French Country Skillet Chicken Dinner is a tasty one-pan dinner your family will love! With tender chicken, sauteed vegetables, and a creamy herbs de Provence sauce this will soon become a favorite recipe.
This french country chicken recipe is low carb, keto-friendly, gluten-free, and sugar-free. Voila!
You'll ❤️ Country French Chicken Recipe!
One of my favorite memories is from a small farmer's market we visited in Antibes where I bought a packet of freshly made herbs de Provence from a local vendor. I fell in love. These amazing herbs are the inspiration for this French Country Chicken. 🙂 Oh, the amazing flavors! -Kori
The Flavors of France
I was really inspired to make this recipe after a recent trip that my husband and I took to France. We had the most amazing time, and one thing is for certain - the French make some REALLY good food!!
The French take great pride in their cuisine and value high quality, fresh, simple, whole ingredients.
What Are Herbs de Provence?
Herbs de Provence is a mixture of dried herbs (or fresh) that originates from the Provence region of France. It is usually made of equal parts lavender, thyme (thym), rosemary (romarin), oregano (origan), and savory (sarriette). Many times marjoram (marjolaine) and other herbs (herbes) may be added too.
Best Chicken Recipe
This chicken recipe was a HUGE hit in my house. My kids are older now and love mushrooms, but they won't typically eat zucchini. Maybe it's the combination of flavors and the sauce (which is really a gravy), but they ate this up like they hadn't eaten in days. LOL!
Easy One Pan Chicken Recipe
I love that this is a one-pan recipe. It means less clean up for me and that really just makes life easier, right?
Low Carb and Keto Chicken
With 26 g fat and only 6 grams net carbs, this creamy skillet dinner is a perfect low carb and keto chicken recipe.
🥗 How To Serve
There are many ways you can serve your country French chicken skillet, here are my favorite. Since most families have mixed dietary needs I am including both low carb keto options as well as NON-low carb ideas:
Low Carb and Keto Sides
- Roasted or steamed cauliflower. In florets or riced.
- Steamed broccoli in florets or riced.
- Mashed cauliflower.
- A side salad such as this Overnight Layered Salad. It tastes great and will last several days so it makes a great lunch or salad for another dinner! I make this A LOT 🙂
Non-Low Carb Side Ideas
- Mashed potatoes
- Roasted potatoes
🥘 Ingredients and Tools
Here's what you'll need to make French Country Skillet Chicken Dinner:
- 5 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup leek, chopped
- 2 lb chicken breast, pound to 1/2 to 3/4" thick
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 - 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp herbs de Provence
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum or 2 Tbsp flour (option thickener; xanthan gum is the low carb option)
- 12" skillet (cast iron is my favorite)
- chef's knife
- cutting board
- measuring spoons
- dry measuring cups
- liquid measuring cups (the best!)
Here's how to make this country french chicken recipe:
- In a 12" skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add chicken to the pan and cook for 6 minutes. Turn chicken after 3 to 4 minutes or when it begins to brown. Remove chicken, cover, and keep warm. (See image 1 below)
- Add leeks to the skillet and saute until tender. Then, add mushrooms, zucchini, and garlic, sauteing until tender. Add spinach and saute until wilted. Reduce heat to medium-low and add the chicken back to the pan. (See image 2 below)
- Whisk chicken broth, cream, salt, pepper, herbs de Provence, and xanthan gum (or flour) together in a small bowl. (See image 3 below)
- Pour over chicken. Bring to a simmer (reducing heat if necessary) and cook for 10 more minutes, or until liquid is reduced and thickened. Stir frequently to prevent sticking. (See image 4 below)
💭 Helpful Tips
- If, after simmering for 10 minutes, the sauce mixture is still too runny, remove chicken and set aside. Continue simmering the sauce until liquid is reduced about 3 to 4 more minutes. Add chicken back to the pan and serve.
- You can add 1/2 cup sour cream if you want more creaminess too! You will have to adjust your salt and pepper to taste.
- To lower the fat content in this recipe reduce the amount of butter. You can also substitute olive oil for butter. You can also substitute half and half, but it will make the recipe runnier so you will need to cook the sauce down in the skillet for a longer period of time, or you can use a little more xanthan gum (low carb option) or flour.
- When adding xanthan gum to a dish, dissolve it in a little olive oil before adding it so it won't clump. Use xanthan gum sparingly as A little goes a long way! I turned a dish into a gummy mess once, so I know first hand! In this recipe, start with 1/2 tsp only.
📋 Printable Recipe
✔️ Related Recipes
- Creamy Chicken and Asparagus Bake
- Healthy Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole (Low Carb Keto)
- Skillet Chicken Fajitas Bake (Low Carb and Keto)
- Low Carb Chicken in Tomato Basil Cream Sauce
⭐ How to Share This Recipe
We'd LOVE for you to help us share this recipe! Here's how:
Review and Comment on This Recipe
We love reviews! Please leave any questions and comments below and don't forget to review our dish!
Share Your Photos
Show us what a star chef you are! Take photos of this dish and share them! We'd LOVE to see them!
Upload a photo of this dish to our Pinterest pin
tag @seekinggoodeats and hashtag it #seekinggoodeats
Pin our Pin
Share our pin and pin on Pinterest!
This French country skillet chicken dinner is so delish! A perfect one-pan dinner that is also a low carb and keto recipe. Tender chicken, sauteed vegetables, and a creamy herbs de Provence sauce make this recipe oh so good! Voila! The flavors of France, with simple steps and one pan skillet meal, this is perfect for busy weeknights. #skilletmeal #castiron #keto #lowcarb #ketogenic #onepandinner #easyrecipe #french