Asparagus in air fryer - super simple and tasty with parmesan cheese, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar for a tangy twist. Only 7 ingredients and a few minutes in your air fryer for this delicious vegetable side dish. Best part? This recipe is also gluten free, low carb, and keto.
Why You'll Love This
"A quick and simple way to make some really delicious asparagus." -Kori
Quick and Easy
Who doesn't love a quick and easy side dish recipe? I love using fresh vegetables, but sometimes they can take too long to prepare - not asparagus, though! This is a quick and easy recipe.
Snap off the ends of asparagus, and they will naturally break at their tough point. Rinse and continue with the recipe by tossing in the seasoning, oil, and vinegar, then air frying.
Tasty with a Tangy Twist
One of my favorite things about this recipe is balsamic vinegar. It ups the flavor with a tangy twist that's unexpected.
Low Carb Keto
Air fried asparagus is a gluten free, low carb, keto recipe with only 2.9 grams of net carbs and 11.3 grams of healthy fat from olive oil and cheese.
This recipe is a great way to add more healthy fat to your diet.
2.9 grams net carbs | 11.3 grams fat | 3.5 grams protein
🎥 Watch Video
How To Serve
Serve asparagus as a side dish with just about any protein - chicken, pork, beef, and fish recipes.
Here are a few recipes that would pair well with air-fried asparagus:
- Keto Low Carb Smoked Salmon Frittata Recipe
- Parmesan Crusted Air Fryer Tilapia (Keto Low Carb)
- Cordon Bleu Stuffed Pork Loin
- Garlic Parmesan Wings Air Fryer Recipe
Here are the ingredients you'll need to make air fried asparagus:
See the recipe card for quantities.
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Kosher Salt or Sea Salt
- Ground Black Pepper
- Dried Herb Blend - use Italian seasoning, herbs de provence, or a combination of your favorite herbs such as thyme, parsley, basil, etc.
- Olive Oil
- Grated Parmesan Cheese - fresh grated
- Optional - parsley to garnish
Equipment and tools needed to make this recipe:
- Air Fryer - I've been using a Ninja Foodi for air frying, slow cooking, and pressure cooking. Works like a charm and I've been able to pair down the appliances in my kitchen.
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- 1 large mixing bowl
- Tongs - For tossing the asparagus. Use silicone-tipped if you have a nonstick basket.
- Chef knife - To trim bottom of asparagus spears
- Vegetable Peeler - To peel off any tough or "woody" ends of asparagus.
Here are a few ways you can vary or make substitutions to this recipe:
- To make this dairy free eliminate parmesan cheese.
- Lower sugar content, reduce the amount of balsamic vinegar.
- Lower the fat by using less olive oil or switch to an 100% olive oil spray.
- Reduce the protein by using less cheese.
- Add 1 to 2 cloves of minced garlic, or 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder if desired.
- Don't like vinegar? elminate it completely or use a little lemon juice instead.
- Instead of parmesan try a different cheese such as crumbled goat cheese or feta.
- Experiment with different types of seasoning or spices. This recipe calls for an Italian seasoning or herbs de Provence, but you can use any combination of your favorite dried herbs such as parsley, basil, or thyme.
Here's how to make air fryer roasted asparagus:
For complete instructions, please see the printable recipe card below.
Wash and rinse asparagus.
Snap the asparagus ends near the bottom of the spear.
Hint: The asparagus will naturally snap at the tough point in the spear.
Mix Asparagus and Seasoning
Preheat air fryer to 375F.
Add asparagus, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, dried herbs, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Toss to coat.
Place asparagus spears in the air fryer basket and cook for 5 minutes.
Toss the asparagus in the basket and continue cooking for 5 to 7 minutes longer or until tender.
Hint: Every air fryer is different, so you may need to adjust the cooking time and possibly the temperature based upon what brand of air fryer you have.
Remove asparagus from the fryer basket and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
Adjust salt and pepper as needed. Serve and enjoy!
- There is a variance in cooking times and temperature among air fryer brands. The first time you make this recipe watch the asparagus carefully and take note of any time and temperature adjustments you had to make for the next time you make this recipe.
- Snap of the bottom of each asparagus spear to remove the tough ends. If the asparagus spears still seem "woody" or tough use a peeler to remove some of the outer skin on the remaining bottom1 to 2 inches.
- If you are not sure about using balsamic vinegar, drizzle on a little after the asparagus are cooked.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste after cooking.
Can you air fry asparagus?
Yes! You can air fry asparagus t 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 to 12 minutes or until tender. See the full recipe below for details.
How to cook asparagus in an air fryer
Preheat the air fryer to 375 F for 5 minutes. Toss 1 pound asparagus with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Air fry for 5 minutes, then stir the asparagus in the basket. Continue cooking for 5 to 7 more minutes or until tender.
How to reheat asparagus in an air fryer
To reheat asparagus in an air fryer, preheat to 375F for 5 minutes. Place asparagus in basket and cook for 3 to 5 minutes until heated through.
How long to cook asparagus in air fryer
Cook asparagus in the air fryer for 10 to 12 minutes (or until tender) at 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
How long will asparagus keep?
Cooked asparagus will keep 2 to 3 days.
Raw asparagus is best when eaten within 1 day of purchasing; however, there are a couple of methods for storing asparagus that will keep it up to 4 days. See "How to store raw asparagus" below.
How to store raw asparagus
First, cut off the bottom 1/2 to 1" of the asparagus spears. Then proceed with one of the following methods for storing raw asparagus:
- Wrap in wet paper towels and place in a large plastic bage. Store in refrigerator.
- Stand asparagus upright in a jar filled halfway with water. Cover the asparagus with plastic wrap or a bag, and place in the refrigerator. If the water becomes dirty or murky give it some fresh water.
How to store asparagus after cooking
Store cooked asparagus in an air-tight container in your refrigerator for up to 2 or 3 days.
Is asparagus keto?
Yes, asparagus is keto. For more information on what foods are keto, see my FREE downloadable and printable keto food list.
More Asparagus Recipes
Here are a few more recipes that call for asparagus. I think you'll like these!
More Air Fryer Recipes
If you are looking for more delicious air fryer recipes, here are a few of my favorite ideas that would go well with this air-fried asparagus recipe! 🙂
- Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
- Air Fryer Crab Cakes
- Air Fryer Salmon Patties
- Lemon Pepper Wings Air Fryer Recipe
⭐ Stay Connected
If you tried air fryer asparagus, let me know! I'd love for you to come back and give the recipe a star rating and/or a review in the comments! 🙂 Let's stay connected, so please share photos of your creations with me and others on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!