Best Juicy Turkey Recipe (Keto Low Carb), is a super easy, fuss-free turkey that is tender and juicy with a delicious seasoned healthy homemade Shake and Bake coating.
This Shake and Bake turkey is easy to make, healthy, low carb, gluten-free, sugar-free, and keto-friendly. This is sure to be a hit on your holiday table!
Why You'll Love This Turkey Recipe
"You can thank my boys for this idea! When they were little they used to beg for Shake and Bake chicken. I'll admit I loved it too. One Thanksgiving our oldest asked if we could have a Shake and Bake Turkey instead of regular turkey! Funny! I tried it and it turned out fantastic! Now for my homemade HEALTHY copycat version..." 🙂
Only a few ingredients and you got this! Premake the low carb copycat shake and bake seasoning prior to starting the recipe! The seasoning will last for weeks and weeks in an airtight container.
Oh my gosh. This is so juicy and tender and has the tastiest crispy coating that adds so much flavor!! You've got to try this recipe. This is a hit in our house and with our guests!
Healthy Low Carb Keto Turkey.
This turkey recipe is made with a low carb, sugar-free, gluten-free, and keto-friendly copycat shake and bake seasoning.
The seasoning is made with pork panko instead of bread crumbs, therefore lowering the carbs and increasing the healthy fats you are looking for. The recipe can be here: Homemade Shake and Bake (Copycat Shake and Bake – Keto)
14.5 g fat | 2.9 g net carbs | 19.9 g protein
Juicy and Moist
The copycat shake and bake seasoning makes a very flavorful crisp coating that also helps to seal in the juices. A super juicy and moist turkey is just what everyone loves!
Ingredients and Tools
1 (12 to 14 lb) whole turkey, thawed
1 lemon, cut into wedges
1 onion, peeled and cut into wedges
4-6 sprigs of fresh herbs (plus extra for garnish)
1/4 cup olive oil (or as needed, up to 1/2 cup)
1 recipe, keto copycat shake and bake seasoning
"Try using mayonnaise or melted butter instead of olive oil! Both are great!"
- roasting pan with rack
- instant-read thermometer
- cutting board
- chef knife
- kitchen twine
- paper towels
- optional: oven roasting bag - turkey size
- large platter
- carving knife
- Use mayonnaise or melted butter as a substitute for olive oil.
- Although it is not low carb, you can substitute regular store-bought Shake and Bake seasoning instead of our Homemade Shake and Bake (Copycat Shake and Bake).
- Add diced fresh herbs into the seasoned coating mix if desired.
- You can stuff the turkey with stuffing if desired, but follow the roasting instructions that come with the turkey for best results.
How to Serve
Here are a few recipes that will I have made over the holidays throughout the years that will make your life super easy. These are either make-ahead recipes, slow cooker, or super easy - or all 3! 🙂
FYI. Most of these are low carb and keto but they can easily be converted to the full-on carb versions. Enjoy!
- Layered Salad (Layered Overnight Salad)
- Crockpot Green Beans and Ham (Low Carb Keto)
- Red Cabbage Recipe (Roasted Red Cabbage) - this is so GOOD! Check out the recipe - even if you're a cabbage hater (like I used to be).
- World's Easiest Mashed potatoes. Not low carb! I always cook my potatoes in a slow cooker. I don't even peel them! Just cube them, drop them in the cork, add 1 cup of veggie or chicken broth. Cook on low 4 to 6 hours. Once soft I add butter and cream straight into the crockpot and mix with my handheld mixer! Seriously. Super easy.
- Cranberry Trifle Recipe (Sugar-Free Keto Trifle)
- Low Carb Cranberry Mojitos (Sugar-Free Keto Cocktail)
- Most recipe ideas are at the bottom of the post!
Step by Step Instructions
Remove turkey from the refrigerator 30 minutes prior to roasting. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Remove the neck and giblets. Be sure to check both cavities. Rinse and pat turkey dry with paper towels. Place turkey in a large roasting pan. Fold wings under turkey and then tie legs together with kitchen twine. Stuff onion, lemon, and herbs into the cavity.
Drizzle olive oil over turkey and brush or rub oil all over the skin.
Sprinkle seasoning mix over the turkey pressing it on as you go to help it stay on.
Roast until the temperature reaches 165 degrees in the breast and 180 degrees in the thigh (without touching any bone). (Note: our 12.5 lb turkey took approx. 3-1/2 hours to roast). Let turkey stand, covered in foil, for 15 to 20 minutes prior to carving to let juices settle.
"For less mess and quicker cooking use an oven roasting bag. Make sure to follow the roasting instructions that come with the bags as the temperature and time may be different than this recipe."
- Always use an instant read thermometer to test doneness. Check the temperature after 3 hours. Use the USDA guidelines for roasting times. USDA How To Roast A Turkey info. here
- When checking doneness in the breast and thigh, make sure you don't touch a bone it skews the temperature.
- I would highly recommend using a turkey-sized oven roasting bag - it is easier to clean up, cooks faster, and holds even more juices in!
- If you are not using a bag, you can place foil over the breast when it is about two-thirds done.
How Long To Thaw a Turkey?
It takes approximately 24 hours for every 4 pounds of turkey in the refrigerator. Thaw the unopened turkey on a tray or platter with the breat side up.
You can also thaw the turkey in cold water which takes around 30 minutes per pound. Thaw the unopened turkey, breast side down, in a sink full of cold water. You will need to change your water every 30 minutes.
How Do You Carve A Turkey?
- Remove the legs. While holding the drumstick, cut through the skin and the joint of the leg. Separate the thigh and the drumstick at the joint.
- Remove the wings. Hold the wing, make a horizontal cut above the wing and cut through the turkey frame.
- Slice remaining meat starting at the breast. At the bottom of the breast, make a horizontal cut. From there, make thin vertical slices downward toward the horizontal cut. The pieces will come off at the horizontal cut.
How Long Will Cooked Turkey Keep?
A roasted turkey will keep up to 3 days stored in an air-tight container. Carve the turkey into pieces before storing.
- Slow Cooker Ham With Coke (Low Carb and Keto Ham Recipe)
- How To Cook A Prime Rib Roast (Prime Rib Recipe)
- How to Roast A Goose (Christmas Goose Recipe)
- Cordon Bleu Stuffed Pork Loin
- Brown Sugar Bourbon Glazed Ham (Sugar-Free Glazed Ham)
How to Share This Recipe
We'd LOVE for you to help us share this recipe! Here's how:
Review our recipe
We love reviews! Please leave a review and a comment. Your feedback is appreciated! 🙂
Share Your Photos
Show us what a star chef you are! Take photos of this dish and share them! We'd LOVE to see them!
Upload a photo of this dish to our Pinterest pin
tag @seekinggoodeats and hashtag it #seekinggoodeats
Pin Our Pin
Share our pin and pin on Pinterest!
Try this juicy turkey recipe with homemade Shake and Bake seasoning. YEP. Shake and Bake turkey! This is a healthy, low carb, gluten free, and keto turkey recipe that perfect for everyone at your holiday table! An easy no-fuss roast turkey! A fuss-free easy Thanksgiving turkey - perfect holiday recipe! #turkey #roastturkey #juicyturkey #shakeandbake #holidayrecipe #thanksgiving #christmas #lowcarb #keto #glutenfree #holidayrecipe