French Country Skillet Chicken Dinner is a tasty one-pan dinner you're family will love! With tender chicken, sauteed vegetables, and a creamy herbs de Provence sauce this will soon become a favorite recipe. This french country chicken recipe is low carb, keto-friendly, gluten-free, and sugar-free. Voila!
French Country Skillet Chicken Dinner
This French country skillet chicken dinner is so delish! A perfect one-pan dinner that is also a low carb and keto recipe. Tender chicken, sauteed vegetables, and a creamy herbs de Provence sauce make this recipe oh so good! Voila! The flavors of France, with simple steps and one pan skillet meal, this is perfect for busy weeknights. #skilletmeal #castiron #keto #lowcarb #ketogenic #onepandinner #easyrecipe #french
Why You Will Love This Country French Chicken Recipe!
| The Flavors of France
I was really inspired to make this recipe after a recent trip that my husband and I took to France. We had the most amazing time, and one thing is for certain - the French make some REALLY good food!! They take great pride in their cuisine and value high quality, fresh, simple, whole ingredients. We had gone to a market and I found a local vendor who had made up fresh herbs de Provence - and I fell in love. Oh, the flavors!
| What Is Herbs de Provence?
Herbs de Provence is a mixture of dried herbs (or fresh) that originates from the Provence region of France. It is usually made of equal parts lavender, thyme (thym), rosemary (romarin), oregano (origan), and savory (sarriette). Many times marjoram (marjolaine) and other herbs (herbes) may be added too.
| Best Chicken Recipe
This chicken recipe was a HUGE hit in my house. My kids are older now and love mushrooms, but they won't typically eat zucchini. Maybe it's the combination of flavors and the sauce (which is really a gravy), but they ate this up like they hadn't eaten in days. LOL!
| Easy One Pan Chicken Recipe
I love that this is a one-pan recipe. It means less clean up for me and that really just makes life easier, right?
| Low Carb and Keto Chicken
With 26 g fat and only 6 grams net carbs, this creamy skillet dinner is a perfect low carb and keto chicken recipe.
What To Serve With Country French Chicken
The answer to this depends upon whether you are following a low carb or keto diet, or not. 🙂
Low Carb and Keto Options:
Non Low Carb Options:
- Mashed potatoes
- Roasted potatoes
What You Will Need to Make French Country Skillet Chicken Dinner
This post may contain affiliate links, which help to keep this content free (Full Disclosure)
- 12" skillet (cast iron is my favorite)
- chef's knife
- cutting board
- measuring spoons
- dry measuring cups
- liquid measuring cups (the best!)
- 5 Tbsp butter
- ½ cup leek, chopped
- 2 lb chicken breast, pound to ½ to ¾" thick
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into ½" pieces
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 2 cups baby spinach
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 - ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 tsp herbs de Provence
- ½ tsp xanthan gum or 2 Tbsp flour (option thickener; xanthan gum is the low carb option)
How To Make Country French Chicken
In a 12" skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add chicken to the pan and cook for 6 minutes. Turn chicken after 3 to 4 minutes or when it begins to brown. Remove chicken, cover, and keep warm.
Add leeks to the skillet and saute until tender. Add mushrooms, zucchini, and garlic, sauteing until tender. Add spinach and saute until wilted. Reduce heat to medium-low and add the chicken back to the pan.
Whisk chicken broth, cream, salt, pepper, herbs de Provence, and xanthan gum (or flour) together in a small bowl. Pour over chicken. Bring to a simmer (reducing heat if necessary) and cook for 10 more minutes, or until liquid is reduced and thickened. Stir frequently to prevent sticking.
- If, after simmering for 10 minutes, the sauce mixture is still too runny, remove chicken and set aside. Continue simmering the sauce until liquid is reduced about 3 to 4 more minutes. Add chicken back to the pan and serve.
- You can add ½ cup sour cream if you want more creaminess too! You will have to adjust your salt and pepper to taste.
- To lower the fat content in this recipe reduce the amount of butter. You can also substitute olive oil for butter. You can also substitute half and half, but it will make the recipe runnier so you will need to cook the sauce down in the skillet for a longer period of time, or you can use a little more xanthan gum (low carb option) or flour.
- When adding xanthan gum to a dish, dissolve it in a little olive oil before adding so it won't clump. Use xanthan gum sparingly as A little goes a long way! I turned a dish into a gummy mess once, so I know first hand! In this recipe, start with ½ tsp only.
More Chicken Recipes You'll Love
- Skillet Chicken Fajitas Bake (Low Carb and Keto)
- Low Carb Chicken in Tomato Basil Cream Sauce
- Green Enchiladas Chicken Soup (Keto Slow Cooker Mexican Soup)
- Hawaiian Chicken Salad (Keto Chicken Salad Recipe)
- Crockpot Cream of Chicken and Mushroom Soup (Keto Soup Slow Cooker)
- Spicy Thai Basil Chicken Recipe (Thai Chicken Slow Cooker)
We'd Love To Hear From You!
We'd LOVE for you to help us share this recipe! Here's how:
1 | REVIEW OUR RECIPE
We love reviews! Please leave any questions and comments below and don't forget to review our dish!
2 | SHARE YOUR PHOTOS
Show us what a star chef you are! Take photos of this dish and share them! We'd LOVE to see them!
Upload a photo of this dish to our Pinterest pin
tag @seekinggoodeats and hashtag it #seekinggoodeats
3 | PIN OUR PIN
Share our pin and pin on Pinterest!
Pin me for later!