Instant Pot Sloppy Joes made easy in your pressure cooker. Amazing flavor with a cross between savory, tangy, and sweet. VERY family-friendly and you can adapt to various dietary needs like sugar free, low carb, and keto.
🎥 Watch Video
❤️ Why You'll Love This
"A long time favorite recipe in our house! The flavors in this sloppy joes Instant Pot recipe are a perfect balance of savory, tangy, and sweet. EASY & Delish."
If you're a sloppy joe lover be sure to try this Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes version. Or, if you're looking for something a little less traditional, be sure to make my Big Mac Sloppy Joes, Chicken Gumbo Sloppy Joes, or these Sloppy Joe Sliders - they're GOOD! 🙂
There aren't a lot of kids who don't love sloppy joes. There is nothing better than finding a recipe that everyone in your house will eat. Can anyone relate to this age-old dilemma? 🙂
Instant Pot Convenience
Instant Pot's are popular for a reason -they make cooking a breeze and result in flavorful delicious one-pot meals.
These sloppy joes are a healthy homemade meal your whole family can enjoy!
- Making them from scratch instead of from a means you know what you are serving your family.
- This recipe can easily be made low carb and keto by using a brown sugar substitute and sugar free ketchup. Make sure to use a low car bun option, no bun, wrapped in lettuce, or alternative.
- Want to reduce the fat content? Use a lower fat or lean ground beef, ground turkey, or ground chicken. Drain the fat after browning.
What You'll Need
Here are the ingredients you'll need to make Instant Pot Sloppy Joes:
Ground Beef - I typically use a 80/20 blend or a ground chuck but you can use a reduced-fat amount of beef if desired.
Onion - The recipes calls for yellow onions but you can also go with a red onion which will lend more sweetness to the sloppy joes.
Ketchup - I like to use sugar free, but you can use regular if you prefer. You can also use unsweetened ketchup and increase the brown sugar slightly if you prefer.
Brown Sugar - Anyone watching their sugar, or low carb and keto followers should use a brown sugar substitute such as brown monk fruit sweetener.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Prepared Yellow Mustard
Kosher Salt or Sea Salt
Optional: cornstarch or xanthan gum to thicken sauce if needed
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
How To Make It
Here's how to make Instant Pot Sloppy Joes:
For complete instructions, please see the printable recipe card below.
With pressure cooker set on Saute or medium heat, brown ground beef, sausage, and onions.
Add Remaining Ingredients
Add garlic, tomato sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, tomato paste, vinegar, mustard, chili powder, Worcestershire, and salt to Instant Pot. Combine all ingredients.
Lock lid and set pressure cooker to High for 5 minutes.
Allow pressure release naturally for 15 minutes cook time, then do a quick release.
If the mixture has become too runny, you can whisk in 1/4 teaspoon of xantham gum and let sit for about 15 minutes to thicken. Add more as needed, but only 1/4 teaspoon at a time. A little goes a long way.
How To Serve
Serving this sloppy joes Instant Pot recipe is quite simple. Here are a few ideas:
Serve on a bun (regular, low carb, or keto bun), wrapped in lettuce, over a Chaffle, or even a grilled portobello mushroom.
Top with coleslaw. Try my Dill Pickle Slaw - it's delicious AND goes well with these sloppy joes.
Top with cheese. You can't go wrong with melted cheese.
Got spicy lovers? Make sure they have a hot sauce, some sliced pepperoncini or maybe even some sliced jalapenos.
Here are a few ways you can vary or make substitutions to this recipe:
- To make these low carb or keto use a low carb or keto-friendly bun or alternative to serve the sloppy joes on.
- For more spice? Add cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, sliced pepperoncini, sliced jalapenos, or hot sauce.
- Want to add some veggies? Add 1 to 1-1/2 cups of sauteed mushrooms, onions, green bell pepper, or diced zucchini. You could also add cooked spinach or even corn too.
- Use ground turkey or chicken in place of the ground beef.
- Drain the ground beef and sausage to reduce extra fat if desired.
- If you prefer more tang in your sloppy joes add a little extra vinegar, mustard, or tomato sauce.
- If you want more sweetness, add more of the brown sugar.
Can you make this sloppy joes recipe ahead of time?
In order to prep the sloppy joes ahead of time you will need to brown the ground beef, pork, and onion first. Add the remaining ingredients and allow it to cool. Store in the refrigerator until you are ready to cook.
Alternatively, you can prep all your ingredients in advance and cook everything the day you intend to serve it.
You can also make the entire recipe, start to finish, up to 3 days ahead, and then store and reheat when you are ready for each meal. This is a great meal prep idea.
How long will this recipe keep?
The cooked sloppy joe mixture will keep up to 4 days if stored in an airtight container.
Can you freeze sloppy joes?
Yes, you can freeze sloppy joes - I often make two batches and freeze one for later. It reheats really well.
Leftovers can go into an ovenproof, freezer-proof airtight container. Thaw in the refrigerator and then reheat in your microwave, Instant Pot (slow cooker or saute setting), or on your stovetop over low heat.
More Ground Beef Recipes
Here are a few more recipes with ground beef I think you'll love!
- Creamy Beef Taco Soup
- Cheeseburger Stuffed Peppers with Ground Beef
- Zucchini Ground Beef Taco Casserole
- Air Fryer Nachos (Loaded Nachos with Ground Beef)
- Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes
- Texas Style No Bean Chili Recipe
More Instant Pot Recipes
If you are looking for more delicious Instant Pot recipes, check these out:
- Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice
- Instant Pot Low Carb and Keto Chicken Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas
Instant Pot sloppy joes are a delicious dinner idea. Making pressure cooker sloppy joes is the perfect weeknight dinner idea - so easy and you use only one pot! Hooray for that! This recipe can easily be made low carb, keto, and gluten-free. #sloppyjoes #groundbeefrecipe #pork #easydinneridea #keto #lowcarb #peppers #beef #dinner #easyrecipe #pressurecooker #instantpot
Leave a Reply