Crock Pot Cube Steak is easy to make comfort food that makes the BEST gravy. The perfect fuss-free dinner for weeknights! Cube steak is made tender while cooking all day in its rich and creamy brown gravy with onions and mushrooms.
🎥 Watch Video
You'll ❤️ This Cube Steak Crock Pot Recipe
Crock pot cube steak that will melt in your mouth. Like Sunday supper good - but easy enough for busy weeknights (no messy pan frying involved). The meat is tender and the gravy delicious. Total comfort food for the whole family. 🙂 - Kori
This is an easy crockpot recipe! One of my favorite things about making cube steak in the crockpot is that you dump the ingredients in and go. Come back after 6 hours (or so) and make the gravy - that's it. Super simple!
This has been a go-to recipe in our house for YEARS. My kids would beg for this growing up! Of course, I loved that I could toss everything in the crock first thing in the morning and not worry about dinner during a crazy weeknight!
This is a perfect gluten-free, low-carb, keto dinner idea with 20.2 grams of fat and only 7.3 grams of net carbs! Slow cooker cube steak is delicious and satisfying, so you won't leave the table feeling hungry - or wanting something more.
- Want to lower the fat? Use low-fat or fat-free versions of the dairy and condensed soup.
- Following a keto diet? Use either canned condensed soup or my homemade condensed mushroom soup. Which version you use will depend on what type of keto plan you are on. Both versions are low in carbs, at only 7.3 grams of net carbs.
- Low carb and keto followers should serve over riced or mashed cauliflower.
- Gluten-free followers can serve the same as above or use a gluten-free pasta choice.
You can find the complete nutritional analysis at the bottom of the recipe card.
20.2 g fat | 7.3 g net carbs | 23.4 g protein
🥘 Ingredients and Equipment
Here are the ingredients and equipment you will need to make crock pot cube steak:
See the recipe card for a complete list of quantities.
- Onion - I used yellow, but you can use what you have on hand.
- Cube Steaks
- Mushrooms - use white button mushrooms or even baby bellas.
- Either Canned or Seeking Good Eat's Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Ground Black Pepper
- Sour cream
- Cream cheese
- Optional: xanthan gum or cornstarch - used as a thickening agent
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
Equipment and tools needed to make this slow cooker cube steak:
Here are the instructions for making this slow cooker cube steak recipe - super easy in your slow cooker!
For complete instructions, please see the printable recipe card below.
Add Ingredients to the Pot
Spray slow cooker with nonstick spray.
Add sliced onions to the bottom of the slow cooker, then top with the cube steaks, mushrooms, soup, garlic, and pepper.
Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or until meat is tender.
Once the meat is tender, remove cube steaks and set them aside.
Soften the cream cheese in a microwave for a few seconds until it is very easily spreadable. Add to the crockpot along with the sour cream. Stir until incorporated.
Add cube steak back to slow cooker to keep warm if needed.
Serve over pasta, rice, mashed potatoes, riced cauliflower, or zoodles. Enjoy!
🥗 How To Serve
Serving slow cooker cube steak is a breeze. Since this recipe is intended to be a super easy weeknight meal, it's best to keep your sides simple. Here are some suggestions for serving:
- Mashed potatoes, rice, or egg noodles are perfect for serving with this dish. Serve over riced cauliflower if you follow a low carb and keto diet.
- Steamed or roasted vegetables make a great side dish. If you're into air fryers be these Air Fryer Green Beans would go well!
- Another favorite of mine is to serve a fresh green salad with a favorite dressing such as Italian dressing, French, Blue Cheese, Thousand Island, etc.
- Try this delicious overnight layered salad that can be made 24 hours before serving - it will keep for several days so that you can eat it for multiple meals!
Here are a few ways you can vary or make substitutions to slow cooker cube steak:
- Want to add some veggies? Add 1 to 1-1/2 cups of carrots or diced zucchini. You can add potatoes, too, but they will soak up some liquid so that you won't have as much gravy.
- If desired, use a chuck roast or even stew meat instead of cube steak.
- Add in a tablespoon of herbs such as parsley, thyme, marjoram.
💭 Top Tips
- You do not need to add any additional liquid to the slow cooker. The meat and other ingredients will cook in their own juices.
- Soften the cream cheese in your microwave until it is very spreadable. This will help it to melt and blend better.
- Feel free to substitute 1 tbsp minced onion for the small fresh onion. You can also use canned mushrooms in place of fresh ones.
- If the gravy is not as thick as you would like, thicken it with a little cornstarch dissolved in a small ladle of sauce. Or, for a low-carb thickener option, use 1/2 tsp xanthan gum dissolved in 1 tsp of olive oil. Add cornstarch or xanthan gum mixture to the slow cooker and stir. Allow the slow cooker to sit with the lid off for a few minutes until thickened.
- Sear the outside and cook to a minimum internal temperature of __
- There are temperature variances among air fryer units. Know your air fryer and adjust this recipe accordingly.
What is cube steak?
Cube steak is a cut of beef that can be very tough. It is usually pounded with a meat tenderizer tool. The texture that the tenderizer creates in the meat most often resembles "cubes." Tenderizing steak makes it much more tender to eat.
Because of its toughness, cube steak makes a perfect cut of meat to use in a slow cooker!
How can I reduce the fat in this recipe?
To reduce the fat in this recipe, use fat-free cream cheese and fat-free sour cream instead of the full-fat versions.
Can I freeze this cube steak recipe?
I would not recommend freezing this dish because the fats in the dairy have a tendency to separate.
How long will this recipe keep in the refrigerator?
If stored in an air-tight container, this recipe will keep for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator after it has been cooked. It makes GREAT leftovers!
✔️ Related Recipes
- Cube Steak in the Oven
- Pan Seared Ribeye Steak
- Chipotle Steak Recipe
- How To Grill A Ribeye Steak
- Herbed Butter Steak
Crock Pot Recipes With Beef
Here are some of my favorite crock pot recipes that use beef! Enjoy!
- Italian Crock Pot Beef Roast
- Texas Style No Bean Chili Slow Cooker Recipe
- Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes
- Best Corned Beef Recipe
- Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
⭐ Let's Connect
Did you try one of my recipes and love it? Let me know! I'd love for you to come back and give the recipe a 5-star rating and a comment 🙂
Crock pot cube steak that will melt in your mouth! Cube steak in the crock pot is the perfect fuss-free dinner for busy weeknights. Easy to make comfort food for the whole family. A cube steak crock pot recipe that's cooked low and slow all day in creamy brown gravy with mushrooms and onions - OH MY. Slow cooker cube steak that is family-friendly yet low carb, gluten free, and keto. You'll love this easy crockpot recipe!