Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes are full of flavor with a combination of ground beef and pork in a delectable tangy sauce. Both low carb and keto-friendly, this is a perfect weeknight family dinner idea that everyone can enjoy. So delicious!
Watch How To Make Sloppy Joes Slow Cooker Recipe
Why You'll Love Crock Pot Sloppy Joes
Delicious. Cooking low and slow all day blends the flavors to perfection! A savory, sweet, tangy combination that is just delicious!
It's Easy. This is an EASY slow cooker recipe. Because the meat needs to be browned, I like to prep it ahead of time and cook the meat and vegetables beforehand. Then I add all ingredients and keep it in the fridge until the day I want to cook it.
Family-Friendly. Kids love sloppy joes and this is an easy recipe that you can make in a hurry. My kids gobble this up - when they were young and even now as teens.
Low Carb and Keto. With 26.2 grams of fat, 22.3 grams of protein, and 5.6 net carbs, this is a keto-friendly sloppy joe!
Ingredients You'll Need For This Sloppy Joe Recipe
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this crock pot sloppy joe recipe:
- 80/20 Ground Beef: a leaner ground may also be used.
- Pork Sausage: using pork sausage adds a ton of flavor!
- Onion: use white or yellow. If you want to add a bit of sweetness you can use red onion.
- Tomato Sauce
- Brown Sugar: use regular brown sugar, or keto followers use a brown sugar substitute (adjust to taste)
- Tomato Paste
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Prepared Yellow Mustard
- Chili Powder
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
How To Make Crock Pot Sloppy Joes
Simple and delicious! Here's how you make sloppy joes in your slow cooker:
Cook onions, ground beef, and pork sausage in a skillet until done. Transfer to the crock pot.
Add all remaining ingredients.
Cover and slow cook 6 to 8 hours.
Serve on a hamburger bun or if following low carb, a chaffle or keto bun.
Tip Tip: If the mixture becomes too runny, you can whisk in 1/2 teaspoon of xantham gum dissolved in olive oil, or 1 to 1-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch with 2 tablespoons cold water. Add to the sloppy joe mixture and continue cooking with the lid off until it thickens.
For full instructions please see the recipe card below.
How to Serve
Here are a few ways to serve slow cooker sloppy joes:
The classic way to serve sloppy joes is on a hamburger bun. If you are following a low carb and keto diet serve over a chaffle, a keto bun, or a grilled or broiled portobello mushroom.
Meal idea! Serve on a bun topped with this dill pickle slaw (also low carb and keto).
Here are a few ways you can customize or make substitutions to this recipe:
- Add spice with hot sauce or red pepper flakes.
- Give it a smoky taste with smoked paprika or a teaspoon or two of liquid smoke.
- Make this sloppy joe crock pot recipe low carb and keto by using sugar free ketchup and a brown sugar substitute.
- Stuff the leftover sloppy joe mixture into bell peppers and place in the slow cooker. Cook on low until the bell peppers are done.
More Slow Cooker Recipes with Beef
- Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff is one of the most popular recipes on this site - you should definitely check it out.
- No Bean Chili Slow Cooker Recipe is a delicious Texas-style chili with BBQ sauce!
- Crock Pot Cube Steak is total comfort food. Cube steak is always so economical too!
- Best Corned Beef Recipe is one of the best tasting corned beef and cabbage recipes out there and you can make it in your slow cooker or Instant Pot.
If you tried Slow Cooker Pot Sloppy Joes, let me know! I'd love for you to come back and give the recipe a star rating and/or a review in the comments! 🙂 Let's stay connected, so please share photos of your creations with me and others on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
Crock Pot Sloppy Joes
- 2 pounds ground beef 80%
- 1 pound pork sausage
- 1 large onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- ¾ cup ketchup use sugar free if on keto
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar use Swerve if on keto
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire
- ½ teaspoon salt
Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add ground beef, pork sausage, and onion. Cook until no longer pink and onions are tender.
- Spray crockpot with a nonstick spray. Add cooked meat and onion mixture to slow cooker.
- Add garlic, tomato sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, tomato paste, vinegar, mustard, chili powder, Worcestershire, and salt to slow cooker. Combine all ingredients. Turn on low for 4 to 6 hours.
- If the mixture has become too runny, you can whisk in 1/2 teaspoon of xantham gum and let sit for about 15 minutes to thicken. Add more as needed, but only 1/4 teaspoon at a time. A little goes a long way.
- Serve (low carb serving suggestions below)
© 2023 Seeking Good Eats™