This Maple Balsamic Brussels Sprouts recipe is the perfect easy side dish made with only 6 ingredients. You'll love the wonderfully sweet and salty roasted maple balsamic flavor! Make these roasted brussels sprouts in your air fryer or or oven! This recipe is low calorie, gluten-free, vegan, and vegetarian. Use sugar free or regular maple syrup. Let's make them!
Why You'll ❤️ Balsamic Maple Brussel Sprouts
"Maple syrup and balsamic vinegar is a wonderful flavor combination. You will absolutely love it on these roasted brussel sprouts. This vegetable side dish is perfect any time of year - but special enough to include on your Thanksgiving and Christmas table!"
Be sure to try these crispy Brussel Sprouts in Air Fryer (or this frozen version) - they're quick and simple. For a unique and tasty recipe, make this Kale and Brussel Sprout Salad with Pomegranate and Pecans - it's delish! It's so beautiful it makes a terrific fresh side dish for a special occasion or the holidays.
Air Fry or Oven Roasted
The great thing about these maple balsamic brussels sprouts is that they can be roasted in either the oven or in the air fryer. Both will give you that delicious roasted, crispy brussels outside and soft inside.
Any Time of Year
Brussels sprouts can be enjoyed year-round, but this dish with its roasted maple flavor is so delicious it makes a fabulous holiday side or for special occasions. (I am even able to get my kids to eat them!) 😉
These brussels sprouts are a great healthy side dish because it is low-calorie, low carb, gluten-free, vegetarian, vegan - and loaded with vitamins and minerals such as potassium, iron, magnesium, and more! Make this recipe keto and sugar free by using a maple syrup substitute.
🥘 What You'll Need
Here are the ingredients you will need to make maple balsamic brussels sprouts:
Fresh Brussels Sprouts - fresh brussel sprouts will be best in this recipe. Trim the ends and remove any yellowing or discolored leaves.
Olive Oil - you can also use extra virgin olive oil if preferred.
Kosher Salt - if using table salt start with half the amount called for and adjust to taste after roasting.
Ground Black Pepper
Balsamic Vinegar - balsamic glaze can be used, but it is significantly sweeter than vinegar so you will need to adjust the amount of maple syrup used.
Pure Maple Syrup - pure natural maple syrup has the best flavor. Use sugar-free maple syrup to make this keto!
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
🔪 How To Make It
Here are the step-by-step instructions for making these roasted Brussels sprouts:
In a medium to large bowl, toss brussels sprouts, oil, salt, and pepper until well coated.
Proceed with roasting your brussel sprouts with one of the two methods below.
The fasted method for roasting.
Preheat the fryer to 380 degrees F.
Place brussels sprouts in a single layer in the basket.
Cook for 12 to 15 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through.
Brussels sprouts are done when they are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. (Note: cooking time can vary with each air fryer, adjust as needed).
You can also choose to roast these in the oven if you don't have a fryer.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Transfer brussels sprouts to a parchment lined baking sheet. Roast for 20 minutes, pull them out of the oven and turn them.
Return to the oven and cook an addition 10 to 15 minutes - or until they are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
Toss and Serve
Drizzle with maple syrup and balsamic vinegar and toss together coat evenly.
Adjust any seasoning to taste. Serve and Enjoy!
🥗 How To Serve It
Here are a few ways to serve these maple balsamic brussels sprouts:
Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
These brussels are best served immediately. They lose their crispiness the longer they sit.
Elevate this dish by adding some crumbled bacon, shredded parmesan cheese or crumbled goat cheese! You could also toss with candied pecans pieces or toasted slivered almonds. Yum!
Meal idea! Serve these delicious maple balsamic brussel sprouts with this Cordon Bleu Stuffed Pork Loin and add a side of mashed potatoes or learn How to Make Cauliflower Rice. Finish off with a delicious Crustless Pumpkin Pie for a keto dessert!
Here are a few ways you can vary or make substitutions to this recipe:
- You can add some crushed red pepper flakes to add some spiciness if you'd like!
- Toss with some finely chopped fresh herbs such as thyme or rosemary.
- Garnish with chives or thinly sliced onions with the brussels sprouts for another level of flavor and texture to this dish.
💭 Top Tips
- Whether using an air-fryer or an oven for roasting, all units differ slightly in power and heat, so make sure to adjust time accordingly.
- Overcrowding your pan can cause your brussel sprouts to steam more than crisp and charr. Roast in a single-layer.
- Make sure to flip the brussel sprouts halfway through the cooking process to gain as much charr and caramelization on all sides!
How To Store
Fully cool the brussel sprouts in the refrigerator uncovered and transfer them to an airtight container for up to 4 days.
How To Reheat
Reheat in the air fryer or oven at 350 degrees F., until warmed through. Because they are coated in sugar than can easily burn so watch them carefully. They will not be as crispy as they were the day of.
Roasting or steaming is the healthiest way to eat brussel sprouts. When roasting, a small amount of olive oil is typically used, whereas when steaming only water is used.
Ensure that your pan isn’t crowded when roasting the brussel sprouts. Spread them apart and if they are cut place the cut side down on the pan to start. An overcrowded pan will create more moisture which will cause a steaming effect instead of roasting. Look for crispness and charring for the best results and flavor! Please refer to our recipe card down below.
Brussel sprouts roasted with salt are not bitter. If you are concerned about bitterness, soak the sprouts in salt water 20 minutes before roasting. Rinse and then continue with the seasoning and roasted process. Please see there recipe card for further instructions.
✔️ More Vegetable Side Dishes
If you are looking for more vegetable side dish recipes, be sure to check these out:
- Crockpot Green Beans and Ham
- Asparagus in Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Beets With Rosemary and Balsamic Glaze
- Cauliflower Cheese
- Roasted Pumpkin and Beetroot Salad
- Cherry Tomato Caprese Salad
Maple Balsamic Brussels Sprouts
- 1 pound brussels sprouts (trimmed and halved)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (regular or sugar free)
- In a medium bowl toss brussels sprouts, oil, salt, and pepper until well coated.
- To air fry: Preheat air fryer to 380°F. Place brussels sprouts in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Air fry for 12 to 15 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through. Brussel sprouts are done when they are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. (Note: cooking time can vary with each air fryer, adjust as needed).
- To oven roast: Preheat oven to 400° F. Transfer brussels sprouts to a parchment lined baking sheet. Roast for 35 to 40 minutes until crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
- Drizzle with maple syrup and balsamic vinegar, then toss to coat. Adjust seasoning if needed. Serve.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- TOP TIPS: There are variances in air fryer cooking times so cooking time is an estimate. Check after 10 minutes and continue cooking and checking doneness until the brussel sprouts are done to your liking.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS:
© 2024 Seeking Good Eats™