🎥 Recipe Video
Why You'll ❤️ This Basic Keto Chaffle Recipe
"2-ingredient, 5 minutes to make - SO MANY USES! You'll love it."
If you've got eggs and cheese, a waffle maker, and 5 minutes - you can make these!
So Many Uses
Use these as a bread or bun replacement for sandwiches, burgers, bratwurst, and hot dogs. Makes a great taco shell and a perfect pizza crust. Keep it basic or customize each with a few tweaks. Enjoy!
Chaffles have 302 calories, 2 carbs, and 24 grams of fat. No sugar is added, these are gluten-free, low carbohydrate, and keto.
🥘 What You'll Need
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this basic chaffle recipe:
- Shredded Cheese - start with cheddar cheese and substitute other cheese according to the type of recipe you are using. Maybe you want a mild cheese for sandwich bread like jack or mozzarella cheese. Pepper jack is amazing when using as a taco shell.
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
🔪 How To Make It
Here are the step-by-step instructions for making a basic chaffle recipe:
Mix The Batter
Preheat the waffle iron to the highest setting.
In a small bowl add egg and grated cheese. Mix well until combined.
Pour the batter over the center of the hot waffle maker and close lid.
Cook until the outside reaches your desired level of crispiness.
🥗 How To Serve It
Here are a few ways to serve this keto chaffle recipe:
Use 2 smaller chaffles for a delicious sandwich or as a bun for a burgers, hot dogs, brats, sloppy joes, and pulled pork.
Turn them into a seriously good pizza chaffle with only a few ingredients.
Make a breakfast sandwich with egg, cheese, and ham or sausage.
Here are a few ways you can vary or make substitutions to this recipe:
- Make them spicy by adding red pepper flakes or cayenne to you mix.
- Use any favorite shredded cheese, or even a combination of cheeses. Jack cheese, pepper jack, mozzarella, colby jack, are all great options.
- Add Italian herbs if making a pizza. Add cumin and chili powder if making a taco - get creative!
- Finely chopped fresh herbs can be added to the batter as well.
💭 Top Tips
- The chaffles can be made ahead of time and kept in an air-tight bag in the refrigerator or even frozen up to 3 months. Reheat and crisp up in a toaster or an air fryer.
- If using a mini waffle iron this recipe will make 2 chaffles. If using a standard waffle iron, it will make one.
- If you tried this basic chaffle recipe and loved it I recommend that you buy a regular 6 to 8" waffle maker and a mini size - they are inexpensive. I used the larger waffle maker for waffle I want to bend (like a taco shells and hot dogs), or put ingredients on top of, and the mini size for bread and bun replacements.
To store leftovers, let the chaffle cool completely, then transfer to an airtight container or plastic bag. Store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. See reheating and freezing instructions below.
Shells can be reheated in a toaster or an air fryer, or oven at 350 degrees F for a few minutes.
Place the any leftover chaffles in a freezer-safe plastic bag and freeze. Freeze up to 3 months.
A chaffle is a delicious low carb, gluten free, and keto bread replacement. Minimal ingredients are used, a basic chaffle recipe has just egg and cheese - but there are many interpretations.
✔️ More Ways To Serve Chaffles
Here are more recipes that can be served with your chaffles:
- Italian Crockpot Sausage and Peppers
- Chicken Fajita Casserole - wrap the casserole mixture in the chaffle.
- Cajun Keto Sausage and Peppers Recipe
- Keto Chicken Parmesan Recipe
- Chicken Tinga Tostadas
- Peanut Butter Burger with Bacon
- Cheese Curd Bacon Burger Recipe
Basic Low Carb and Keto Chaffle
- 1 small 6" to 8" waffle maker (makes 1 larger chaffle)
- or, mini waffle maker (A Dash mini waffle maker makes 2 chaffles)
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup freshly grated cheddar cheese (cheddar, mozzarella, or jack cheese are all fine)
- Preheat waffle iron to the highest setting.
- In a small bowl add egg and grated cheese. Mix well until combined.
- Pour mixture over the center of the hot waffle maker and close lid.
- Cook until the outside is to your desired crispiness.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- VARIATIONS: use any variety of shredded cheese, add dried herbs, chopped chives, and red pepper flakes if you like spice.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Use as a bun for sandwiches, sloppy joes, tacos, burgers, hot dogs, and brats.
- NOTE: if using a mini waffle iron this recipe will make 2 chaffles. If using a standard waffle iron, this will make one.
© 2023 Seeking Good Eats™