This easy shrimp fried rice recipe is super simple and quick to make! Only 7 ingredients, and have it ready in under 20 minutes--thats quicker than ordering Chinese take out. Make your own stir fry sauce or use store-bought to keep it as easy as possible--the whole family is going to love it!
This is the Best Shrimp Fried Rice Recipe
7 Ingredients. For this recipe, you will need only olive oil, shrimp, peas and carrots, green onions, eggs, rice, and stir fry sauce (homemade or store-bought). Perfect for quick weeknight dinner any night of the week! You'll have it made in less time than it takes to get it delivered to your door.
Quick & Easy. It's super easy to make this fried rice - make it all in one pan in only 20 minutes! You can buy or make your own homemade stir fry sauce--mixed together in a small bowl in just minutes as well.
Healthy. Use brown rice or cauliflower rice instead of white rice in this recipe to make it healthier! Add other lean proteins such as chicken or extra egg whites to increase the protein amount. Substitute rice cauliflower and use a sugar-free stir fry sauce to lower the carbs and make it keto.
Easy Shrimp Fried Rice Ingredients
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this easy fried recipe:
- Olive Oil: substitute your favorite cooking oil in its place, such as avocado or vegetable oil.
- Shrimp: I use small thawed frozen or fresh shrimp that are peeled, deveined, and tail-off so that there is minimal preparation, and they are ready to cook!
- Frozen Peas and Carrots: thaw your peas and carrots before adding them to your skillet for the best result.
- Cooked Rice: fried rice is always a hit when made with leftover day-old cold rice from the night before. If you need tips or don't have day old rice, scroll below!
- Green Onion
- Stir Fry Sauce: use store-bought or make a quick homemade version below.
Homemade Stir Fry Sauce
- Soy Sauce: use regular, low sodium, or gluten-free alternatives such as tamari or coconut aminos.
- Sesame Oil
- Garlic: fresh minced garlic or use store-bought pre-minced to save time.
- Ginger Paste: you can use minced garlic if you cannot find ginger paste.
- Red Pepper Flakes
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
Be sure to save this pin to Pinterest for later! 😉
Substitutions and Variations
With a simple swap of ingredients, you can make chicken fried rice or pork fried rice--the options are endless!
Try adding other vegetables, such as diced zucchini, mushrooms, or bell peppers.
Store-bought stir fry sauce can be used instead of homemade stir fry sauce.
Use frozen cooked shrimp that is thawed--add at the end to warm before serving.
Try using cauliflower rice (lower in carbs) or brown rice instead of jasmine rice or sushi rice.
Make this recipe vegetarian by using tofu.
Use tamari sauce or coconut aminos in place of soy sauce to make this recipe gluten-free and keto friendly.
Add freshly ground black pepper for extra flavor and spice.
How to Make Shrimp Fried Rice
1. Add oil to a large nonstick skillet. Add shrimp and saute until pink. Remove and keep warm.
2. Add oil and thawed peas and carrots. Saute until hot and cooked through.
3. Add cooked rice (add oil if needed), and stir frequently until the rice gets some color.
4. Beat eggs in a small bowl. Push rice to the sides of the pan, creating a well. Add a little olive oil to the center, then add the eggs.
5. Gently stir fry the eggs until slightly scrambled and runny. Stir together with the rice to coat.
6. Add the cooked shrimp. Pour half of the stir fry sauce over the rice and combine it all. Stir in the green onions and season to taste.
How to Serve
Adjust seasoning to taste with additional stir fry sauce, soy sauce, salt, or pepper to taste. Garnish with extra sliced green onion or chives.
Top with toasted sliced almonds, seaweed, sesame seeds, or fresh chopped cilantro.
Give it some kick and drizzle sriracha over the top of the rice.
Easy Shrimp Fried Rice Recipe Tips and Tricks
- If you like looser, drier fried rice, use cold rice. If you prefer softer, clumpier fried rice, use sushi rice or warm rice (more moisture will create clumps).
- Use microwaveable rice pouches. Microwave, remove from package, and place in a bowl. Let the rice cool, and then chill in the fridge. Refrigerate until ready to use.
What to Serve with Homemade Shrimp Fried Rice
Serve with fresh steamed broccoli or cauliflower for a healthy side.
Pair with dumplings or gyoza.
Egg rolls or crab rangoons are a classic appetizer that pairs great with fried rice!
Serve as a side dish to a protein such as salmon, steak or chicken.
How to Store This Recipe for Shrimp Fried Rice
Once cooled, transfer to an air-tight container and store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Many people will say the key to the best-fried rice is by using day old, cold rice. When you add the cold fried rice to the hot oil, is will fry the rice better and give great color, texture, and flavor!
A quick way to cool rice down if you want to use cold rice is by spreading the freshly cooked rice out on a sheet pan and then placing it in the fridge or freezer to cool. Once cooled, you are ready to cook.
Some main flavors in Chinese food are soy sauce, sesame oil, fish sauce, crushed red pepper flakes, garlic, ginger, and onion.
Homemade Shrimp Fried Rice
Fried Rice Recipe:
- 2½ tablespoons olive oil (coconut oil or avocado oil may be used)
- 1 pound raw small shrimp (peeled, deveined, tails removed)
- 12 ounce package thawed frozen peas and carrots
- 4 cups cold cooked brown or white rice (use cold leftover or day-old rice if possible)
- 2 eggs
- 2 green onions (sliced)
- ¼ to ½ cup stir fry sauce to taste (buy bottled, or make your own)
Make Your Own Stir Fry Sauce:
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste (grated ginger may also be used)
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- If making your own stir-fry sauce, add all the ingredients to a small bowl, mix together, then set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to a large skillet (a nonstick skillet is really helpful) and heat on medium-high heat. Add shrimp and saute until they turn pink. Remove and keep warm.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil and thawed peas and carrots. Saute until hot and vegetables are cooked through.
- Add cooked rice (use more oil if needed), stirring frequently until it starts to get some color.
- Beat eggs in a small bowl. Push rice to the sides of the pan, creating a well in the middle. Add a little olive oil to the center, then add the beaten eggs.
- Using a spatula, gently stir the eggs in the well until they are almost completely scrambled but still slightly runny. (This way, you will have some chunks of egg, and the rest will coat the rice.) Incorporate the scrambled eggs into the rice.
- Add the cooked shrimp back to the pan. Pour half of the stir-fry sauce over the rice and combine it all. Stir in the green onions. Adjust seasoning to taste. Add more stir fry sauce if needed.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- Substitute chicken, pork, or beef.
- Make it LOW CARB AND KETO: use cooked riced cauliflower and a sugar free stir fry sauce. Drain the cauliflower before sauteeing.
- Try different vegetables, such as diced zucchini and mushrooms.
- Store-bought stir-fry sauce can be substituted for our homemade version.
- TIPS: If you like looser drier fried rice, use cold rice. If you prefer softer, clumpier fried rice, use sushi rice or warm rice (due to its higher moisture content will create clumps).
- TIME-SAVER: Buy 2 (2-cup) microwaveable rice pouches. Microwave, remove from package and place in a bowl. Let the rice cool and then chill in the fridge. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Adjust seasoning to taste with additional stir fry sauce, soy sauce, salt, or pepper to taste. Serve in a bowl and garnish with additional green onion if desired.
© 2023 Seeking Good Eats™