This Mexican green beans recipe - with only 5 simple ingredients and 15 minutes to make - is the perfect, easy side dish for any night of the week! Pair this dish with any of your favorite Mexican food favorites!
You'll ❤️ This Green Beans Recipe
"Mexican food is one of my favorite cuisines. Sometimes I want a different side dish than rice and these Mexican green beans are a great low-carb, fresh option."
Greens beans are a favorite of mine! If you love them too, here are three delicious dishes to try: Air Fryer Green Beans, Crockpot Green Beans and Ham and Green Bean Casserole with Bacon And Cheese. If you want super easy try this Air Fryer Frozen Green Bean Recipe! 😉
Only 5 simple ingredients to make this recipe - canned salsa (red and green), onion, garlic, and olive oil. Hooray to that!
Quick make, easy to cook, and so satisfying! You'll have this on the table in 15 minutes from start to finish!
This green beans recipe is low-carb, keto-friendly, gluten-free, vegetarian, and vegan (watch your store-bought sauce)! This is an excellent addition to your favorite Mexican dish or any meal of your choice.
🥘 What You Will Need
Here are the ingredients you will need to make Mexican Green Beans:
Fresh Green Beans - there's no better taste than fresh green beans!
Extra Virgin Olive Oil - you could also use avocado oil.
Onion - use yellow or red onion.
Salsa Verde - or, you can make (or buy) green enchilada sauce.
Salsa - go with traditional red salsa here. You can make your own or buy it.
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
🔪 How To Make
Here are the step-by-step instructions for making this Mexican green bean recipe:
Heat your oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
Add your onions and green beans. Saute for 2 minutes.
Add your garlic and saute for 1 minute.
Carefully add water, salt, and pepper, and then cover. Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes or until green beans are crisp and tender.
Add both salsas. Stir and continue cooking until sauces are warmed through.
Add any additional spices you prefer and enjoy!
🥗 How To Serve
Here are a few ways to serve Mexican green beans:
Garnish your green beans with fresh cilantro, sliced green onion, tomatoes, or cotija cheese.
Meal idea! For the perfect Mexican-style dinner, serve these green beans with Chipotle Steak and Mexican Street Corn Salad, and refried beans.
Serve alongside your favorite Mexican dish! Mine is my Seafood Enchiladas, Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas, and Green Enchiladas with Chicken.
Here are a few ways you can vary or make substitutions to this recipe:
- Spice it up! Add red pepper flakes, hot sauce, or spicy salsa for your preference.
- Remove the onions from your Mexican green beans if you want to lower the carbs even more!
- Add sliced bell pepper if you are looking to add more vegetables. They cook like green beans and are delicious.
💭 Top Tips
- Cook the green beans to your desired tenderness.
- For convenience buy green beans already trimmed.
- Use fresh green beans for the best results. Frozen green beans will not work well in this dish.
- Adjust any ingredient to your liking.
How To Store
Store in an air-tight container for up to 4 days.
How To Reheat
Feel free to reheat in the microwave or in a medium-sized saute pan.
How To Freeze
I would advise you not to freeze your green beans. When thawed, they will release unwanted moisture into the sauce, which can be dissatisfying.
Yes, they do. Along with long beans too! The climate south of the American border is ideal for great-tasting beans, which are then imported to the United States.
String beans at the local Hispanic market are labeled as “ejotes,” but according to spanishdictionary.com, green beans translate to “judia verde.”
String beans, snap beans, French beans, and haricot verts are green beans in French. Green beans are also one of the only beans in the world that are still cooked inside their pods!
✔️ More Mexican Recipes
If you are looking for more delicious Mexican inspired recipes, check these out (you'll love that I've made these recipes healthy!):
- Authentic Refried Beans - delicious authentic Mexican beans - made super easy.
- Chicken Tinga Tostadas
- Mexican Chicken Salad
- Fajita Spiced Ninja Foodi Chicken Wings - use any air fryer to make these delicious wings!
Mexican Green Beans
- 1 pound fresh green beans (trimmed)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup onion (finely diced)
- ½ teaspoon garlic (minced)
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup green enchilada sauce (use our recipe or store-bought)
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and green beans. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute 1 minute.
- Carefully add water, salt, and pepper, then cover. Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes until green beans are crisp tender.
- Add green enchilada sauce and salsa. Stir and continue cooking just until sauces are warmed through.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- VARIATIONS: To lower carbs omit onions; increase spice by using spicy salsa and adding red pepper flakes.
- TOP TIPS: Cook the beans to your desired doneness.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Optional garnishes - cilantro, sliced green onions, fresh chopped tomatoes, and cotija cheese; Serve as a side dish to any favorite Mexican dish such as Seafood Enchiladas, Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas, Green Enchiladas with Chicken.
© 2023 Seeking Good Eats™
Leave a Reply