This Roasted Red Cabbage Recipe is so tasty! Super easy and only a few ingredients. Roasted cabbage with olive oil, goat cheese, toasted walnuts, and balsamic vinegar is chock full of flavor - and even non-cabbage lovers will eat!
This recipe is low carb, gluten-free, and ketogenic.
Roasted Red Cabbage
"I always hated cabbage as a kid. Now I can't get enough of this roasted version with goat cheese, walnuts, and balsamic! It's such a simple side dish too!" -Kori
It's Not Just For The Holidays
Red cabbage isn't just for the holidays! For years growing, our Grandmother served red cabbage at every Christmas dinner. A popular Scandinavian recipe (our Grandfather was Danish) that consisted of shredded red cabbage, vinegar, sugar, and current jelly cooked gently on the stove.
If you are like me, wondering if there is more to cabbage than the simple dish Grandma used to make - I got some news, there's another way to fix it! Roasting red cabbage is my absolute favorite way to make it.
Easy Healthy Side Dish
There are lots of red cabbage recipes out there but this recipe is so simple and uses minimal ingredients. PLUS- it's healthy too!!
Did you know that cabbage is, has over 14% of your day's Vitamin K, 11% Vitamin C, and 11% Calcium? Yep, packed into 1 slice!
7 Min Prep & 5 Ingredients
Roasted cabbage only takes 7 minutes of prep and uses only 5 ingredients (excluding salt & pepper).
There are toasted walnuts in these recipes, so if you're not feeling like toasting them, it's okay to toss them on raw. You can also omit it altogether.
Low Carb & Keto Cabbage
Roasting cabbage with olive oil and topping with goat cheese and toasted walnuts make it a perfect keto cabbage recipe.
16.5 g fat | 5.3 g net carbs | 5.2 g protein
🎥 Watch Video
What Can I Serve With Roasted Red Cabbage?
Of course, we all know that roast goose and red cabbage is a popular Christmas meal for many people worldwide.
However, red cabbage is THE perfect year-round recipe and goes great with many chicken, pork, turkey, and beef recipes! Here are some ideas:
- Easy Slow Cooker Pork Butt Roast (Low Carb Pork Roast)
- How to Roast A Goose (Christmas Goose Recipe)
- Dry rub grilled chicken
- Brown Sugar Bourbon Glazed Ham (Sugar Free Glazed Ham)
- Tender Slow Cooker Tuscan Turkey Breast
- Grilled Ribeye Steak
Here are some different ways you can use or change up this recipe:
- Grill the cabbage instead of roasting in the oven.
- Don't use cheese, nuts, or vinegar. It's good just roasting in olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Dice leftovers and add to soup.
- Turn it into a hash and top with an egg for a healthy breakfast.
- Change up the recipe and substitute different cheeses and herbs.
- Top with bacon, diced ham, or chicken.
Ingredients and Tools
- Red cabbage - you can also use green cabbage
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Goat cheese crumbles
- Walnuts - chopped and toasted
- Balsamic vinegar - about 1 tsp per cabbage slice
- Cutting Board
- Rimmed Baking Sheet
- Aluminum Foil
- Measuring Cups
- Chef Knife
- Measuring Spoons
- Small Skillet - for toasting walnuts
Here's how to make this Roasted Red Cabbage Recipe:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lay foil on a rimmed baking sheet and spray lightly with nonstick spray.
Slice the cabbage in half, then slice the half into 4 wedges.
Season and Roast
Drizzle with half of the olive oil, then sprinkle half of the salt, pepper. Place in oven and roast the cabbage for 15 minutes.
Remove from oven, flip cabbage wedges over and drizzle with remaining olive oil and seasoning. Place back in the oven and roast for another 15 minutes or until the cabbage is tender.
Remove from oven, and place wedges on a platter. Sprinkle goat cheese, walnuts, and thyme over the top. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and serve.
Season with additional salt, pepper, and vinegar to taste! Enjoy!
How to cook red cabbage
There are many ways to cook red cabbage. Here are a few options:
- Cut into wedges or steaks and sprinkle with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Lay on a baking sheet and roast in an oven at 425F until tender, turning halfway.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Air fry cabbage wedges or steaks at 350F to 375F for about 20 to 25 minutes until tender.
- Shred raw cabbage and toss with coleslaw dressing or other favorite dressing. Try our dill pickle slaw - so delicious.
- Steam cabbage and serve with butter, salt, and pepper.
- Saute wedges, or steak in a skillet.
- Add to stew or soups.
How many calories in red cabbage?
Red cabbage calories are about 22 calories per 1 cup. This recipe has 190 calories due to the olive oil, goat cheese, walnuts, and balsamic vinegar.
How do I store this red cabbage recipe?
Store this roasted cabbage recipe in an air-tight container for up to 3 days.
Can I freeze this recipe?
No, we do not recommend freezing this recipe.
How long will this recipe keep?
Roasted cabbage will keep up to 3 days.
Is cabbage keto?
Absolutely, yes. Cabbage is a great vegetable to eat on keto. This roasted red cabbage recipe has 16.5g fat, 5.3 net carbs, and 5.2g protein.
For more information on what foods are okay to eat on keto see my Keto Food Guide and Grocery List
More Side Dish Recipes
Want to try some different vegetable recipes and side dish recipes?
- Italian Roasted Cabbage Slices
- Baked Zucchini Casserole With Cheese
- Low Carb Eggplant Parmesan (Eggplant Gratin)
- Blue Cheese Wedge Salad Recipe
- Green Bean Casserole with Bacon And Cheese
- Easy Cauliflower Cheese (Keto Cauliflower Cheese)
⭐ Stay Connected
If you made this Roasted Red Cabbage, I'd love for you to come back and give the recipe a star rating and/or a review in the comments! 🙂 Let's stay connected, so please share photos of your creations with me and others on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
Roasted red cabbage with goat cheese, walnuts, and balsamic vinegar is a super EASY side dish! So tender and loaded with flavor. Roasting cabbage brings out its flavor, and when topped with cheese, nuts, & herbs - it is the BEST. This healthy side dish is a low carb and keto roasted vegetable recipe. A simple, easy recipe for weeknights or holidays. #cabbage #roastedvegetable #roastedcabbage #easyrecipe #easysidedish #sidedish #lowcarb #keto #keto #LCHF #redcabbage #holidayrecipe #weeknightdinner