Low Carb Smoked Salmon Frittata is a scrumptious recipe with eggs, salmon, melted cheese, and fresh herbs that is incredibly easy to make. A one-pan healthy recipe that goes from stovetop to oven in a snap.
This recipe is perfect if you follow a keto or low carb diet and are looking for a quick family weeknight meal, lunch, or a healthy breakfast. Read on to find out how to make this super fast recipe!
You'll Love Smoked Salmon Frittata
Smoked Salmon Frittata tastes really delicious, and the smoked salmon pairs well with gouda, eggs, and fresh dill. By the way, if you don't like smoked salmon, substitute another protein. Bacon or sausage would be just as delicious!
This keto egg recipe is DELICIOUS. Low Carb Smoked Salmon Frittata is a one-pan, easy to prepare egg dish that goes from stovetop to oven. Super simple!
Gluten-Free, Low Carb, and Keto
This nutrient-rich egg recipe works well for a keto diet because of the fat content in cheese, salmon, and eggs. With 26g of fat, 3g net carbs, and 17g of protein, Smoked Salmon Frittata works great for a low carb and ketogenic diet.
26g fat 3 g net carbs 17 g protein
How to Serve
This frittata recipe is really a one pot meal so no sides are necessary. It works great for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. If you do want sides, I suggest keeping it simple. Here are some side items that work well with this smoked salmon frittata recipe:
- Fresh green salad with a favorite dressing.
- Steamed or roasted green beans, broccoli, or cauliflower.
- Crockpot green beans. These are simple and easy to make and will not overpower the frittata.
- If serving for breakfast, a side of fresh fruit is nice. This option is not keto-friendly but will be appreciated by the other members of your family. 🙂
This low carb frittata is easily adaptable to your tastes and whatever ingredients you have on hand. Feel free to substitute ingredients you don't like. Here are some ideas:
- Use different meats - bacon, ham, chicken, sausage all work really well. If your meat is uncooked, cook it in the skillet first. Remove meat from skillet after it's cooked, then proceed with onions and vegetables. Add the meat back in after vegetables are cooked.
- Try different cheeses. Smoked gouda, swiss, and gruyere all taste amazing with smoked salmon. Try different combinations but make sure to use the same quantity as this recipe calls for.
- Substitute different vegetables. I always use onion but will swap out diced bell peppers, mushrooms, yellow squash, etc. according to what I have on hand. Again, make sure to use the same quantity of vegetables as the recipe specifies.
- Play around with herbs. My favorite with smoked salmon is dill and chives. Use what you have on hand and you can substitute dried for fresh.
- If you don't have chives, substitute green onion.
My rule of thumb for herbs: 1 tsp dried herbs = 1 tbsp fresh herbs
Ingredients and Tools
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (or milk)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 4 oz smoked salmon, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh chives, chopped (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped (or 1 tsp dried)
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, chopped (or 2 tsp dried)
- 1 cup gouda, grated (or other favorite cheese - swiss or gruyere is good)
- optional: sour cream to top frittata with
- 10" cast iron skillet (you can use another ovenproof skillet, but I prefer cast iron)
- cheese grater (food processor or traditional grater)
- cutting board
- chef's knife
- large mixing bowl (these are my favorite mixing bowls!)
- liquid measuring cup (these things are timeless!)
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
Step by Step Instructions
Whisk Egg Mixture
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Whisk egg, cream, salt, and pepper together in a separate bowl. Set aside. (See image 1 below)
In a 10" ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat, saute onions and zucchini until soft. Add spinach and stir until wilted. (See image 2 below)
Add Remaining Ingredients
Reduce heat to medium and add smoked salmon, herbs, and gouda to the skillet. (See image 3 below)
Add Egg Mixture and Cook on Stove
Pour egg and cream mixture over the top. (See image 4 below)
Continue cooking until the frittata begins to pull away from the sides of the pan, 5 to 7 minutes.
Remove from heat and place in oven. Bake for 16 to 18 minutes, or until the center is set.
Delicious topped with a dollop of sour cream, fresh herbs, and even some more cheese.
- You can use a 10" skillet or 12" skillet to bake the frittata in, but the baking time changes slightly. For a 10" skillet, bake for about 16 to 18 minutes; for a 12" skillet, bake for about 12 - 15 minutes. It is done when a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- After adding the egg mixture, you will simmer the frittata on the stove just until the sides start pulling away from the skillet. Remember to turn down the heat to medium and keep your eye on the frittata, so it doesn't overcook or burn!
- Frittatas make GREAT leftovers for breakfast or lunch. They reheat well in the microwave, and the flavors seem to blend more the next day.
What is a frittata?
A frittata is an egg-based dish that originated in Italy. It is very similar to a crustless quiche. Ingredients such as meats (bacon, sausage, ham, chicken), vegetables, cheese, and various herbs are added. There is an infinite number of ways to make a frittata!
Can you freeze a frittata?
Yes! Bake the frittata first, let it cool, then place slices in an airtight freezer-proof container. Freeze up to 3 months.
Can I make a frittata in advance?
Yes, definitely you can make this in advance. I do it all the time. I love to make my frittata over the weekend as meal prep; then, I reheat each portion as needed during the week. This makes an amazing hot breakfast and lunch during the week.
Recipes with Egg
- Tomato and Mozzarella Caprese Frittata
- Easy Eggs Benedict Frittata With Hollandaise (Keto Eggs Benedict
- Easy Scrambled Eggs With Herbs and Cheese (Low Carb and Keto)
- Low Carb Pepperoni Pizza (Egg Pizza Recipe)
- Easy Keto and Low Carb Egg Recipes (The Best Keto Egg Recipes)
Low Carb Keto Skillet Recipes
- Healthy Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole (Low Carb Keto)
- Reuben Bake With Meatballs (Keto Reuben Casserole)
- Chicken Fajitas Bake (Low Carb and Keto)
- Cajun Sausage and Peppers Recipe (Low Carb Keto)
How to Share This Recipe
We'd LOVE for you to help us share this recipe! Here's how:
Review our recipe
We love reviews! Please leave a review and a comment. Your feedback is appreciated! 🙂
Share Your Photos
Show us what a star chef you are! Take photos of this dish and share them! We'd LOVE to see them!
Upload a photo of this dish to our Pinterest pin
tag @seekinggoodeats and hashtag it #seekinggoodeats
Pin Our Pin
Share our pin and pin on Pinterest!
Smoked salmon frittata is a low carb and keto-friendly healthy recipe. Easy to make skillet recipe similar to a crustless quiche. With smoked salmon, eggs, and melted cheese this low carb smoked salmon frittata is so good. A perfect egg recipe with loads of flavor! Perfect breakfast, lunch, or dinner! #keto #lowcarb #frittata #crustlessquiche #eggrecipe #skilletrecipe #breakfastrecipe #lunchrecipe #dinnerrecipe #healthyrecipe #seekinggoodeats #ketobreakfast #salmon #seafood