Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken Soup is the perfect combination of your two favorite soup recipes (tomato and chicken)! Easy to prepare, a crowd-pleaser, and great for leftovers. One-pot comfort food at its best! Yes! Ready to make it?
You'll Love This Creamy Tomato Soup with Chicken
"Two of my favorite soups are tomato soup and chicken soup. This recipe combines them both perfectly - but with a creamy Italian twist that you'll love!"
One Pot Recipe. This recipe is made in one large stockpot on the stove! Adding all your ingredients in steps to your stockpot help reduce cleanup after dinner - which is always a plus to me! 😉
Crowd Pleaser. I always get asked for this soup recipe at gatherings! Everyone always loves it and often go for seconds (or thirds). Make this soup for your next game-day party with some grilled cheese sandwiches - or serve it in small bread bowls.
Healthy. This recipe is gluten-free, low-carb, keto, and high in protein! Make some adjustments to make it vegetarian and low-fat. Check out the variations section for ideas!
Chicken and Tomato Soup Ingredients
Here are the ingredients you will need to make creamy chicken tomato soup recipe:
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - you can use any preferred cooking oil.
- Onion - use any onion preference. I suggest white, yellow, or sweet onions.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs - substitute chicken breast in place of chicken thighs.
- Chicken Broth - use any variation of broth you prefer. They make low-sodium and fat-free options.
- Canned Diced Tomatoes with Garlic and Onion - if you can't find these with the rest of the canned tomatoes, you can substitute with regular canned diced tomatoes and add minced garlic.
- Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup - if using canned, make sure to watch for gluten. Making it homemade is easy and can be gluten-free.
- Tomato Paste
- Sundried tomatoes - you can find these in the vegetable section or salad toppings in your local grocery store. You want the dried variety, not the ones in oil.
- Italian Seasoning - this is an herb seasoning with no salt.
- Cream Cheese - the cream cheese needs to be really soft in order to melt properly. I will often put it in the microwave for a few seconds at a time until it very soft.
- Parmesan Cheese - grate your own or purchase already grated to save time.
- Kosher Salt - feel free to use your favorite kind of salt.
- Ground Black Pepper
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
Be sure to save this pin to Pinterest for later! 😉
Substitutions and Variations
- Substitute or omit the chicken in this recipe and use vegetable broth instead of chicken to make this soup vegetarian. Add cubed tofu if you're looking to add protein!
- Make this a chicken noodle soup by adding 1/2 cup of pasta. Small pasta works best. Add the dried pasta directly to the pot when simmering. Adjust chicken stock if needed. Rice can also be used.
- Use chicken breasts in place of chicken thighs if preferred.
- Adjust or add any seasonings you prefer. Add red pepper flakes, chipotle powder, or your favorite hot sauce if you want to add some spice.
- Add some roasted red peppers if you want to add additional flavor! You could also substitute them for sun-dried tomatoes.
How To Make Chicken Tomato Soup
Preheat the oil in your stock pot over medium high heat.
Add the onion and saute until tender, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute.
Make and Simmer The Soup
Add chicken, chicken broth, diced tomatoes, mushroom soup, tomato paste, sundried tomatoes, and Italian seasoning.
Bring to a boil, turn the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes.
Make it Creamy
Add the softened cream cheese. Stir until melted.
Add salt and pepper to taste. Top with parmesan cheese.
How To Serve Tomato and Chicken Soup
- Garnish with additional parmesan cheese, fresh basil, or sliced green onion.
- Serve with grilled cheese - it's a classic combination that is delicious and comforting.
- Low carb meal option! Serve with a fresh green side salad with Italian Salad Dressing or a Caesar salad!
- Make homemade keto croutons with keto bread! Cube keto bread and toss in a bowl with olive oil and your favorite seasonings. Spread croutons on a baking sheet and bake in the oven until browned. Top your soup with fresh homemade keto croutons.
- If your soup is too acidic from the tomatoes, you can add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda or a little sugar to adjust this.
- Feel free to use a slow cooker or instant pot to make your creamy chicken tomato soup. The instant pot can make this meal a quick one, and the crock pot can be set to low for the day kind of meal, but both options work very well!
- Make sure to simmer your soup on low heat, as the natural sugars in the tomatoes can burn to the bottom of the pot, and the cream will eventually scorch if left on a hot burner for too long.
- Cooking the chicken before or towards the end will help to keep it from overcooking. Check it as you go and make sure it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F or more.
Adding baking soda to tomato-based soups or sauces helps neutralize the acids that come from the tomatoes. Adding baking soda also helps cream or milk from curdling when added to a tomato-based liquid.
Google’s top 8 answers are pretzels, goldfish crackers, pumpkin seeds, croutons, tortilla strips, shredded cheese, avocado, and sour cream. My favorite ingredient is pickled banana peppers!
Normally the chicken can be added towards the end of the soup-making process, but you can also boil the breasts or thighs whole right away in the beginning for approximately 15 minutes and then shred the chicken and add it to the soup later on.
Let the tomato soup cool completely, then transfer it into an airtight container. and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Reheat in the microwave or in a small sauce pot on low until the soup has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees. From frozen, heat in the microwave to loosen the soup, then transfer to a small sauce pot to reheat!
Cool your soup completely and transfer it into an airtight container and store it in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Sun Dried Tomato Soup with Chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon garlic (minced)
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs (cut into 1" pieces)
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 14½ ounces canned diced tomatoes with garlic and onion
- 1 recipe or 10 oz can cream of mushroom soup
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ cup sundried tomatoes (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon sugar or sugar substitute
- 8 ounces cream cheese (very soft)
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat olive oil in a soup pot over medium high heat. Saute onion until tender, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Add chicken, broth, diced tomatoes, cream of mushroom soup, tomato paste, sundried tomatoes, Italian seasoning, and sugar. Stir to combine. Bring to a simmer, turn heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf. Add very soft cream cheese. Stir until melted. Salt and pepper to taste. Top with parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- VARIATIONS: Use chicken breast or thighs. Use regular, light, or nonfat cream cheese.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Adjust salt and pepper as needed. Adjust tartness with 1 tsp of sugar (or a sugar substitute) at a time. Garnish with fresh basil and additional cheese. Serve with crusty bread and a fresh green salad with Italian salad dressing or a caesar salad.
© 2023 Seeking Good Eats™