Keto Chicken Parmesan is a quick and simple one pan healthy chicken recipe that can go from stovetop to oven to your table in less than 30 minutes!
Like traditional chicken parmesan, this chicken is "breaded" but uses almond flour and parmesan coating instead. That makes this a low carb, gluten-free, no added sugar, and keto chicken parm. YES! 🙂
🎥 Recipe Video
❤️ Keto Chicken Parmesan
"What I love about this recipe is that it tastes just like traditional chicken parmesan - only now it's a family-friendly low carb keto recipe! It's so tasty, AND you can make it all in one pan. It makes great leftovers too!" 🙂 -Kori
This recipe is made just like traditional chicken parmesan and the coated chicken is seared in a skillet. From there it is topped with marinara and cheese and baked the rest of the time. It's quite easy and one of our favorite family recipes!
This recipe uses an oven-proof 12" cast iron skillet so you literally make this in one pan. Keto Chicken Parmesan from stove to oven to table - perfect!
If you don't own an ovenproof skillet, you can transfer to a casserole dish to finish baking.
Chicken parmesan is one of my favorite things to order in a restaurant. We don't actually eat out a lot anymore so I've been experimenting in the kitchen to get a healthy version of my favorite Italian recipe. This recipe is the result!
This chicken parmesan goes over like a treat with the family too - trust me 🙂
Keto chicken parmesan is gluten-free, low carb, and has no added sugar. 👍
**Be sure to use a low net carb and no sugar added marinara sauce! If you are buying bottled go for the best sauce! It really does make a difference.
For testing purposes we used Rao's but there are other low carb with no sugar added marinara sauce that are just as good!
With only 6.1 grams of net carbs, 16.5 grams of fat, and 36.1 grams of protein, this recipe should fit nicely into your dietary requirements.
You can find the full nutritional analysis at the bottom of the recipe card, but here are the most important numbers if you are following a low carb and ketogenic diet:
16.5 g fat | 6.1 g net carbs | 36.1 g protein
🍽 How to Serve
Because chicken parm is full of flavor you only need a simple vegetable side dish or something to drizzle all that saucy goodness over. Here's what to eat with chicken parmesan:
- A little side of zucchini noodles, riced, steamed, or roasted vegetables go great with this recipe.
- Serve with a fresh green salad with a favorite dressing such as Blue Cheese Dressing or Thousand Island Dressing
- Overnight layered salad - I often make this salad over the weekend, usually Sunday, then eat on it for several days and take it for lunches too.
- Anyone not following a low carb or keto diet will love this dish with some cooked pasta drizzle with a little olive oil (or butter) salt and pepper.
🥘 Ingredients and Tools
Here are the ingredients and tools you'll need to make this baked chicken parmesan:
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts - pounded to 1/2" thick, uniform thickness
- Olive Oil
- Almond Flour
- Parmesan Cheese - finely grated, we used the "granular" kind
- Garlic Salt
- Italian Seasoning
- Marinara Sauce - be sure to use a no added sugar, low carb marinara sauce. We used Rao's.
- Mozzarella Cheese Slices
- 12" cast iron skillet (or other oven proof skillet)
- Cutting Board
- Chef Knife
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- 2 shallow bowls
- Instant read thermometer
Here are several ways that you can make substitutions or customize your keto chicken parmesan recipe:
- Add extra vegetables. You add up to 2 cups of vegetables (diced zucchini, sliced mushrooms, steamed cauliflower, and steamed broccoli work well). After searing your chicken, remove it and keep warm. Saute vegetables until tender, then add the chicken back to the pan and top with marinara and cheese.
- If you do add vegetables - they will add moisture to your sauce, making it slightly runnier. No big deal! You can offset this by adding a little thickener or just consider the extra sauciness a bonus and serve over steamed vegies, zoodles, or priced cauliflower or pasta. 🙂
- You can cut the chicken into bite-size pieces after searing if you prefer. Serving this recipe with the chicken in bite-sized pieces helps the recipe go further and makes it easier to portion out for your family. If you are in a hurry, skip this step and leave the pieces whole.
Here's how to make keto chicken parmesan. You'll be surprised how easy it is! 🙂
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prep and assemble all of your ingredients.
In a small bowl whisk egg.
In a shallow bowl mix almond flour, parmesan, garlic salt, italian seasoning, and pepper.
Coat the Chicken
Dredge chicken in the egg then dip both sides into coating. Set on a plate until ready to sear chicken.
Add olive oil to an ovenproof skillet that has been preheated over medium-high. Place each piece of chicken into the pan and sear for 4 minutes, turn over and sear an additional 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
Top with Sauce and Cheese
Pour marinara sauce over the top of the chicken and then top each chicken piece with a slice of cheese.
Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove from oven and let sit, covered, for about 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
💭 Cooking Tips
- Make sure your skillet is hot before attempting to sear the chicken. Preheat the oil in the skillet before adding the chicken. The chicken should sizzle when you add it to the pot. If it doesn't sizzle, the oil and pan are not hot enough.
- A total of 24 ounces of chicken breast is required for this recipe. The portion of chicken for each person is 4 ounces. If you are unable to buy chicken breasts in this size, you can cut larger ones in the correct portion.
- Pound your chicken to 1/2" thick for consistent cooking as it finishes off in the oven.
- Test the doneness of your chicken with an instant read thermometer. According to the USDA chicken should be cooked to 165 degrees F.
❓ Common Questions
Here are the most common questions that people ask us:
Can I freeze chicken parmesan?
Yes, you can definitely freeze this caserole. Make sure it is cool first, then put it in a freezer-proof, airtight container. Freeze for up to 4 months.
How long will this recipe keep in the refrigerator?
This chicken recipe will keep up to 4 days in your refrigerator. If you want to save it from there, you can freeze it until you are ready to eat.
Is Chicken parmesan keto?
Good news! this chicken parmesan recipe is keto because the coating is made with almond flour, parmesan, and seasoning. The sauce used is low carb, with no added sugar.
However, traditional chicken parmesan is typically NOT keto-friendly because it is often thickly coated breading made with breadcrumbs or white flour.
What if I don't have an ovenproof skillet?
No worries! You can still make this parmesan chicken. Sear the chicken in a skillet then transfer to a casserole dish (coated with nonstick spray). Bake 20 to 25 minutes until the chicken is done.
The recipe will take a little longer to bake since the casserole dish is not as hot as the skillet is in the original recipe.
What temperature should chicken be cooked to?
According to the USDA, the safe minimum cooking temperature of chicken should be 165 degrees F.
📋 Printable Recipe
✔️ Related Recipes
Skillet Chicken Recipes
Here are several more skillet recipes with chicken that you might enjoy:
- Bruschetta Chicken Skillet Recipe (Keto Low Carb)
- Healthy Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole (Low Carb Keto)
- Keto Chicken Pot Pie Casserole (Low Carb Gluten Free)
- EASY Jalapeño Popper Chicken Casserole (Keto Low Carb)
- Low Carb and Keto Chicken Piccata
More Low Carb Keto Chicken Recipes
All of the chicken recipes below are low carb, gluten-free, sugar-free, and ketogenic. Enjoy! 🙂
- Crockpot Chicken Fajita Soup (Low Carb Keto Soup Recipe)
- Crockpot Balsamic Chicken
- Keto Chicken Tenders (Air Fryer + Oven)
- Italian Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs (Low Carb and Keto Slow Cooker Chicken)
⭐ How to Share This Recipe
We'd LOVE for you to help us share this recipe! Here's how:
Review and Comment on This Recipe
We love reviews! Please leave any questions and comments below and don't forget to review our dish!
Share Your Photos
Show us what a star chef you are! Take photos of this dish and share them! We'd LOVE to see them!
Upload a photo of this dish to our Pinterest pin
tag @seekinggoodeats and hashtag it #seekinggoodeats
Pin our Pin
Share our pin and pin on Pinterest!
Keto Chicken Parmesan Recipe is a delicious healthy recipe made super convenient in one pan! This quick and easy chicken breast recipe can be made in 30 minutes. Parmesan chicken is low carb, gluten-free, and keto friendly. The perfect family dinner! #chicken #healthyrecipe #chickenparmesanrecipe #parmesanchicken #onepan #skillet #lowcarb #glutenfree #keto #SeekingGoodEats