Skillet Bruschetta Chicken Recipe (Keto Low Carb) is a 30 minute or less skillet recipe with only 10 ingredients, so it's perfect for busy weeknights!
From stovetop to oven in one pan, this chicken recipe topped with fresh tomato and basil bruschetta is utterly delicious. A huge hit in our house!
You'll Love Bruschetta Chicken Recipe
"I absolutely love tomato basil bruschetta! This version makes a delicious dinner that everyone loves, and I get my favorite bruschetta flavor without adding all of the carbs. " -Kori
30 Minutes or Less with Less Than 10 Ingredients
This recipe will take 30 minutes or less and uses less than 10 ingredients. Start by marinating chicken. While the chicken is marinating, make the tomato basil bruschetta topping. Total cooking time is approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
I find this chicken bruschetta recipe so tasty. I love the unexpected freshness of the tomato basil bruschetta mixture as a topping for the chicken.
I love the tomato basil bruschetta topping and put it on many things - pork chops, steak, fish, etc. So good. It's kind of like the Italian version of salsa, only not spicy, just super flavorful.
One Pan Start To Finish
You'll love that you can take this chicken recipe from your stovetop to the oven - and only use one pan. A cast-iron skillet is one of my favorite kitchen pans, and I use it a lot. It's one of the most versatile items I own! I highly suggest you buy one you won't regret it.
Gluten Free, Low Carb, Keto Recipe
Only 4.8 grams of net carbs! With such low carbs, 29.7 grams of fat, and 46 grams of protein, this chicken recipe should fit your daily fat, carb, and protein requirements nicely.
If you would like to increase the healthy fat in this recipe, I recommend that you drizzle extra olive oil over your chicken. You could also top with avocado or diced avocado into your tomato-basil topping.
You can find the full nutritional analysis at the bottom of the recipe card, but here are the most important numbers if you are following a low carb and ketogenic diet:
29.7 g fat | 4.8 g net carbs | 46.3 g protein
How To Serve
Here are a few ideas of what goes with bruschetta chicken!
- Overnight Layered Salad
- Zucchini Carpaccio
- Fresh green salad with a favorite dressing
- Steam broccoli or cauliflower - or any favorite steamed vegetable.
- If you're not following a low carb or keto diet, you could serve with a side of rice or favorite pasta tossed with some pesto sauce.
Here are some different ways you can make substitutions or customize your chicken bruschetta recipe:
- Use halved cherry tomatoes instead of diced aroma.
- Substitute 1 tsp dried basil for every tablespoon in any recipe. If using in this recipe, I would allow the bruschetta mixture to sit for a while to allow the flavors to blend. In fact, make it the day before, and it will be extra yummy.
- For more tang, add a little balsamic vinegar or white wine vinegar.
- Grill your chicken instead of cooking in a skillet then oven - I do this a lot!
- Use precooked chicken breasts for a quick meal. I keep a bag of frozen grilled chicken breasts in the freezer for quick and simple meals!
- Substitute chicken thighs for the breasts.
- Serve tomato basil bruschetta over pork or beef. If serving over beef, add a little balsamic vinegar to the tomato topping.
- Experiment with different herbs, or use a mix of herbs in the marinade. It's fun to experiment! Rosemary, marjoram, basil, Italian seasoning, herbs de Provence, etc.
- Substitute a different diced vegetable if you don't like bell peppers!
- Add more diced vegetables (keeping the same overall quantity, so you have the right proportion of other ingredients). Avocado, cucumber, zucchini, baby yellow squash all work great.
Ingredients and Tools
Tomato Basil Bruschetta
- 1 cup chopped roma tomatos, diced
- 1/2 cup yellow pepper, diced (any color will do but yellow is pretty!)
- 1/2 cup basil, stacked, rolled, and then thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 (6 oz) chicken breasts, boneless and skinless (pounded out to 1/2" thick)
- 1/4 cup olive oil (use 1/8 cup for the marinade and 1/8 cup for the pan)
- 1/8 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- optional garnish: parmesan cheese
- 12" cast iron skillet or a skillet plus a casserole dish
- Measuring spoons
- 2 small Mixing bowl
- Chef knife
- Cutting board
- Gallon sized plastic bag
- Mixing spoons
Here are the instructions for making this delicious bruschetta chicken skillet recipe: 🙂
Marinate The Chicken
Place chicken in a plastic bag and add Italian seasoning, 1/8 cup of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper. Let marinate for 10 to 15 minutes.
Make The Tomato Basil Bruschetta
Preheat your oven to 450-degrees Fahrenheit. Mix tomato, bell peppers, basil, garlic, 1/2 tsp olive oil, sea salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Stir and set aside.
Sear The Chicken
Add 1/8 cup olive to an ovenproof skillet and preheat over medium-high heat. Place chicken in a pan and cook for 4 minutes. Turn over and cook for 3 more minutes.
Top each slice with provolone cheese Bake in the oven for 7 - 9 minutes or until done.
Top with Bruschetta
Remove chicken from oven, cover with foil and allow it to rest for 5 to 7 minutes. Serve and top with the tomato-basil mixture, then garnish with parmesan cheese.
Here are some cooking tips for making the BEST Bruschetta Chicken Recipe:
- Make sure to dice the tomatoes and bell pepper as opposed to chopping. Dicing the vegetables into smaller bits works better when using for a topping such as this.
- Pound your chicken breast into a uniform thickness of 1/2 ". Use 6 oz breasts. If the breasts you purchased from the store are too large, cut them into 6 oz portions. This will all help you to achieve even cooking and moist chicken.
- Chicken is done when it is no longer pink inside. If you are unsure or want to be really accurate, use an instant-read thermometer to check. The USDA recommends cooking chicken at 165-degrees F. I remove the chicken at 160 to 162-degrees, then cover will foil and allow it to rest. It will continue to heat and come to 165 while resting.
Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Yes! Definitely. You can premake the tomato basil bruschetta ahead of time (1 day) and store it in an airtight container. The flavors will blend nicely!
The chicken can be marinated for up to 2 days. Make sure to remove chicken from the refrigerator 15 to 30 minutes before cooking. From there, proceed with the recipe.
What is Bruschetta Chicken?
Bruschetta chicken is a unique and tasty alternative to the traditional bruschetta served over bread. This chicken bruschetta recipe uses chicken breasts that are marinated in a balsamic vinaigrette. The chicken is then seared and then baked and topped with cheese and the tomato basil bruschetta topping. So good!
Bruschetta is actually an appetizer or starter (called antipasto) in Italy. It is usually made with small thin slices of bread that have been toasted and rubbed with garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper. It is then topped with tomatoes, spreads, cheeses, meats, etc.
The most common bruschetta topping is a mixture of diced tomato (or other vegetables), basil, olive oil, salt, and pepper. People often add a little vinegar such as balsamic or white wine vinegar.
How do you pronounce Bruschetta?
In Italy, it is pronounced like broo-sketta (broo-skeh-tah). The letter c and letter h combined together are pronounced like a k. In the US many people pronounce it as broo-shetta.
Can I use pre-cooked chicken?
Yes! You can use pre-cooked chicken breasts. It's not going to have the same taste as searing the chicken with the marinade, but it will still be good!
Warm the chicken breasts according to the recipe instructions. Top with a slice of provolone cheese, melt the cheese (microwave for a few seconds is a great way), then top with tomato basil bruschetta.
Here are three ideas for cooked chicken breasts:
- Quick cook chicken in a pressure cooker. Cook the chicken on HIGH pressure for 8 to 10 minutes (with 1 cup of water) and quick release the pressure when done. Super simple!
- Use frozen pre-cooked grilled chicken breasts.
- Use pre-cooked chicken breast from the meat department or deli from your local grocery store.
How long do to bake chicken?
You only have to bake this chicken for 7 - 9 minutes (or until done) because you've already partially cooked the chicken in your cast-iron skillet for 6 minutes.
I don't have a cast-iron skillet can I use a casserole dish?
No problem! You can use a different oven-proof skillet to sear the chicken, or if it's not ovenproof, you can then transfer the chicken (including all juices) to a casserole dish that can withstand 450-degree temp. Proceed with the recipe from there by topping with cheese and baking.
Can I freeze this recipe?
Yes, you can, but only the cooked chicken. You can precook the chicken without topping it with cheese. Cool, then place in a freezer-safe container or freezer bag.
When you're ready to make this dish, thaw in the refrigerator, then warm in the microwave (be careful not to over warm - they get dry easily). Top with cheese and then microwave for 5 more seconds. Top with the tomato basil bruschetta topping, and enjoy!
Low Carb Keto Skillet Recipes To Love
All of the healthy casserole recipes below are low carb, gluten-free, sugar-free, and ketogenic. Enjoy! 🙂
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- Keto Chicken Pot Pie Casserole (Low Carb Gluten Free)
- French Country Skillet Chicken Dinner (Keto Low Carb)
- Reuben Bake With Meatballs (Keto Reuben Casserole)
- Zucchini Ground Beef Taco Casserole
- Low Carb Tuna Casserole (Keto Seafood Casserole)
More Keto Chicken Recipes
- Crockpot Balsamic Chicken
- Creamy Chicken and Asparagus Bake
- Slow Cooker Sesame Chicken (Keto Low Carb)
- Buffalo Chicken Burgers (Low Carb Keto Burgers)
- Crockpot Chicken Fajita Soup (Low Carb Keto Soup Recipe)
- Green Enchiladas Chicken Soup (Keto Slow Cooker Mexican Soup)
How to Share This Recipe
We'd LOVE for you to help us share this recipe! Here's how:
Review our recipe
We love reviews! Please leave a review and a comment. Your feedback is appreciated! 🙂
Share Your Photos
Show us what a star chef you are! Take photos of this dish and share them! We'd LOVE to see them!
Upload a photo of this dish to our Pinterest pin
tag @seekinggoodeats and hashtag it #seekinggoodeats
Pin Our Pin
Share our pin and pin on Pinterest!
This bruschetta chicken recipe is an easy 30 minutes or less skillet recipe you will LOVE. From stovetop to oven in one pan, this chicken recipe topped with fresh tomato and basil bruschetta is utterly delicious. Bruschetta chicken is a gluten free, low carb, whole30, and keto recipe. #bruschettachicken #chickenrecipe #lowcarb #keto #skillet #castiron #dinnerrecipe #healthyrecipe #glutenfree #tomato #basil #healthydinner #onepan #onepot