Big Mac Sloppy Joes are a delicious super sloppy version of a McDonald's Big Mac. With a very flavorful ground beef mixture, cheese, sesame seed bun, pickles, lettuce, onion, and even our own special sauce - we think these are as good as (or better) than the real thing. 😉
Why You'll ❤️ This Sloppy Joes Recipe
"One word: DELICIOUS. Your family will love this!"
Family Favorite! What's not to love about a combination of cheeseburger and sloppy joes? Kids love them! Customize the toppings to make even your pickiest eater happy.
Tasty Copycat Big Mac. You're gonna love this sloppy joe recipe with its delicious cheeseburger taste - just like a Big Mac.
Easy To Make! Cook everything in a saucepot or deep skillet, toast your buns, then layer on the ingredients.
Make them keto! Make these low carb and keto by using sugar-free ketchup and a brown sugar substitute then serve over a chaffle. De-lish.
Big Mac Sloppy Joes Recipe Ingredients
- Ground Beef - I prefer 80/20 for its flavor.
- Onion - use a yellow onion if possible.
- Whole Dill Pickle - use any favorite whole pickle then dice it up.
- Prepared Yellow Mustard
- Ketchup - use any favorite brand. I used G Hughes Sugar-Free
- Garlic Powder
- Brown Sugar - use a brown sugar substitute if following keto or you are watching your sugar intake.
- Salt and Pepper
- Sesame Seed Hamburger Buns - I usually use 1 bun for each, but McDonald's uses a bottom and a top plus a slice of in the middle. This is your option. For the middle layer, I take the bottom of another bun and slice the crust off.
- Iceberg Lettuce
- Processed Cheddar Cheese Slices - you can use real cheddar slices but if you want to go authentic go with the processed American cheese.
- Copycat Big Mac Sauce - make this from scratch - it's super easy and a must to keep this as close to tasting like McDonald's Big Mac. 😉 Make it several days ahead of time if you want! You could substitute bottled thousand island dressing but it isn't quite the same.
- Sliced Dill Pickles
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
Substitutions and Variations
If you want to make these less of a big mac, here are some ways you can customize your sloppy joes:
- Go for spice. Add sliced jalapeno
- Make it a deluxe. Add bacon and extra cheese and maybe some tomato.
- Use any kind of lettuce you want, or omit it altogether.
- Butter and toast the buns for the best flavor, but this is totally optional!
- Serve over a baked potato, tater tots, or french fries, and top with cheese.
How To Make Big Mac Sloppy Joes
- Brown the beef and cook the onions. In a skillet brown ground beef and cook onions until they are tender.
- Make sloppy joe mixture. Add dill pickles, mustard, ketchup, garlic powder, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Cover and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Toast the buns. Butter one side then toast butter side down in a skillet until they are golden.
- Adjust seasoning and serve. See below for serving ideas.
How To Serve
Meal idea! Serve big mac sloppy joes with a green salad on the side with the big mac sauce as a dressing or raw veggies for dipping, and french fries or air fryer tater tots.
Toast the bun. Butter one side of the bun then toast it with the butter side down in a skillet until it gets golden and crusty.
Single bun: On a toasted bun, layer first with the sauce, ground beef mixture, cheese slice, lettuce, onion, pickles, and the top bun.
To make it just like McDonald's you'll need a middle bun layer. Take the top or bottom from another bun then slice off the crust so it's flatter. Toast the buns. Layer in this order: bottom bun, big mac sauce, ground beef mixture, cheese slice, middle bun, the sauce, more meat, cheese slice, lettuce, onion, pickles, and then the top bun.
- If you are going for an exact copycat version, use the exact ingredients I used.
- This recipe serves 4 if you make yours with a single hamburger bun. If you make a 3-layer sloppy joe, it will use more meat mixture and extra bread, so the recipe will serve approximately 3 people. Note that the nutrition value was calculated with a single bun.
- Make the Big Mac Sauce up to 2 or 3 days in advance.
- Adjust any seasoning or ingredients to get this to your liking.
To store leftovers, let the roast cool completely, then transfer to an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. See reheating and freezing instructions below.
Microwave - transfer to a microwave-safe dish, cover, and heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally until warmed through.
Stovetop - transfer the meat to a saucepan and heat on low heat until warm through, stirring frequently.
Place the cooled leftovers in a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator and reheat using the instructions above.
Big Mac Sloppy Joes
- 1 pound ground beef
- ¼ cup onion (chopped)
- ¼ cup dill pickles (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- ¾ cup ketchup
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup water
- 4 sesame seed hamburger buns
- 1 cup lettuce (shredded)
- 4 slices processed cheddar cheese slices
- ½ cup copycat big mac sauce
- ½ cup sliced dill pickles
- In a skillet brown ground beef and cook onions until they are tender.
- Add dill pickles, mustard, ketchup, garlic powder, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Cover and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Butter 1 side of each bun and toast skin side down in a skillet over medium heat until golden.
- Serve on a sesame seed bun with big mac sauce, lettuce, cheese, diced onion, and sliced pickles.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- TOP TIPS: Make the Big Mac Sauce 2 or 3 days in advance.
- MAKE IT LOW CARB AND KETO: Use sugar-free ketchup, a brown sugar substitute, and serve on a chaffle or keto-friendly bun.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Serve with a green salad, fries, or tater tots.
© 2024 Seeking Good Eats™