Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup is a delicious and healthy soup recipe loaded with tender chicken, noodles, fresh vegetables, and the tastiest lemon-herb broth!
Easy Instant Pot recipe! This homemade chicken noodle soup is so easy to make in your Instant Pot. The veggies are cooked in butter for flavor and to get some color, then everything is added and pressure cooked for 5 minutes.
It's a classic. Chicken noodle soup is always a comforting classic. Made with a traditional mirepoix (onion, celery, and carrots), fresh herbs, egg noodles, and of course, chicken. To give it a little oomph, we added lemon juice and used fresh dill and parsley!
Healthy! This recipe has no added sugar, is high in protein, and packed with essential vitamins! Serve alone or serve with a side salad to keep this meal healthy to stay on your health journey.
🥘 Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup Ingredients
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this Instant Pot chicken noodle soup recipe:
- Butter - salted or unsalted. If using salted, watch your additional salt added for flavor. Additionally, you can replace butter with Ghee which is similar to clarified butter. Clarified butter is butter that has been cooked slowly so that the milk fat and water separate and the butterfat can be extracted and used. It has a stronger flavor, is lactose-free, and won't burn!
- Onion - small to medium in size, and you can use white, yellow, or sweet.
- Carrots - peeled whole carrots, then cut into coins. You can also cut up baby carrots if preferred.
- Garlic - use fresh minced garlic cloves or use store-bought minced to save time.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts - substitute with boneless skinless chicken thighs if preferred.
- Chicken Stock or Broth - use any option you prefer. There are also low-sodium chicken broth and reduced-fat options available. Use vegetable broth if you choose as well.
- Fresh Dill - fresh chopped dill gives a bright aromatic touch to this soup that makes it stand out. You can use dried dill as well if you can't find fresh.
- Fresh Parsley - fresh chopped parsley is also best to get the flavor payoff of this herb. You can use leftovers for a light garnish as well!
- Lemon Juice - if using fresh lemons, you will need one lemon for 2 tablespoons. You can zest the lemon for fresh zest to add to your soup as well.
- Bay Leaves - whole bay leaves are added to the soup during the cooking process to release the oils for flavor. Be sure to remove them at the end.
- Green Onion - fresh sliced green onion is added to the soup at the end and can be used as garnish as well.
- Egg Noodles - traditionally, wide egg noodles are used in chicken noodle soup and can be found in the dried pasta in your local grocery store.
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
🔪 How To Make Chicken Noodle Soup
Here are the step-by-step instructions for making this Instant Pot chicken noodle soup:
Set the Instant Pot to a medium-high saute setting. Add butter, onion, carrots, celery, and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes.
Add Remaining Ingredients
Add chicken, chicken broth, herbs, rice, bay leaves, lemon juice, herbs, salt, and pepper to the pot.
Secure the lid, then set the Instant Pot to high pressure, 5 minutes cooking time. Once the pressure cooking cycle is complete, quick release the pressure.
Add The Noodles
If you add the noodles raw to cook in the soup, set the pot to low.
Add the egg noodles and cook, string occasionally until the noodles are tender, about 10 to 20 minutes. (Alternatively, you can cook the noodles ahead of time and add them fully cooked after the pressure cooking is complete).
Stir in the green onion at the end into the soup. Serve in a bowl and top with additional herbs or green onion.
🥗 How To Serve It
Here are a few ways to serve this Instant Pot chicken noodle soup:
Garnish your soup with additional fresh chopped herbs, green onion, or chives.
Serve with crusty bread or your favorite crackers such as saltines, oyster crackers, or any others!
Add a side salad! Feel free to use your own favorite salad recipe or try this easy Blue Cheese Wedge Salad!
Here are a few ways you can customize this recipe:
- Make this recipe vegetarian by omitting the chicken, and substituting the chicken broth with vegetable broth! Add extra noodles if desired.
- Use chicken thighs or breasts.
- Substitute the olive oil with any oils of your choice. You can also replace butter with ghee which is a fancy word for clarified butter which is more concentrated, flavorful, and healthy than standard butter.
- Add more of your favorite vegetables to the soup, such as corn, peas, zucchini, and mushrooms.
- Add additional seasoning as preferred to this soup. Some like to add ginger, onion powder, garlic powder, or even thyme. `
💭 Top Tips
- If you don't own an instant pot, you can utilize a crock pot or a large stock pot on a stove-top burner as well. Cooking times will differ and take a bit longer. For a slow cooker cook all ingredients for 4 to 6 hours on low. Add the pasta the last 30 minutes. For a stovetop, simmer (covered) for about 20 minutes until the chicken is cooked.
- If you prefer a bit of spice, add a touch of red pepper flake to take this chicken noodle soup to the next level!
- Once your pasta is cooked, make sure to remove your chicken soup from the heat to prevent it from overcooking.
To store leftovers, allow your leftovers to cool. Transfer them into an air-tight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Reheat your leftovers in a small saucepan on the stovetop or in a microwave-safe dish until the temperature of your liking has been reached!
Cool your leftovers and transfer them into an air-tight container for storage. Freeze your leftovers for up to 3 months.
Yes, of course you can! Be sure to have enough liquid, as dry pasta soaks up water. Add your dry pasta to the broth when it is simmering, and stir frequently.
Chicken is best when it reaches the proper temperature to be eaten (165 degrees). Chicken can be overcooked in soup and will slowly break down and fall apart as time moves along.
The key ingredients for a flavorful chicken soup, besides chicken, is the mirepoix (celery, onion, carrots) and stock. Onion and garlic are the top two ingredients bringing impactful flavors, including butter, parsley, and bay leaves for depth. Please see our recipe for more details.
✔️ More Instant Pot Soup Recipes
If you are looking for more delicious Instant Pot soup recipes, check these out:
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 1 cup carrots (peeled and sliced)
- 2 stalks celery (chopped)
- 3 teaspoons garlic (minced)
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (approx. 4 cups, cut into 1" cubes)
- 32 ounces chicken stock or broth
- 1 tablespoons fresh chopped dill
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ⅓ cup green onion (sliced)
- 2 cups dry egg noodles
- Set Instant Pot to medium-high saute setting. Add butter, onion, carrots, celery, and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken, chicken broth, herbs, bay leaves, lemon juice, herbs, salt, and pepper to the pot.
- Secure lid, then set the Instant Pot to high pressure, 5 minutes cooking time. Once the pressure cooking cycle is complete, quick release the pressure.
- Set the pot to saute setting, low. Add egg noodles and cook, stirring occasionally until the noodles are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.(Alternatively, you can cook the noodles ahead of time and add after the pressure cooking is complete.)
- Stir green onion into the soup.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- VARIATIONS: Substitute other oils or ghee in place of butter; use thighs instead of chicken breast. Use parsley instead of dill - or a combination of both. Add more vegetables such as corn, peas, zucchini, and mushrooms. Adjust any seasoning to taste.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Garnish with chopped parsley, dill, or additional green onions. Serve with crackers or crusty bread.
© 2023 Seeking Good Eats™