Herb Marinated BBQ Vegetables (Vegetable Barbeque) is a quick and easy recipe to make! Pair your bbq vegetables with a grilled meat and you have a full meal straight off the grill! This recipe is low carb, sugar free, and keto friendly.
Herb Marinated BBQ Vegetables (Vegetable Barbeque)
Herb marinated bbq vegetables are so simple and easy to make but have amazing flavor. Whether you use a grilling basket or make vegetable kebabs, these grilled vegetables will be a huge hit at your next barbecue cookout. Vegetables make a great barbecue side dish! Grilled marinated vegetables are the perfect low carb and keto side dish! #grillingrecipe #bbq #barbecuesidedish #bbqvegetables #vegetablebarbeque #bbqsidedish #grillingrecipe #lowcarb #keto #sidedish #summerbbq #backyardbbq #skewers
Two Easy Ways To Grill Vegetables: Skewers or A Grill Basket
While you can certainly grill larger vegetables such as corn on the cob, whole or ½ bell peppers, eggplant slices, etc. straight on the grill, but what about smaller sized vegetables?
The two easiest ways I found to grill vegetables are with a grilling basket or threaded on skewers. The grilling basket is actually the easiest method (see below), but the skewers work great for serving individual portions and they are fun to make up and eat. 🙂
How To Grill Vegetables in a Basket
Grilling vegetables in a basket is actually one of the easiest ways to grill vegetables.
Cut your vegetables into similar sized pieces. Preheat grill to medium. If your basket is not nonstick, coat with a nonstick spray. Place vegetables in the basket and then on to the grill. Cook vegetables for 8 to 10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
Note that the time will vary for different sizes of vegetables and types. Check periodically.
What Should I Serve With BBQ Vegetables?
BBQ vegetables go great with just about any grilled meat. Warm grilled vegetables also pair well with cold side dishes. If you're not following a low carb diet you could go with potato salad or a pasta salad too.
Grilled Meats and Vegetable Ideas:
- The Best Baby Back Ribs Recipe (Grilled Pork Back Ribs)
- The Best Greek Burger (Gyro Burger)
- How To Grill A Ribeye Steak
- Southwest Turkey Burgers On The Grill Recipe
- Herbed Butter Steak (Simple Steak Recipe Grilled With Garlic Herb Butter)
- Dry Rub Grilled Chicken With White Barbecue Sauce
- Grilled Romaine Hearts (Easy Grilling Recipe)
Side Dish Ideas:
What You Will Need to Make Vegetable Barbeque
This post may contain affiliate links, which help to keep this content free (Full Disclosure)
- Grill (Gas Grill or Charcoal Grill)
- Metal Grilling Skewers or Grill Basket
- Grilling Gloves
- Cutting Board
- Chef Knife
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- 2 lbs of vegetables
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp vinegar (white wine vinegar or regular vinegar)
- 2 to 3 tbsp fresh herbs
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Optional: ¼ cup goat cheese, feta, or queso fresco crumbles
How To Make Herb Marinated BBQ Vegetables (Vegetable Barbeque)
In a small bowl mix olive oil, vinegar, herbs, salt, and pepper. Add vegetables to a large bowl then toss with marinade mixture. Allow vegetables to marinate at room temperature for 15 minutes. Toss occasionally to coat vegetables.
Grill, turning occasionally until vegetables are soft. The time will vary depending upon which type of vegetables you have used. In the case of the yellow squash, zucchini, and onion I used it took approximately 18 minutes. I turned the vegetables after 12 minutes and it took another 5 to 6 minutes to become tender. Cook the vegetables to your desired tenderness. We prefer them a little softer but many people love them crisp-tender.
Remove vegetables from grill and allow them to cool slightly. You can leave the vegetables on the skewer or you can serve on a platter or in a bowl.
Toss the vegetables with a little extra olive oil and some fresh herbs if desired. Add more salt and pepper to taste. Serve and enjoy!
Optional (but super yummy) step: I tossed my vegetables last minute with some goat cheese! It was SO GOOD!!! I had a little left in my fridge and decided to use it up sprinkled on my veggies. So delicious and I highly recommend it.
Helpful Tips For Making Marinated Vegetable Barbeque Kebabs
- Keep your vegetables a consistent size.
- If mixing vegetables for skewers or a basket, cut longer cooking vegetables into smaller pieces, and those that require shorter grilling time into larger pieces. For example, if you're cooking onions and zucchini the onions should be cut into smaller pieces.
- When grilling mushrooms, keep them whole. If the stems are long, remove them.
- If you have a vegetable that takes longer to cook (like winter squash or corn) you can give them a head start by microwaving with a little water until almost tender. Finish them off on the grill.
- Speaking of corn. An easy way to grill corn is to leave the husks on, soak them in water (husks and all) for an hour prior to grilling. Place on grill (medium heat) and cook approximately 20 to 30 minutes or until tender! The water-soaked husks keep the corn from burning and help to steam the corn - VERY good.
- If using wooden skewers, be sure to soak them in water for at least 30 minutes to prevent them from catching fire.
| Should I Marinate Vegetables Before Grilling?
It is optional whether you grill vegetables before marinating. Marinating complements the vegetables and enhances their flavor. There are many types of marinade that can be used to vary the flavor. At a minimum, we recommend tossing with a little olive oil and then seasoning with kosher salt and pepper.
| What Vegetables Are Good For Barbecue?
Here are a few more popular vegetables that you can grill:
- Summer Squash - yellow, pattypan, zucchini
- Winter Squash - butternut, acorn, etc.
- Mushrooms (whole)
- Bell Peppers
| Are Grilled Vegetables Healthy?
Yes, grilled vegetables are very healthy! The main reason is that you're eating vegetables. In addition, because of the grilling method, most of the nutrients are retained. Vegetables are lower in fat, and typically if any oils are used it is usually olive oil which is considered a healthy fat.
| How Can I Increase The Healthy Fat In This Recipe?
You can increase the healthy fat content in this recipe by adding a flavorful cheese. Add ¼ cup of goat cheese, feta cheese, or queso fresco crumbles. Grated parmesan is delicious too! You could also add a little more olive oil.
| How Do You Cook Veggies On A BBQ?
Preheat grill to medium. Toss vegetables with marinade. If vegetables are small use a grilling basket or skewers to keep them from falling through. Spray grate with nonstick spray or rub with cooking oil. Place vegetables on the grill turning frequently until vegetables are tender when pierced with a fork. Cooking times vary with the size and type of vegetable.
We'd Love To Hear From You!
We'd LOVE for you to help us share this recipe! Here's how:
1 | REVIEW OUR RECIPE
We love reviews! Please leave any questions and comments below and don't forget to review our dish!
2 | SHARE YOUR PHOTOS
Show us what a star chef you are! Take photos of this dish and share them! We'd LOVE to see them!
Upload a photo of this dish to our Pinterest pin
tag @seekinggoodeats and hashtag it #seekinggoodeats
3 | PIN OUR PIN
Share our pin and pin on Pinterest!
Pin me for later!