Air Fryer Fried Green Tomatoes are delicious and much healthier than the traditional version fried in oil! Crispy seasoned and breaded golden crust on the outside with tart green tomato goodness on the inside. Less than 15 minutes start to finish, only 8 ingredients, and you'll have yourself a delicious side dish or snack.
Air Fryer Green Tomatoes
"This is a much easier, healthy, AND tastier way to make fried green tomatoes. This is my favorite way to use up any unripened tomatoes. The seasoned coating pairs well with the tartness of the tomatoes." -Kori
Quick and Easy
I think you'll love this air fried green tomatoes recipe! They are quick and easy to make, and I believe they have the perfect balance of crisp paired with seasoned breading, a little Italian seasoning, and parmesan cheese - all fried to perfection.
Tangy Yet Tasty
What to do with green tomatoes? That is the question. Green tomatoes on their own are so tart, too tart for most people to enjoy. Enter, air fryer green tomatoes. 🙂
Coated in delicious breading that has a little sweetener and salt to offset the tartness of the tomato, these air fryer green tomatoes are the best way to eat these tangy yet tasty treats.
Fried green tomatoes in air fryer are much healthier than those fried in oil. This recipe is lower in fat and calories than traditional fried green tomatoes.
A note to keto followers: this recipe may be considered low carb depending upon your daily carb requirements, but not necessarily keto due to the flour and breadcrumbs used.
97 Calories | 14.4 g Carbs | 13 g Net Carbs | 2.4 grams Fat | 4.8 g Protein
How To Serve
Fried green tomatoes can be served as a side dish, appetizer, or snack. They taste great with a sweeter dipping sauce such as ketchup (my favorite), marinara, or ranch.
Ingredients and Tools
Here are the ingredients and tools you'll need to make air fryer fried green tomatoes:
Please see the printable recipe card below for ingredient amounts.
- Green tomatoes - you can also use partially ripened tomatoes and even ripe tomatoes. You can use small to large green tomatoes based on what you have. Please see the Tips section below.
- All Purpouse Flour
- Panko Bread Crumbs - you can also use standard bread crumbs
- Parmesan Cheese - use the finely grated parmesan cheeese
- Italian Seasoning
- Kosher Salt or Sea Salt
- Ground black Pepper
- Olive Oil Cooking Spray - Use a good quality 100% olive oil spray for best results. The spray helps to give the tomatoes a crispy crust.
- Air Fryer - I've been using a Ninja Foodi for air frying, slow cooking, and pressure cooking. Works like a charm and I've been able to pair down the appliances in my kitchen.
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- 3 Bowls
- Mixing spoon
There are a few ways you can vary or make substitutions to your fried green tomatoes in air fryer recipe:
- Experiment with different types of seasoning or spices. This recipe calls for an Italian seasoning but you could use cajun, garlic powder and basil, herbes de provence, etc. If you use a seasoning that contains salt you will need to lower the salt called for in the recipe.
- You can use partially ripened tomatoes, or even ripened tomatoes. The more ripe the tomatoes the faster they will cook. With a fully ripe tomato you only need to be concerned with getting a golden crust, the insides are already soft enough.
Here's how to make this fried green tomatoes recipe:
Please see the printable recipe card below for complete details.
Preheat air fryer to 350F.
Place flour in a small bowl.
In a second small bowl, beat the egg.
Mix panko bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and sugar in a third bowl.
Dip in Coating
Dip both sides of the tomato slices first in flour, then the egg mixture, and finally the breadcrumb mixture. Place each slice on a plate until ready to air fry.
Air Fry Tomatoes
Place tomato slices in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Spray oil on tomato slices and fry for 7 minutes.
Turn over and continue cooking until tomatoes are tender and golden, approximately 7 minutes more.
Serve on their own or with a dipping sauce. Adjust salt, pepper, and sugar as needed. Enjoy!
- Green tomatoes are tart, you can offset the tartness by sprinkling with additional sugar. There is some sugar added to the coating but depending upon the tartness of the tomato (some are very tart) you may need to add more.
- Use room temperature tomatoes. Cold tomatoes will take longer to cook and the crust will get crisp and brown before the inside is tender.
- Use uniform slices. Try and slice your tomatoes the same thickness so they will cook in the same amount of time.
- How long the tomatoes cook depends on their size and your air fryer. Experiment with a few following this recipe then adjust time and temperature as needed. Keep your eye on the tomatoes while cooking they can go from perfect to burnt in the blink of an eye.
Can you air fry tomatoes?
Yes! You can fry tomatoes. Many recipes use a batter then oil fry the curds, but this recipe uses a coating and an air fryer.
Can you air fry tomatoes without coating?
You don't have to use a coating or batter, but for best results, a coating with flour and breadcrumbs is necessary to absorb the tomato's excess moisture and bind the coating while air frying.
This recipe uses flour, breadcrumb, and parmesan cheese coating.
How many carbs in this green tomato air fryer recipe?
Green tomatoes in air fryer have 14.4 grams of carbs for each serving (1 large slice). There is 1.4 g dietary fiber and 13 g net carbs. Flour is used in the recipe, as well as panko bread crumbs.
Are fried green tomatoes healthy?
The answer to this question does depend upon the recipe you are using.
Air fryer green tomatoes are healthier and lower in calories, fat, and carbohydrates than traditional ones fried in oil.
Air Fryer Recipes
If you are looking for more delicious air fryer recipes, here are a few of my favorite ideas -from snacks to main dishes! 🙂 Some can even be both.
- Air Fryer Cheese Curds
- Lemon Pepper Wings Air Fryer Recipe
- Garlic Parmesan Wings Air Fryer Recipe
- Air Fryer Nachos
- Pork Rind Nachos (Air Fryer)
- Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
- Air Fryer Crab Cakes
- Air Fryer Salmon Patties
- Parmesan Crusted Air Fryer Tilapia
⭐ Stay Connected
If you tried air fryer fried green tomatoes, let me know! I'd love for you to come back and give the recipe a star rating and/or a review in the comments! 🙂 Let's stay connected, so please share photos of your creations with me and others on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
Air Fryer Fried Green Tomatoes are a super easy and tasty side dish or snack! Fried green tomatoes in air fryer are much healthier than those fried in oil. Crispy seasoning coating over tender tart green tomatoes. Delish. Only 8 ingredients and less than 15 minutes from start to finish! Delicious dipped in ketchup or marinara sauce.