Italian Crockpot Sausage and Peppers is a super simple dinner idea that you can throw together in minutes. Delicious Italian flavors blend all day in this fuss-free healthy recipe. Bonus! It's also dairy-free, gluten-free, low carb, and keto. Hooray for that!
🎥 Watch Video
❤️ Why You'll Love This
"Talk about delicious - AND easy. Only a few simple ingredients added to the crockpot then cooked low and slow all day. Italian sausage and peppers have become a huge favorite in our house." 🙂 -Kori
Super Simple and Fuss Free
Yep. Italian sausage and peppers is another one of my "just dump everything into the slow cooker" recipes. LOL. I can't help it. It comes from years of working full time and having a busy family. Anything to simplify my life and yours. 🙂
For this recipe, you slice the onions and the peppers and then place everything into the slow cooker. Cook on low until the onions and peppers are tender and sausages are cooked. There you are - a super simple and fuss free dinner idea.
So Much Flavor
You will love the combination of the Italian sausage with the onions, peppers, and marinara sauce. When it's done the flavors have blended perfectly and you will be in heaven.
By the way, this slow cooker recipe makes the house smells delicious while it's cooking. Oh my.
Crockpot Sausage and Peppers is a healthy recipe that is dairy-free, gluten-free, low carb, keto, and has no added sugar.
- It's dairy free as long as you don't add cheese. No other dairy products are used.
- Gluten free. There are no glutens added to this recipe. Check the sausage to make sure there are no glutens.
- With only 8.5 grams of net carbs, 32.5 grams fat, and 15 grams of protein this recipe is both keto and low carb.
- Peppers naturally has a little sugar content, but no sugar of any kind is added to this recipe. 🙂
How To Serve
Here are a few delicious ways to serve slow cooker Italian sausage and peppers:
- Toppings. I love to serve this topped with extra marinara and grated cheese (either mozzarella or parmesan).
- Serve in a hoagie bun, over rice or pasta. This is how I serve to may family, while I serve mine using one of the low carb ideas below. 🙂
- Low Carb Keto Serving Ideas: serve over steamed riced cauliflower, on it's own, wrapped in lettuce or on a chaffle.
- Like it spicy? Use a spicy marinara sauce, and hot Italian sausage. You can also add red pepper flakes into the marinara sauce. Top with sliced pepperoncini.
Here are the ingredients you'll need to make this sausage and peppers Crockpot recipe:
Please see the recipe card for exact quantities.
- Italian Sausage Links - use any type of Italian sausage links. If you are following a special diet check the label to make sure it fits your plan.
- Onion - I used red onion, but yellow onion will taste just as delicious.
- Bell Peppers - any color will do. To make it pretty I used four different colors.
- Marinara Sauce - If you are following a keto or low sugar diet make sure to use sugar free sauce.
- Italian Seasoning
- Kosher Salt or Sea Salt
- Ground Black Pepper
Equipment and tools needed to make this recipe:
- 4 Quart Slow Cooker
- Cutting Board
- Chef Knife
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Mixing Spoon
- Instant Read Thermometer
- Nonstick Spray
Here are a few ways you can vary or make substitutions to this recipe:
- You can use mild, hot, or sweet Italian sausage. If you are following keto or watching your sugar intake do not use the sweet Italian sausage.
- Give this a cajun spin instead. Substitute a cajun sausage, use cajun seasoning, and instead of marinara sauce use diced tomatoes with onion and bell peppers. Due to the salt in cajun seasoning, do not add salt and pepper until you are ready to serve and only if needed.
- Is the sauce too runny? Thicken it with a little cornstarch or xanthan gum. If using xanthan gum use about 1/4 teaspoon dissolved in 1 teaspoon of olive oil. A little goes a long way!
Here's how to make Italian Crockpot Sausage and Peppers:
For complete instructions, please see the printable recipe card below.
Add Ingredients to Pot
Spray the inside of the crockpot with non-stick spray.
Place onions in the bottom of the crock then the sausages. Then add peppers, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
Top with 1-1/2 cups of marinara sauce and spread over sausages and vegetables.
Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours or until sausages are done and vegetables are tender.
Adjust salt and pepper if needed. See serving suggestions below.
Adjust seasonings as desired.
- You can easily double and triple this recipe if serving a crowd.
- Meal prep! Prepare the recipe up to 3 days ahead of time then slow cook the day you plan to serve it.
Can you make Italian sausage and peppers ahead of time?
You can prepare this recipe ahead of time. Either cook it and store it in the refrigerator in an air-tight container, warming it when you are ready. Or, prep the recipe for cooking and keep it in your fridge until you are ready to slow cook (up to 3 days).
Can you cook raw sausages in a slow cooker?
Yes, you can cook raw sausages in a slow cooker. Cook them in your slow cooker on low with 1 cup of liquid or sauce of choice (water, broth, beer, pasta sauce, etc.), until done. It will take approximately 4 to 6 hours to cook them.
Sausage is done when the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees.
What temperature should Italian sausages be cooked to?
Since the sausage is filled with ground meat you should follow the USDA's Safe Minimum Internal Temperature guide and cook them to 160 degrees. Test with a food thermometer.
How long will this recipe keep?
Italian sausage and peppers will keep up to 3 days if stored in an airtight container in your refrigerator.
Can you freeze this recipe?
Yes, you can freeze this recipe - the cooled sausage and peppers can go into a freezer-proof airtight container. Thaw in the refrigerator and then reheat slowly on your stove, in a microwave, or back in your slow cooker until hot.
Recipes That Use Bell Peppers
Here are a few more recipes using bell peppers that I think you'll love!
- Cheeseburger Stuffed Peppers with Ground Beef
- Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas
- Cajun Keto Sausage and Peppers Recipe
- Lasagna Stuffed Peppers
- Chicken Fajitas Bake
- Taco Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Chicken Fajita Soup
If you tried Italian Crock Pot Sausage and Peppers, let me know! I'd love for you to come back and give the recipe a star rating and/or a review in the comments! 🙂 Let's stay connected, so please share photos of your creations with me and others on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
Italian Crockpot Sausage and Peppers
- 1 (19-ounce) package Italian sausages
- 1 cup onion sliced
- 4 bell peppers any color, sliced
- 2 teaspoons garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- 16 ounces marinara sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Optional: Extra marinara sauce and grated parmesan or mozzarella as a garnish.
- Spray the inside of the crockpot with non-stick spray.
- Place onions in the bottom of the crock then the sausages. Then add peppers, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Top with 1-1/2 cups of marinara sauce and spread over sausages and vegetables.
- Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours or until sausages are done and vegetables are tender.
- Adjust salt and pepper if needed. See serving suggestions below.
© 2023 Seeking Good Eats™
MARY TOGNAZZINI says
I BUY THE MINI PEPPERS SO HOW MANY CUPS.
Hello, great idea! You would need about 4 to 6 cups of peppers. 🙂 I hope you enjoy the recipe!