Mexican chicken salad is DELICIOUS!! A make-ahead chicken salad recipe with Mexican-inspired flair and the perfect blend of sweet, salty, and tart. Serve over a bed of lettuce, wrapped in a tortilla, on a croissant - or straight out of the bowl! Ready to make it?
Why You'll ❤️ This Chicken Salad Recipe
"Classic chicken salad upgraded with a Mexican inspired twist. So good. One of my favorite chicken salads - I love to wrap it in a tortilla with a little lettuce for lunches."
Mexican Inspired Flavors. You'll love the blend of Mexican spices with the creamy dressing, rotisserie chicken, mango, jalapeno, cilantro, and sweet corn.
Make-Ahead. Make this recipe ahead for both convenience and best flavor. Any recipe that can be made ahead is perfect in my book.
Adaptable. You can adapt this recipe to keto by removing the mango and corn. Substitute keto-friendly dried berries. Serve wrapped in lettuce or low carb tortillas.
What You Will Need
Here are the ingredients you will need to make Mexican Chicken Salad:
- Rotisserie Chicken - grilled chicken that has been shredded is another great substitute.
- Frozen Sweet Corn - sweet corn or extra sweet corn has the best flavor in this salad.
- Radishes - you may or may not have added radishes to a chicken salad before, but it is tasty! They add crunch and a tiny bit of peppery spice.
- Celery - adds crunch and freshness.
- Red Onion - red onions are my favorite onion to use in this salad because of the color and sweetness.
- Mango - a must to add. - they add a delicious sweet-tart taste.
- Jalapeno - one jalapeno is used and the salad is on the mild side. You could also use pickled jalapeno if you prefer!
- Fresh Cilantro - fresh cilantro is a must.
- Pepitas - these are shelled and roasted pumpkin seeds that are small and greenish in color.
- Sour Cream - feel free to substitute Mexican crema or Greek yogurt in place of the sour cream. Note that Mexican crema is slightly runnier than sour cream so you may need to use a little less.
- Salt and Pepper
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
How To Make It
Here are the step-by-step instructions for making Mexican chicken salad:
Step One. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate about 24 hours before you wish to serve.
Step Two. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Step Three. Serve it up.
How To Serve It
Before serving adjust any seasonings and garnish with radish slices, lime, and cilantro.
Serve your Mexican chicken salad over a bed of lettuce such as romaine or arugula, as a lettuce wrap, or wrapped in tortillas. It is also delicious served in a croissant, or in favorite bread.
Meal Idea! Makes a great lunch. Wrap in lettuce or a tortilla and serve with a side of fresh fruit with Roasted Chili Corn Salsa and some chips.
Be sure to save this pin to Pinterest for later! 🙂
Here are a few ways you can vary or make substitutions to this recipe:
- Even with the jalapeno, this salad is on the mild side. If you like it spicy add more jalapeno and even some cayenne pepper.
- If serving right away, add in chopped avocado.
- Use grilled chicken in place of rotisserie chicken.
- You can add more mango if you want, but keep in mind it will make the salad more liquid.
- Use any salted or toasted nut in place of the toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- Substitute sour orange for the lime. If you've never tried a sour orange - it's a must!
- Make this salad 24 hours before you wish to serve it.
- Don't forget to thaw the corn before adding the salad. Drain any liquid first.
- Watch this to learn how to cut a mango!
How To Store
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Mexican Chicken Salad
- 4 cups chicken breast (cooked and shredded)
- 1 cup sweet frozen corn (thawed)
- 2 stalks celery (sliced about ¼")
- ½ cup radishes (cut into bite size pieces)
- ¼ cup red onion (finely chopped)
- 1 mango (½" diced)
- 1 jalapeno (remove seeds and finely chop)
- ½ cup pepitas (shelled, roasted, and salted)
- ¼ cup cilantro (chopped; save a little for garnish)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 limes (juice of 1 lime plus extra slices for garnish)
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with sliced radishes and cilantro for garnish.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- VARIATIONS: Use grilled chicken in place of rotisserie chicken. Make it spicier by adding more jalapeno.
- TOP TIPS: Can be made up to 24 hours in advance.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Garnish with radish slices, lime slices, and fresh cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
© 2023 Seeking Good Eats™