Crockpot Cashew Chicken is an easy to make dinner your whole family will love! Tender chicken and vegetables in a creamy ginger cashew sauce. This recipe is sugarfree, gluten-free, low carb, and keto. Enjoy!
You'll Love Crockpot Cashew Chicken
Crockpot cashew chicken is an easy dinner that is tasty, satisfying and filling. You will love the combination of flavors with the buttery-tasting cashews, ginger, onion, tender chicken and vegetables. In other words, this is good stuff!
If you're craving Chinese but want a healthy dinner - crockpot cashew chicken is IT. So much flavor!
"If I'm craving Chinese food this is one of my go-to recipes. It's pretty much a fuss-free recipe - just add your ingredients and come back 4 to 6 hours later. Add your cashew butter and nuts - voila! Easy Chinese takeout at home." -Kori
Easy To Make
Crockpot Cashew Chicken is very easy to make. Most of the ingredients go into the crockpot at the beginning. Finally, once it's cooked add the cashew butter and cashews. So simple!
Gluten-Free, Low Carb, and Keto
Keto cashew chicken is a perfect healthy meal option when following a ketogenic diet.
The full nutritional analysis of this recipe is included in the recipe card, but the most important for keto followers is:
net carbs 6.6 g | fat 20 g | protein 34.8 g
How to Serve
Crockpot Cashew chicken can be a meal on it's own, but I love to serve it a couple different ways:
- Serve of steamed vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, or green beans.
- With riced cauliflower or riced broccoli.
- If not following a low carb diet of coarse steamed rice is the perfect thing to serve as a side.
- Try this coconut cauliflower rice recipe - you'll love it.
Here's what you'll need to make this low carb keto cashew chicken recipe:
- 2 lbs chicken thighs or breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 5 green onions, sliced at a diagonal (reserve 1 green onion to garnish the top of dish)
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos soy sauce (or tahini sauce, or soy sauce)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar substitute (or, regular brown sugar)
- 2 teaspoons ginger paste
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoons red pepper flakes (adjust to your desired heat level)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/3 cup cashew butter, natural
- 1/3 cup cashews, raw
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: serve over steamed rice, riced cauliflower, or riced broccoli.
- 4 to 6-quart slow cooker or an Instant Pot
Here's how to make crockpot cashew chicken:
Spray crock pot with nonstick spray. Add chicken, bell pepper, green onion, soy sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, ginger paste, and red pepper flakes to the pot. Stir all ingredients together.
In a small bowl mix xanthan gum and olive oil together until dissolved. Add to the crock pot and stir. Cook on low 4 to 6 hours or until chicken is done and vegetables are tender.
Finally, stir in cashew butter and raw cashews. Adjust seasoning with soy sauce or salt and pepper. Serve over steamed rice, riced cauliflower or riced broccoli.
- For a quick and easy cleanup use slow cooker liners.
- You can use boneless skinless chicken breast or chicken thighs. However, chicken thighs are my favorite because they won't dry out like chicken breast. This is important if you have to leave your crockpot cooking all day.
How long will cashew chicken keep?
Cashew chicken is best if eaten within 3 to 4 days. Store in an airtight container and reheat individual portions in the microwave.
Can I freeze slow cooker cashew chicken?
Yes! You can freeze cashew chicken. Freeze portions or the full recipe after it has cooked and cooled down. Place in freezer-proof containers and then into the freezer.
Thaw in the refrigerator and reheat individual portions in your microwave.
Cashew chicken can be ketp in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Can I substitute ingredients?
You can substitute some items in this recipe. Try bite size pieces of pork instead of chicken breast or thighs. Check pork for doneness after 3 to 4 hours.
For non-keto followers, you can use regular ingredients like brown sugar and soy sauce instead of keto-friendly coconut aminos and brown sugar substitute.
Substitute 1 tablespoon of cornstarch instead of xanthan gum if you are not following a keto diet.
Use any color of bell peppers that you have on hand.
Low Carb and Keto Asian Recipes
Here are some more delicious Asian recipes to try! All our low carb, sugar-free, gluten-free, and keto recipes. Enjoy!
- Keto Stir Fry With Shrimp
- Slow Cooker Spicy Thai Basil Chicken Recipe
- Mongolian Beef and Broccoli (Low Carb and Keto Chinese)
- Coconut Cauliflower Rice (Keto Cauliflower Rice) - goes great with the slow cooker Thai Basil Chicken recipe mentioned above!
Reader Favorite Crockpot Recipes
Check out these reader favorite slow cooker recipes! They are some of our most popular recipes. All our easy to make and your whole family can eat. Happy cooking!
- Green Enchiladas Chicken Soup (Keto Slow Cooker Mexican Soup) - A MUST try! 🙂
- Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff (Low Carb Keto Beef Stroganoff)
- Best Corned Beef Recipe (Slow Cooker and Instant Pot)
- Italian Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs (Low Carb and Keto Slow Cooker Chicken)
- Curry Chicken Crock Pot
- Easy Egg Fried Rice
- Homemade Shrimp Fried Rice