Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes are full of flavor with a combination of ground beef and pork in a delectable tangy sauce. The perfect weeknight family dinner idea that everyone will enjoy. This recipe can easily be adapted to a gluten free low carb and keto diet if needed. Let's make it!
Watch How To Make Sloppy Joes Slow Cooker Recipe
Why You'll Love Crock Pot Sloppy Joes
Delicious. Cooking low and slow all day blends the flavors to perfection! A savory, sweet, tangy combination that's super delicious!
It's Easy. This is an EASY slow cooker recipe. Because the meat needs to be browned, I like to prep it ahead of time and cook the meat and vegetables beforehand. Then I add all the ingredients and keep them in the fridge until the day I want to cook them.
Family-Friendly. Kids love sloppy joes, and this is an easy recipe that you can make in a hurry. My kids gobble this up - when they were young and even now as teens.
Sloppy Joes Slow Cooker Ingredients
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this slow cooker sloppy joe recipe:
- 80/20 Ground Beef: a leaner ground may also be used.
- Pork Sausage: using pork sausage adds a ton of flavor!
- Onion: use white or yellow. If you want to add a bit of sweetness you can use red onion.
- Tomato Sauce
- Brown Sugar: use regular brown sugar, or keto followers use a brown sugar substitute (adjust to taste)
- Tomato Paste
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Prepared Yellow Mustard
- Chili Powder
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
Be sure to pin this pin to Pinterest for later! 😉
Substitutions and Variations
Here are a few ways you can customize or make substitutions to this recipe:
- Add spice with hot sauce or red pepper flakes.
- Give it a smoky taste with smoked paprika or a teaspoon or two of liquid smoke.
- Make this sloppy joe crock pot recipe low carb and keto by using sugar free ketchup and a brown sugar substitute.
- Stuff the leftover sloppy joe mixture into bell peppers and place in the slow cooker. Cook on low until the bell peppers are done.
How To Make Crock Pot Sloppy Joes
For full instructions please see the recipe card below.
Cook onions, ground beef, and pork sausage in a skillet until done. Transfer to the crock pot.
Add all remaining ingredients.
Cover and slow cook 6 to 8 hours.
Serve on a hamburger bun or if following low carb, a chaffle or keto bun.
Top Tip: If the mixture becomes too runny, you can whisk in 1/2 teaspoon of xantham gum dissolved in olive oil, or 1 to 1-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch with 2 tablespoons cold water. Add to the sloppy joe mixture and continue cooking with the lid off until it thickens.
How to Serve
The classic way to serve sloppy joes is on a hamburger bun. If you are following a low carb and keto diet serve over a chaffle, a keto bun, or a grilled or broiled portobello mushroom.
Meal idea! Serve on a bun topped with this dill pickle slaw.
Crock Pot Sloppy Joes
- 2 pounds ground beef 80%
- 1 pound pork sausage
- 1 large onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- ¾ cup ketchup use sugar free if on keto
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar use Swerve if on keto
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire
- ½ teaspoon salt
Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add ground beef, pork sausage, and onion. Cook until no longer pink and onions are tender.
- Spray crockpot with a nonstick spray. Add cooked meat and onion mixture to slow cooker.
- Add garlic, tomato sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, tomato paste, vinegar, mustard, chili powder, Worcestershire, and salt to slow cooker. Combine all ingredients. Turn on low for 4 to 6 hours.
- If the mixture has become too runny, you can whisk in 1/2 teaspoon of xantham gum and let sit for about 15 minutes to thicken. Add more as needed, but only 1/4 teaspoon at a time. A little goes a long way.
- Serve (low carb serving suggestions below)
© 2024 Seeking Good Eats™