Roasted Cherry Tomato Soup is loaded with flavor from fresh cherry tomatoes, Italian herbs, broth, and cream. Both tasty and easy to make - since the soup is pureed, there is no need to peel or de-seed the tomatoes. Tomatoes can be roasted on the grill or in your oven. Freezing instructions provided.
You'll ❤️ This Tomato Soup Recipe
Got tomatoes? If you'd like a more traditional version of this soup, be sure to make this Tomato and Basil Soup in your Instant Pot, slow cooker, or on the stovetop. You'll also love this Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Chicken Soup! This Cherry Tomato Caprese Salad is full of flavor and extremely easy to make.
"This is the best tomato soup with fresh tomatoes! You will love this classic twist using grape tomatoes!"
The best way to use up ripe tomatoes. When fresh cherry tomatoes come into season - this is a must make homemade soup recipe. You can eat it now - or freeze it for later!
Freeze it. If you've got extra tomatoes in July and August, your probably don't want soup. It's okay - just freeze it! Make the soup per instructions, but omit the cream until you are ready to serve.
Quick! This recipe is easy to follow and is made in less than an hour! You'll get a slow-cooked all-day taste with this soup by roasting your tomatoes ahead of time. Get ready to dunk your toasted grilled cheese sandwich in this delicious soup!
Healthy. This soup recipe is low-carb, gluten-free, vegetarian, no-added-sugar, and can be dairy free if you remove the cream and optional cheese. Very satisfying, and easily adjust the seasonings as you prefer them.
Cherry Tomato Soup Recipe Ingredients
Here are the ingredients you will need to make Roasted Cherry Tomato Soup:
- Fresh Cherry Tomatoes - you can use any favorite grape tomatoes.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - coconut or avocado oil work well in this recipe.
- Garlic Cloves - fresh minced.
- Kosher salt
- Ground Black Pepper
- Chopped Onion
- Dried Basil - you can use fresh or dried. My rule of thumb: 1 teaspoon of dried herbs equals 1 tablespoon fresh basil.
- Dried Oregano - use fresh oregano or dried.
- Tomato Paste
- Vegetable Broth - chicken broth can also be sued.
- Heavy Whipping Cream or Fat-Free Half and Half - if you are following keto, use heavy whipping cream; if you are lowering your fat, use fat-free half and half. For those that want dairy-free, use oat milk or other plant-based milk.
- Optional: parmesan cheese
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
Be sure to pin this pin to Pinterest and save for later! 😉
Substitutions and Variations
Here are a few ways you can vary or make substitutions to this delicious soup:
- Use your grill to roast your tomatoes! Place tomatoes in a 13x9" disposable pan. Toss with olive oil and garlic. Grill over medium-high heat until very soft (about 15-20 minutes).
- Spice it up if you'd like! Add some red pepper flakes prior to using your immersion blender. You can also roast some jalapenos with the tomatoes and then blend them into the soup.
- Chicken broth may be used in place of vegetable broth if preferred.
How To Make Cherry Tomato Soup
Here are the step-by-step instructions for making this cherry tomato soup recipe:
Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F. (If using the grill to roast your tomatoes, see instructions in the Notes section below).
Add the tomatoes to a medium-sized bowl. Add olive oil and garlic to the bowl and toss together.
Place grape tomatoes on a baking sheet and roast for 25 minutes, or until very tender.
Meanwhile, in a skillet, over medium heat, add oil. Once the oil is hot, saute your chopped onion and celery until soft.
In a dutch oven on the stove over medium-high heat, add your onions and celery, add basil, oregano, bay leaf, tomato paste, vegetable broth, and your roasted cherry tomatoes (and their juices).
Bring to a boil, then reduce your heat to LOW, cover, and gently simmer for 30 minutes.
Using a blender, puree smaller portions of soup until smooth. Add the soup back to the pot. (Alternatively, you can use an immersion blender directly in the pot)
Finish and Serve
Slowly stir the cream and add optional parmesan cheese. Continue over low heat, stirring frequently until the desired temperature is reached.
How To Serve Roasted Cherry Tomato Basil Soup
Here are a few ways to serve this delicious cherry tomato soup:
Garnish with fresh basil or other fresh herbs of your choice. Try topping your soup with crackers or croutons.
Garnish the top with a drizzle of olive oil or cream and parmesan cheese.
Comfort food: serve this homemade tomato soup with your favorite grilled cheese sandwich.
- Make sure to roast your tomatoes fully. You want the skins very tender so the skins will puree in the blender easier.
- Remember to watch your heat when simmering your soup. The natural sugars in the tomatoes can easily burn to the pan or pot if your heat is set too high.
- Adjust any seasonings to taste.
How To Store Cherry Tomato Soup
To store, place into an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 to 4 days.
How To Freeze
Freeze this soup in an airtight container or in a large zip lock bag for up to 3 months
Cherry Tomato Roasted Soup FAQs
Reheat in a microwave-safe dish or on the stovetop in a small pot. Heat the soup until the temperature reaches 165 degrees or more.
You can use them for soup, bake them into loaves of bread or on tarts, confit them, pickle them, make them into jam or a simple tomato sauce, or just simply eat them fresh! Feel free to try my Cherry Tomato Caprese Salad Recipe and utilize those tomatoes!
The answer depends upon the recipe, of course, but this cherry tomato soup recipe is keto with 7 grams net carbs, 148 calories, and 2 grams of fat. Enjoy!
Tomato soup can be frozen. Make the soup per the instructions, omitting any dairy. (In this cherry tomato soup recipe, don't add the cream until you are ready to serve.) Let the soup cool completely then transfer to air tight freezer safe containers for up to 4 months. Add the cream or dairy products when you go to reheat it later.
Cherry Tomato Soup
- 6 cups cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup olive oil (divided)
- 2 teaspoons garlic minced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 ribs celery diced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ cup whipping cream (or fat free half and half)
- optional garnish: parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 450°F. (Alternatively you can use a grill to roast the tomatoes, see instructions in the Notes section below.)
- Add cherry tomatoes to a medium sized bowl. Add olive oil and garlic and toss.
- Place cherry tomatoes on a baking sheet and roast for 25 to 30 minutes, or until very tender.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, over medium-high add olive oil. Sauté onions and celery until soft.
- Add basil, oregano, bay leaf, tomato paste, vegetable broth, and cherry tomatoes (along with oil and juices from the pan). Bring to a boil, reduce heat to LOW, cover, and gently simmer for 30 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender directly in the dutch oven, blend soup until desired consistency is reached. (You can also process smaller portions in a blender and add back into the pot in batches.)
- Slowly stir in cream and add parmesan cheese (if using). Continue over low heat stirring frequently until desired temperature is reached.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- VARIATIONS: Use a grill to roast the cherry tomatoes: Place tomatoes on a 13 x 9" disposable pan. Toss with olive oil and garlic. Grill over medium-high heat until very soft, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- MAKE AHEAD AND FREEZE IT: To make ahead and freeze it for later, omit the cream. Add cream when ready to reheat and serve. Transfer the cooled soup to airtight containers and freeze for up to 4 months.
- TOP TIPS: Adjust any seasoning to taste. Parmesan cheese is optional.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Garnish with fresh basil, a drizzle of olive oil or cream, and some parmesan cheese. For a full meal, serve with a tasty grilled cheese sandwich.
© 2023 Seeking Good Eats™
More Soup Recipes
- Pizza Soup Recipe
- Roasted Red Pepper Soup
- Chicken Fajita Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Soup
- Crockpot Cream of Chicken and Mushroom Soup
- Instant Pot French Onion Soup
- Vegetable Beef Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Soup
- Hearty Lamb Meatball Soup Recipe
- Chili’s Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Apple, Bratwurst, and Red Cabbage Soup
- Greek Lemon Chicken Soup Recipe
- Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Chicken Soup
- Minestrone Soup