Lamb Mince Shepherd's Pie is classic comfort food the whole family will love. This hearty lamb mince recipe is full of tender ground lamb, a rich herby gravy, and tender vegetables - all topped with fluffy garlic mashed potatoes then baked until golden. YES, PLEASE!
🎥 Recipe Video
You'll ❤️ This Lamb Shepherd's Pie Recipe
"A home cooked lamb shepherd's pie recipe that's total comfort food. You'll love the delicious tomato-based herbed gravy with the perfectly cooked lamb and vegetables all topped with the most creamy fluffy garlic mashed potatoes. Good stuff." -Kori
Shepherd's pie is not only delicious, but it's a simple dish to make - make the filling then the mashed potatoes. Spread the mashed potatoes over the top and bake!
This cottage pie can be adjusted to fit your taste preferences. For example, you can use ground beef instead of ground lamb or add your favorite vegetables. You could also use a bit of stout beer in place of some of the stock.
Make this even simpler by using pre-made store-bought mashed potatoes - don't worry, I won't judge! lol 🙂
There's nothing quite like a hearty lamb shepherd's pie recipe to make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. This classic comfort food dish is made with lamb mince (ground lamb) and is topped with a creamy mashed potato layer.
Whether you're having a quiet night in or need something comforting to take the edge off a bad day, shepherd's pie is the perfect meal.
Classic shepherd's pie is a healthy homemade dinner recipe that's chock full of vegetables, tender lamb, and delicious gravy! You can feel good about serving your family.
- This recipe is gluten-free and can be made ketogenic see below.
- How to make it low carb and keto: use mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes, omit the peas and substitute chopped green beans.
How To Serve
This lamb mince casserole can be an all-in-one meal or served with a simple side. Here are some suggestions:
- Love this garnished with fresh herbs such as parsley or chives.
- Serve with a simple fresh side salad with a favorite salad dressing such as thousand island, italian dressing, blue cheese, etc.
- You could also try this blue cheese wedge salad - one of my favorites!
Love shepherd's pie? Try this leftover version - it's a great way to use up that leftover leg of lamb! 🙂
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this lamb mince recipe:
See the recipe card for exact quantities.
- Lamb Mince (Ground Lamb) - I love using ground lamb, but you could also certainly go with ground beef. Ground beef does not have the same flavor as it is much milder, so you will lose some of the richness.
- Onion - I used a sweet white onion, but you could use a yellow onion too.
- Carrots - I love the color and freshness that carrots bring to this dish, don't you?
- Garlic - fresh garlic is always best, but I frequently use the "jarlic". You know, the kind of garlic pre-minced from the store? 🙂
- Tomato Paste - is used as a thickener and adds a nice tang to the gravy which offsets the richness of the lamb.
- Worcestershire - adds a powerful salty umami flavor.
- Sweet Peas - I love using sweet peas to complement the strong flavor of lamb. Using frozen peas is a great time-saver - just add them frozen straight into the skillet.
- Lamb Stock or Beef - you can use either beef or lamb stock in this recipe - both are wonderful.
- Thyme - fresh thyme is my favorite but when I shot the images and video for this recipe I could find no fresh thyme or rosemary - it still came out absolutely delicious so no need to worry - use what you've got on hand. Use 1 tablespoon fresh for every 1 teaspoon dried.
- Rosemary - same as the thyme, use dried or fresh.
- Kosher Salt - I'm a big fan of the coarse kosher salt, but you can use any coarse salt.
- Ground Black Pepper
Equipment and tools needed to make this classic shepherd's pie recipe:
- Cutting Board
- Chef Knife
- Vegetable Peeler
- 10" Skillet
- 2 Quart Saucepan
- 1-1/2-Quart Casserole Dish
- Potato Masher or Handheld Blender
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Mixing Spoon
- Nonstick Spray
Here are a few ways you can vary or make substitutions to this shepherd's pie:
- Substitute ground beef, turkey, or chicken for the lamb in this recipe.
- Use up to a cup more vegetables, add 1/2 cup more stock to the recipe. FYI mushrooms are really delicious!
- Use any favorite herb combination - you aren't limited to just parsley and rosemary.
- Time-saver tip: buy pre-made mashed potatoes, it will make this recipe go super quick! 🙂
- Use 1/2 cup stout beer in place of 1/2 cup of stock.
- This recipe could easily be doubled or even tripled - just adjust your casserole dish accordingly.
Here's how to make the lamb mince shepherd's pie recipe:
For complete instructions, please see the printable recipe card below.
Cook Vegetables and Lamb
Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a 1½-quart casserole dish.
In a large skillet, preheat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and carrots. Saute until tender.
Add garlic to the skillet and saute for 2 minutes.
Add ground lamb and cook until browned, stirring periodically.
Make the Gravy
Stir in tomato paste and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
Add peas, stock, Worcestershire, thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Stir until incorporated.
Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until liquid is reduced to about 20% and starts to thicken about 10 minutes.
Transfer mixture to the casserole dish.
Cook the Potatoes
In a saucepan, boil water and add potatoes. Cook until the potatoes are very tender, about 15 minutes.
Melt Butter and Warm Cream
While potatoes are cooking, melt butter in a small skillet. Add cream, salt, pepper, and garlic powder and stir.
Mash the Potatoes
Drain the potatoes, then transfer them to a bowl. Using a masher or a handheld mixer, mix potatoes until they start to get smooth.
Slowly add the warmed butter and cream mixture to the potatoes and continue mixing until fluffy and smooth.
Assemble the Casserole
Dollop spoonfuls of the mashed potatoes over the top of the casserole then spread evenly over the meat mixture.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the pie is bubbly and potatoes are golden.
Garnish with parsley or chives. Serve and enjoy!
- If you have a cast iron skillet you can skip the extra baking dish and just bake it all right in your skillet - stovetop to oven!
- Time saving tips: start boiling the potato water when you are sauteeing the vegetables. Cook the potatoes while you are reducing the sauce.
What is lamb mince?
Simply put, lamb mince is ground lamb. Lamb mince can also be finely diced lamb.
Can I make this low carb and keto?
Yes, instead of mashed potatoes, make or buy a buttered mashed cauliflower. Omit the peas and use chopped green beans instead.
Can I use ground beef?
Ground beef could easily be substituted for ground lamb. Did you know know that when using beef, it is typically called a cottage pie?
Can you make it ahead of time?
Yes, absolutely. You can prepare the casserole a couple of days ahead of time. Pull the casserole out of the refrigerator about 30 minutes before baking.
Because the casserole will still be cold in the center, the baking time will increase by about 15 to 25 minutes. Otherwise, leave it out at room temperature for approximately 20 to 30 minutes before baking.
How long will this casserole keep?
Up to 4 days if stored in an airtight container.
Can you freeze this casserole?
Yes, this recipe can be frozen. Prepare the shepherd's pie in an oven-proof and freezer-proof baking dish. If the casserole was warm, let it completely cool, then cover with a lid, foil, or plastic wrap and freeze for up to 3 months.
Let the casserole thaw in the refrigerator a couple of days before serving. Pull the casserole out of the fridge about 30 to 40 minutes before serving. Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit and increase baking to 35 to 45 minutes (as it will still be cold). The casserole should be golden and bubbly.
✔️ More Lamb Recipes
If you are looking for more fantastic lamb recipes, check these out:
- Easy Lamb Korma - save time with ground lamb!
- Pressure Cooker Leg of Lamb
- How To Cook a Boneless Leg of Lamb
- Lamb Stew (Instant Pot)
- The Best Greek Burger (Gyro Burger) - another tasty lamb mince recipe - these burgers are AMAZING.
⭐ Let's Connect
If you tried Lamb Mince Shepherd's Pie, let me know! I'd love for you to come back and give the recipe a star rating and/or a review in the comments! 🙂 Let's stay connected, so please share photos of your creations with me and others on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
Lamb Mince Shepherd's Pie
Lamb Mince Filling
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2 carrots (peeled and sliced)
- 4 teaspoons garlic (minced)
- 1 pound lamb mince (ground lamb)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire
- 2 cup lamb stock (or beef stock)
- ¾ cup sweet peas
- 1½ teaspoons dried thyme (or, 1 tablespoon fresh)
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary (or, 1 tablespoon fresh)
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
Mashed Potato Topping
- 1` pound potatoes (yukon gold or other variety) (peeled and cubed into 2 inch pieces)
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
Lamb Mince Filling
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a a 1½-quart casserole dish.
- In a large skillet preheat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and carrots. Saute until tender.
- Add garlic to the skillet and saute 2 minute.
- Add ground lamb and cook until browned, stirring periodically.
- Stir in tomato paste tomato paste and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add peas, stock, worcestershire, thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Stir until incorporated.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until liquid is reduced to about 20% and starts to thicken, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to the casserole dish.
Mashed Potato Topping
- In a saucepan, boil water and add potatoes. Cook until the potatoes are very tender, about 15 minutes.
- While potatoes are cooking, melt butter in a small skillet. Add cream, salt, pepper, and garlic powder and stir.
- Drain the potatoes then transfer to a bowl. Using a masher or a handheld mixer, mix potatoes until they start to get smooth.
- Slowly add the warmed butter and cream mixture to the potatoes and continue mixing until fluffy and smooth.
- Dollop spoonfuls of the mashed potatoes over the top of the casserole, then spread evenly over the meat mixture.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the pie is bubbly and potatoes are golden.
- Garnish with parsley or chives. Serve and enjoy!
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- SUBSTITUTIONS: Feel free to use leftover lamb that has been cubed into bite-size pieces instead of raw ground lamb; Use beef or lamb stock.
- VARIATION: To make this keto: make a cauliflower mash with cream and butter and spread over the top like you would with traditional mashed potatoes. Omit the peas completely or substitute chopped green beans.
- TOP TIPS: To save time use pre-made mashed potatoes. This casserole can be made and frozen for a future meal. I like to double the recipe and make 2 casseroles. Eat one now and freeze the other for later!
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Garnish with fresh parsley or chives. Serve on its own or with a side salad, favorite steamed or roasted vegetable.
© 2022 Seeking Good Eats™