Slow Cooker Chicken Paprika is a super simple weeknight dinner idea with only 6 ingredients! Delicious tender chicken and onions with a creamy paprika gravy.
Toss all the ingredients but the sour cream into the crock in the morning, and voila - easy delicious chicken dinner later! Chicken paprikash is also a gluten-free, low carb, sugar-free, and keto recipe.
🎥 Recipe Video
❤️ Crock Pot Chicken Paprika
"I am excited to share this recipe with you! It is just super easy and tastes amazing - with minimal effort. Chicken paprikash makes the best gravy. I love to serve this over riced cauliflower with a side of steamed green beans. If I'm in a huge hurry, I even use frozen bags of vegetables! A frozen bag of riced cauliflower is a lifesaver. Enjoy!" 🙂 -Kori
Super Easy to Make
With only 6 ingredients and all but the sour cream tossed in first thing, this couldn't get much easier to make. I like using chicken thighs because they tend to stay more tender than chicken breasts.
So Much Flavor
It's quite amazing how much flavor is in this recipe considering there are minimal ingredients! 🙂
I think you'll love that this recipe is low carb, keto, and gluten-free! So, on top of being easy, it's also quite healthy. Yay!
While the full nutritional value is provided at the end of the recipe card, here are the most important if you're following a low carb keto diet:
9.4 g fat | 8.1 g net carbs | 19.4 g protein
How To Serve
Need easy serving suggestions? Here are some ways that you can serve crock pot chicken paprika:
- A common way to serve Chicken Paprika is with Nokedli, which are like tiny dumplings. Another pasta such as spätzle or egg noodles is also a great way to serve this dish.
- Since this is something I usually make during a busy week, I try to keep side dishes super simple - usually frozen riced cauliflower and a side of another veggie (also from the freezer).
- Roasted vegetables also make a great accompaniment to this recipe.
- This recipe makes a flavorful gravy. Serving this over riced or mashed cauliflower is the perfect thing for low-carb keto followers.
- A simple side salad with a favorite dressing is a nice fresh side dish. Try our homemade Thousand Island Dressing or Blue Cheese Dressing.
- Anyone not following a low-carb diet will appreciate serving this over mashed potatoes, rice, pasta, or dumplings.
- Low carb and keto followers will love this served over riced cauliflower.
Ingredients and Tools
Here's what you'll need to make this slow cooker chicken paprikash:
- Chicken thighs - you can also use chicken breasts
- Cream of Chicken Soup - see variations below if you don't want to use cream of chicken soup
- Paprika - use any variety of paprika, it's all good.
- Kosher Salt and Pepper
- Sour cream
- Optional Thickener - cornstarch dissloved in water or xanthan gum dissolved in olive oil. See recipe card.
- Optional Garnish - fresh parsley or sliced green onions a garnish
- 4 to 6 quart slow cooker
- Small mixing bowl
- Chef knife or a food processor - to chop onons
- Cutting board
- Measuring spoons
- Paper towels - to dry salmon fillets
There are several ways you can vary or make substitutions to this recipe:
- Experiment with different types of paprika. Parika can be sweet, spicy, smoked, and every level in between. We used smoked paprika in this dish.
- Add herbs. Fresh parsley, a little thyme, etc., would all be wonderful. Just play around with your favorites. Adding sliced green onions adds a nice flavor. I love to garnish with green onions.
- Substitute chicken breast instead of chicken thighs. You can use bone-in chicken as well. If you use skin-on chicken, I recommend that your sear the chicken until it's a nice golden brown - it adds amazing flavor to this recipe.
- Use chicken broth instead of cream of chicken soup. This will result in a runner sauce at the end, so you will need to thicken it for a more gravy-like constancy.
- Toss in some fresh vegetables like carrots, baby potatoes, mushrooms, or even diced zucchini. All would be delicious. Again, you may have to adjust your sauce at the end as certain vegetables will add more liquid.
Step by Step Instructions
Here's how to make slow cooker chicken paprikash:
Add Ingredients to Pot
Coat the inside of your slow cooker with nonstick spray. Add onions and chicken thighs.
In a small bowl, mix cream of chicken soup, paprika, salt, and pepper. Pour or spread over the top of the chicken.
Cover, turn crockpot on low, and cook for 4 to 6 hours until onions are tender and chicken is done.
Remove chicken from the slow cooker, cover, and set aside.
Remove chicken from pot, cover and keep warm. In a small bowl add sour cream and mix in 1 cup of the crockpot juices until blended. Add sour cream mixture back to crockpot and stir.
Thicken sauce by adding either 1 tablespoon of cornstarch mixed in 1 tablespoon of water, or 1/2 teaspoon of xanthan gum dissolved in 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil.
Add to the slow cooker and mix into the sauce. Continue cooking, uncovered on low until sauce is thick.
Serve and enjoy!
- You can substitute chicken breast for chicken thighs. If you use chicken breast, they get drier quicker, so you will need to check for doneness periodically and sooner than you would with chicken thighs.
- To keep the sour cream from curdling, you will need to add mix it with 1 cup of the crockpot juices until blended, then add the sour cream mixture back to the crockpot and stir.
- To thicken your sauce at the end, you can dissolve a bit of cornstarch and add to the crock or, the low carb option is to dissolve 1/2 teaspoon of xanthan gum with 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil.
How long will chicken paprika keep in the refrigerator?
Slow cooker chicken paprika can keep in your refrigerator for up to 4 days in an airtight container.
How do you thicken chicken paprikash?
There are several ways you can thicken chicken paprikash.
The first method is to remove the slow cooker lid and continue cooking with the lid off until the liquid has evaporated to your liking. This is not the fastest way, however.
Second, is to dissolve a bit of cornstarch into the crockpot and allow it to thicken.
Third, you can dissolve 1/2 teaspoon of xanthan gum with 1/2 teaspoon of olive, then stir into the crockpot. Let sit until thicken.
How can you lower the fat in this recipe?
To lower the fat in this recipe, you can use a fat-free sour cream. You could also substitute chicken breast for thighs, which are slightly lower in fat as well.
How can I increase the healthy fat in this recipe?
You can increase the healthy fat in this recipe by adding 1 tablespoon of olive oil or avocado oil. I don't recommend adding more, or it will become greasy.
You could also add 4 to 6 ounces of softened cream cheese along with the sour cream. Topping with diced avocados is also a great way to add fat to your meal.
Slow Cooker Chicken Paprika
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2½ lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 10.5 oz can cream of chicken soup
- 5 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- Optional garnish: fresh parsley or sliced green onions
- Optional thickener: 1 tbsp of cornstarch mixed with 1 tbsp water or 1/2 tsp of xanthan gum dissolved in 1/2 tsp of olive oil
- Add onion and chicken to a crockpot that has been coated with nonstick spray.
- In a small bowl, mix chicken soup, paprika, salt, and pepper. Spread over the chicken and onions.
- Cover and cook on low 5 to 7 hours until chicken is done and onions are tender.
- Remove chicken from pot, cover, and keep warm. In a small bowl, add sour cream and mix in 1 cup of the crockpot juices until blended. Add mixture to crockpot and stir.
- Thicken the sauce by adding either 1 tablespoon of cornstarch mixed in 1 tablespoon of water or 1/2 teaspoon of xanthan gum dissolved in 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil. Add to the slow cooker and mix into the sauce.
- Continue cooking, uncovered on low until sauce is thick.
- Serve chicken topped with paprika sauce.
© 2023 Seeking Good Eats™
Here are some more slow cooker chicken recipes that you might enjoy:
- Keto Chicken Chili (Slow Cooker)
- Spicy Thai Basil Chicken Recipe (Thai Chicken Slow Cooker)
- Crockpot Chicken Fajita Soup (Low Carb Keto Soup Recipe)
- Crockpot Cashew Chicken (Keto Cashew Chicken)
- Crockpot Balsamic Chicken | Keto Low Carb
- Slow Cooker Sesame Chicken (Keto Low Carb)
How to Share This Recipe
We'd LOVE for you to help us share this recipe! Here's how:
Review our recipe
We love reviews! Please leave a review and a comment. Your feedback is appreciated! 🙂
Share Your Photos
Show us what a star chef you are! Take photos of this dish and share them! We'd LOVE to see them!
Upload a photo of this dish to our Pinterest pin
tag @seekinggoodeats and hashtag it #seekinggoodeats
Pin Our Pin
Share our pin and pin on Pinterest!
Slow Cooker Chicken Paprika is a super simple dinner idea! With only 6 ingredients, it's a perfect low carb, gluten-free, and keto recipe. Crockpot chicken paprikash is the perfect weeknight meal and an easy dinner recipe.