Slow Cooker Sesame Chicken (Keto) is an easy to make Chinese recipe made healthy! Better than takeout! Tender chicken and vegetables in a ginger sesame sauce. This recipe is sugar-free, gluten-free, low carb, and keto. Enjoy!
Why You'll Love Slow Cooker Sesame Chicken
Crockpot sesame chicken is an easy healthy dinner that is tasty, satisfying, and filling. You will love the combination of the tender chicken with the sesame ginger sauce. In other words, this is good stuff!
If you're craving Chinese but want a healthy dinner - slow cooker chicken is IT. So much flavor!
"If you are craving Chinese food I think you'll love this easy fuss-free recipe - just add your ingredients and let your slow cooker do all the work! Ta-da! Easy and HEALTHY Chinese takeout at home." -Kori
Easy To Make
Slow cooker sesame chicken is very easy to make. Most of the ingredients go into the crockpot at the beginning. Finally, once it's cooked garnish with additional sesame seeds and some green onion. So simple!
Low Carb and Keto
Keto sesame chicken is a perfect healthy low carb meal option when following a ketogenic diet.
The full nutritional analysis of this recipe is included in the recipe card, but the most important for keto followers is:
net carbs 6.6 g | fat 20 g | protein 34.8 g
How to Serve
Sesame chicken is delivious served with the following.
- Serve of steamed vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, or green beans.
- With riced cauliflower or riced broccoli.
- If not following a low carb diet of coarse steamed rice is the perfect thing to serve as a side.
- Try this coconut cauliflower rice recipe - you'll love it.
Ingredients and Tools
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 4 to 5 green onion, diagonally sliced in 1" pieces (plus more for garnish)
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos soy sauce (or tahini sauce, or soy sauce)
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ginger paste
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (add more if you like more spice)
- 4 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum (or a couple of teaspoons of cornstarch)
- 1/2 tablespoon of sesame seeds (plus more for garnish)
- 4 to 6-quart slow cooker or an Instant Pot
- nonstick spray
- small mixing bowl
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- chef knife
- cutting board
Step by Step Instructions
Spray slow cooker with nonstick spray. Add chicken, green onion, soy sauce, garlic, ginger paste, and red pepper flakes to the pot.
In a small bowl mix xanthan gum and sesame oil together until dissolved. Add to the slow cooker and stir. Cover and cook on low 4 to 6 hours or until chicken is done.
Finally, stir in sesame seeds. Adjust taste with additional soy sauce or salt and pepper. Serve over steamed rice, riced cauliflower or riced broccoli.
- Feel free to play around with the sesame oil, garlic, ginger paste, or red pepper flakes according to taste! If you are a sesame oil and ginger lover like me you'll add more! 🙂
- If your sauce has thickened too much you can dilute with a little chicken broth, soy sauce, or water.
- For a quick and easy cleanup use slow cooker liners.
- You can use boneless skinless chicken breast or chicken thighs. However, chicken thighs are my favorite because they won't dry out like chicken breast. This is important if you have to leave your crockpot cooking all day.
How can I increase the fat in this recipe?
You can increase the fat in this recipe by using additional sesame oil or some olive oil.
There is more protein in this recipe than fat, but that is okay because you can simply make sure that the sides you choose to meet your daily fat needs. For example, I make sure I drizzle butter or olive oil over my steamed broccoli, riced cauliflower, etc.
How long will sesame chicken keep?
Sesame chicken is best if eaten within 3 to 4 days. Store in an airtight container and reheat individual portions in the microwave.
Can I freeze crockpot sesame chicken?
Yes! You can freeze sesame chicken. Freeze portions or the full recipe after it has cooked and cooled down. Place in freezer-proof containers and then into the freezer.
Thaw in the refrigerator and reheat individual portions in your microwave.
Sesame chicken can be kept in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Can I substitute ingredients?
You can substitute some items in this recipe. Try bite-size pieces of pork or chicken breast instead of thighs. If you use pork check it for doneness after 3 to 4 hours. It has a tendency to cook faster than chicken (and dry out too).
For non-keto followers, you can use regular soy sauce instead of keto-friendly coconut aminos.
Substitute 1 tablespoon of cornstarch instead of xanthan gum if you are not following a keto diet.
Here are some more delicious Asian recipes to try! All our low carb, sugar-free, gluten-free, and keto recipes. Enjoy!
- Keto Stir Fry With Shrimp
- Crockpot Cashew Chicken (Keto Cashew Chicken)
- Slow Cooker Spicy Thai Basil Chicken Recipe
- Mongolian Beef and Broccoli (Low Carb and Keto Chinese)
- Crock Pot Chicken Curry
- Simple Egg Fried Rice
Slow cooker sesame chicken is an easy healthy recipe that's ready when you are! This low carb and keto sesame chicken recipe is perfect for the whole family. A delicious dinner idea that's simple to make and ready when you're craving Chinese takeout. A tasty chicken recipe that easy enough for a weeknight meal. This recipe is gluten-free, sugar-free, low carb, and ketogenic. #slowcooker #crockpot #lowcarb #keto #chinese #asian #sesamechicken #dinnerrecipe #seekinggoodeats #chickenrecipe