add fresh vegetables such as bell peppers, carrots, or a few baby potatoes (1 to 1 1/2 cups). If using carrots or bell peppers you can saute with the mushrooms and onions. Baby potatoes should be added right after the roast is placed back in the pot. Add an additional 1/2 cup of water or broth to the roast, proceed with the rest of the ingredients.
- Experiment with different herbs, or use a mix of herbs. It's fun to experiment! Rosemary, marjoram, basil, herbs de Provence, and oregano are all good.
- Substitute cream of mushroom soup instead of tomato paste.
Ingredients and Tools
- 3 lb boneless chuck roast (up to 4 lbs is fine)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz package sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes with garlic and olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/8 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp beef bouillon
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp xanthan gum dissolved in 1 tsp olive oil, or 2 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in pot roast juices.
Step One. Prep and Assemble Ingredients
Assemble your ingredients. Dry the chuck roast with paper towels and then season with salt and pepper.
Step Two. Sear Beef Roast (Optional)
This is an optional step that does result in additional flavor, but if you're in a hurry you can skip it. No biggie!
Select Sear/Saute High. Add butter and olive oil. Once butter is melted, sear the roast on each side for approximately 3 minutes each side or until you get a nice golden brown color. Set aside on a plate.
Step Three. Saute Vegetables
Select Saute Medium on the pressure cooker and add onions and mushrooms. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
Step Four. Pressure Cook
Add chuck roast back to the pot, then add diced tomatoes, water, balsamic vinegar, tomato paste, beef boullion, italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
Secure lid, close valve, and select pressure cook High temperature, time 90 minutes. When cooking is complete, allow pressure to release naturally.
Step Five. Thicken Pan Juices and Make Gravy
In a small bowl, dissolve 1 tsp xanthan gum with 1 tsp olive oil or 2 tsp cornstarch whisked with some of the roast's juices. Add mixture to the pot and stir into the juices. Turn cooker to Saute Low and or Med Low and simmer until juices start to thicken.
Step Six. Dish it up
Delicious served over riced cauliflower or a favorite vegetable if following a low carb or keto diet. If you're not following a low carb diet serve with pasta, mashed or roasted potatoes.
Garnish with parmesan cheese and fresh basil. So good!
- A general guideline Ninja recommends 1 1/2 hours for a 3 to 4 lb roast with a quick-release method. Ninja Food Pressure Cooking Chart. I have found that 90 minutes for a 4 lb roast works great with a natural release.
- Searing the meat is optional. If you are short on time feel free to skip this step and move on with the recipe!
Can I use an Instant Pot to make this pot roast?
Yes, you can use your Instant Pot to make this pressure cooker pot roast. Both the Ninja Foodi and Instant Pot are pressure cookers and follow the same recipe instructions.
How long do you cook a pot roast in the Ninja Foodi?
According to Ninja you would cook a 3 to 4 lb beef chuck rost on high pressure for 90 minutes followed with a quick release of pressure.
What are the best cuts of meat for a pot roast?
My favorite cut of meat for a pot roast is a boneless chuck roast. You can also use a bone-in chuck roast, a shoulder pot roast, or a brisket.
How to cook frozen pot roast in a pressure cooker
You can cook a frozen pot roast in a Ninja Foodi. Place a 3 to 4 lb boneless chuck roast on a rack in your pressure cooker. Add 1 cup water or beef broth and any other seasonings.
Secure the lid, close the valve, set to pressure cook on high for 90 minutes. Once the cooking cycle is complete, allow steam to release naturally.
If you are following this recipe, you will elimnate the searing step. Everything else is the same.
What is the difference between regular pressure and quick release method?
The regular pressure release method, also called natural release method is simply allowing the steam to release naturally after the cooking cycle is complete. When the steam is released the steam release valve will drop and you will be able to remove the lid safely.
The quick release method is used to release the steam immediately after the cooking cycle is complete. To do this you turn the valve to the "Vent" position. The steam will be released manually out of the top of the lid. The valve will drop and the lid will unlock when all the steam is released.
What temperature should beef be cooked to?
The minimum that beef should be cooked to is 145 degrees F. To be fork tender, a pot roast is typically cooked to a temperature of 180 degrees F. You can check the temperature with an instant read thermometer if you want to make sure.
For more information please review the USDA Safe Minimum Internal Temperature Chart
How many pounds of roast do I need for 8 people?
a 4 lb pot roast will feed approximately 8 people with 3 oz servings of beef.
How do you season a pot roast?
There are any number of ways to season a pot roast the most common way is to add salt and pepper, or a seasoned salt, and then sear the roast. You can also skip the searing if you are in a hurry.
Other easy ways to season meat are to use a packet of dried onion soup mix, or even a packet of taco seasoning mix.
Can I make this in a slow cooker?
Absolutely this recipe can be made in a slow cooker very easily. Skip searing the meat and add all ingredients to the crock pot. Turn on low and cooker for 8 to 10 hours until the meat is tender.
Can I freeze this pot roast recipe?
Yes! This pot roast can be frozen, but it is best to freeze after cooking. Freeze a whole recipe or leftovers by placing the cooled recipe in a freezer-safe container. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Thaw in refrigerator and reheat slowly.
How do I reheat pot roast in pressure cooker?
To preserve the moisture in your pot roast, I recommend using the slow cooker setting on high to reheat your pot roast. Secure the lid and allow to warm for 1 hour, checking after 30 minutes.
As an alternative you can reheat your roast slowly in the microwave as well. You should only reheat what you plan to eat.
📋 Printable Recipe
Pressure Cooker Recipes
Here are some more perssure cooker recipe you can enjoy with your Ninja Foodi or other brand like Instant Pot. Enjoy! 🙂
- Instant Pot Low Carb and Keto Chicken Soup
- Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup with Beer Brats (Keto Instant Pot Recipe)
- Best Corned Beef Recipe (Slow Cooker and Instant Pot)
- Creamy Beef Taco Soup (Instant Pot Soup Recipe)
- Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Pork (Instant Pot BBQ Pork)
- Instant Pot Spaghetti Sauce
Beef Chuck Recipes
- Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff (Low Carb Keto Beef Stroganoff)
- Italian Crock Pot Beef Roast (Instant Pot Beef Recipe)
More Recipes with Beef
- Cheeseburger Stuffed Peppers With Ground Beef
- Zucchini Ground Beef Taco Casserole
- Mongolian Beef and Broccoli (Low Carb Keto Chinese)
How to Share This Recipe
We'd LOVE for you to help us share this recipe! Here's how:
Review our recipe
We love reviews! Please leave a review and a comment. Your feedback is appreciated! 🙂
Share Your Photos
Show us what a star chef you are! Take photos of this dish and share them! We'd LOVE to see them!
Upload a photo of this dish to our Pinterest pin
tag @seekinggoodeats and hashtag it #seekinggoodeats
Pin Our Pin
Share our pin and pin on Pinterest!
Pressure cooker pot roast is a tasty beef recipe made easy! Total comfort food with tender beef, mushrooms, tomatoes, and vegetables with a tasty tomato-based gravy and Italian seasonings. This one-pot dinner is simple in your Ninja Foodi or Instant Pot. This healthy Italian recipe is gluten-free, low carb, and keto. #potroast #beef #chuckroast #NinjaFoodi #pressurecooker #instantpot #beefroast #comfortfood #onepotmeal #onepandinner #lowcarb #keto #italian #glutenfree #healthyrecipe #italian