This bacon wrapped asparagus air fryer recipe is so good. Dare I say they are like asparagus bundles of bacon and brown sugar crack?😉 Easy to make and a huge hit whenever they're served!
Why You'll ❤️ This
"I love to serve these for brunch and they are one of the first things to go. It seems you can never have enough. lol 🙂 "
Not Your Average Asparagus
These are definitely not your ordinary asparagus! They taste amazing, I mean they ARE wrapped in bacon and coated in brown sugar, right?
I made this recipe with a brown sugar substitute and a maple syrup substitute to make them low carb, keto, sugar-free, and gluten-free. You can just as easily use regular versions.
🥗 How To Serve Them
These bacon wrapped asparagus go well with just about anything!
Got asparagus? 🙂 Got a couple of must-make recipes with asparagus to try! This Creamy Chicken and Asparagus Casserole is a super popular dinner idea. If you want to go really quick and simple make this air fryer asparagus recipe.
🥘 What You Will Need
Here are the ingredients and tools you will need to make bacon wrapped asparagus (air fryer recipe):
- Asparagus Spears
- Bacon - I love using hickory-smoked or maple
- Brown Sugar or a Sugar Substitute
- Red Pepper Flakes - these add a little kick to the bundles, but you can omit or use only 1/8 teaspoon if you aren't sure.
- Maple Syrup or a Sugar-Free Substitute
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
Equipment and tools needed to make this recipe:
🔪 How To Make Bacon Wrapped Asparagus (Air Fryer)
Here are the step-by-step instructions for making this air fried bacon wrapped asparagus recipe:
Step One. Mix butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes in a small bowl.
Step Two. Add asparagus to a medium-sized bowl. Pour the melted butter mixture over the top and stir to coat the asparagus.
Step Three. Wrap 3 to 4 pieces of asparagus with 1 slice of bacon, working from end to end, wrapping tightly. Set each bundle on a tray or baking sheet, seam side down, until ready to fry.
Step Four. Preheat the air fryer to 360 degrees. Place bacon-wrapped asparagus into the air fryer basket in a single layer, working in batches.
Step Five. Air fry 10 to 15 minutes turning after 6 or 7 minutes. Use the time as a guideline only, when the asparagus is tender and the bacon a golden brown, they are done.
Hint: because of the brown sugar these can sometimes smoke. You can do a couple of things - add a little water into the base of the air fryer (read manufacturer instructions to see if it is okay for your model), or you can toss the asparagus with the brown sugar and maple syrup closer to the end of the air frying.
💭 Top Tips
- Make-ahead tips: pre-assemble the asparagus and wrap in bacon ahead of time. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 day before cooking.
- Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water to the base of the air fryer to help stop any smoking. (Be sure to read manufacturer guidelines first - not all models can do this).
- There are temperature variances among air fryer units. Know your air fryer and adjust the time and temperature accordingly.
My favorite way is to reheat these in an air fryer at 350 degrees for 2 to 3 minutes. You can also reheat them in your oven at 350, for about 5 mintues.
To store leftovers, let the cooked asparagus cool completely, then transfer to an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. See reheating instructions below.
Yes, bacon wrapped asparagus can be baked. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Place asparagus on a greased foil-lined baking sheet. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until tender. Be sure to turn them over halfway.
To remove the woody tough part of the asparagus before cooking.
Yes, absolutely. Assemble the recipe up to one day in advance. Cover with plastic wrap. Store in your refrigerator until you are ready to air fry them.
✔️ More Air Fryer Vegetable Recipes
If you are looking for more delicious air fryer vegetable recipes, check these out:
⭐ Let's Connect
Air Fryer Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
- 16 ounces asparagus (trimmed)
- 16 ounces thin-sliced bacon (maple or hickoy-smoked)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (or a sugar-free substitute)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (or a sugar-free substitute)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Mix butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes in a small bowl.
- Add asparagus to a medium-sized bowl. Pour the melted butter mixture over the top and stir to coat the asparagus.
- Wrap 3 to 4 pieces of asparagus with 1 slice of bacon, working from end to end, wrapping tightly. Set each bundle on a tray or baking sheet, seam side down, until ready to air fry.
- Preheat the air fryer to 360 degrees. Place bacon-wrapped asparagus in the air fryer basket in a single layer, working in batches.
- Air fry 10 to 15 minutes turning after 6 or 7 minutes. When the asparagus is tender and the bacon a golden brown, they are done.
- Serve sprinkled with additional brown sugar if desired, and season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- VARIATIONS: Use regular brown sugar and maple syrup - or substitute sugar free versions.
- TOP TIPS: Make-ahead tip pre-assemble the asparagus and wrap in bacon ahead of time. Store in the refrigerator up to 1 day before cooking. Every air fryer is different so adjust your time and temperature according to your model.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Serve with Eggs Benedict Frittata, Lemon Pepper Wings, or a Pan-Seared Ribeye.
© 2022 Seeking Good Eats™