This Roasted Pumpkin and Beetroot Salad is delicious with a unique Indian-Asian twist. You'll love the curry roasted vegetables cooled then tossed with lime and fresh cilantro. This easy vegetable side dish can be customized many ways - and would be gorgeous on any holiday table.
You'll ❤️ This Beet Salad Recipe
"Roasting vegetables is a great way to add flavor to salads. Roast the vegetable ahead of time and cool. See below for delicious ways to serve this beetroot salad."
Roasted Pumpkin Salad and Roasted Beet Salad with Feta and Citrus Vinaigrette are two delicious salads using pumpkins or beets - or both! 🙂 If you love beets you must try these Air Fryer Beets with Balsamic Glaze.
This recipe is made up of two vegetables; pumpkin and beetroot. They are the star of the show! Roasting vegetables brings out natural sugars, and then those sugars carmelize, making them truly delectable.
When trying to balance out multiple strong flavors, you have to use care not to use too many different flavors - instead, use strong flavors that pair well together. Using citrus and fresh cilantro with roasted beetroot and pumpkin, all pair well together.
This beetroot salad is full of vital nutrients and uses healthy fats from olive oil, is lower in carbohydrates, is gluten-free, vegan, and low-calorie. This is a great side dish to prepare with a lean protein to balance out your meal.
🥘 What You Will Need
Here are the ingredients you will need to make beetroot salad:
Fresh Beetroot - use fresh beets in this recipe. You can use traditional red beets, golden beets, or any others you may prefer.
Fresh Pumpkin - use a sized pumpkin for the amount of salad you want to prepare.
Olive Oil - you can also use extra virgin olive oil, or any other you prefer.
Curry Powder - curry powder is a blend of savory and sweet spices. Traditionally you will find different spice levels for curry powder as well, and make sure you check that when purchasing it. I prefer to start with a mild curry powder and add spice if I desire to.
Ground Black Pepper
Fresh Lime Juice - apple cider vinegar is another acidic alternative if you don't have lime juice.
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
🔪 How To Make
Here are the step-by-step instructions for making this beetroot salad:
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl mix the beetroot, pumpkin, two tablespoons olive oil, one half tablespoon curry powder, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat.
Roast Pumpkin and Beetroot
Transfer to a baking sheet and spread vegetables out in a single layer.
Roast vegetables for 35 to 40 minutes or until they are just tender but not overdone. Hint: stir the vegetables about halfway through to ensure they are evenly cooked.
Cool the vegetables completely before assembling the salad.
Add pumpkin and beetroot to a bowl.
Pour one tablespoon of fresh lime juice and the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil over the top, then sprinkle with cilantro. Stir together.
Taste test and adjust the salt and pepper as needed.
Add remaining lime juice if tartness or acidity is needed. Add the remaining curry for additional spice.
Let sit for 5 minutes and then serve.
🥗 How To Serve
Here are a few ways to serve roasted pumpkin and beetroot salad:
To serve as a salad, cool the vegetables first. The roasted vegetables can also be served right out of the oven as well.
Drizzle a little maple syrup over your salad for a bit of sweetness!
Top it off with creamy crumbled goat cheese or feta, crumbled bacon, and toasted pine nuts to really elevate this salad!
Add in 2 cups arugula, baby spinach, or other greens. If greens are added, more dressing will be needed.
Meal idea! Pair this salad with Roasted Lamb Breast! It also makes a beautiful holiday side dish!
Here are a few more ways you can customize this beet salad recipe:
- Make it even spicier by adding crushed red pepper flakes and cayenne pepper or by using hot curry powder! Top tip: start light-handed with your spices, as the heat can build quickly.
- Instead of cilantro, you can use finely chopped chives. You could also replace the cilantro with any of your favorite fresh herbs, such as rosemary, thyme, or sage.
- Try replacing the pumpkin with other fall favorites, such as butternut squash or even sweet potatoes. Yum!
💭 Top Tips
- Be sure to check the doneness of your roasted vegetables as they cook. You still want them a little firm but cooked. Overcooked, and they can get a bit mushy.
- Beets take longer to cook, so cut them into smaller pieces. For roasting consistency, cut the beets in similar-sized pieces and the same when cutting the pumpkin.
- Don’t overcrowd your roasting pan, as this will lead to steamed vegetables instead of golden roasted vegetables!
How To Store
Store beetroot salad in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. I would suggest storing your finished ingredients in separate air-tight containers and building your salad daily for the best quality! All ingredients will last up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
The skin of beetroot is perfectly edible when roasted. Some varieties of beets have a slightly thicker skin, which may give your cooked beet a little more texture, but are still quite delicious!
Butternut pumpkins are said to be the best for roasting, as their skin is very thin and does not need to be peeled.
Pumpkins aren’t as earthy as a beet and grow above ground, making them a bit sweeter in flavor. Creamy cheeses like Gruyère and goat cheese bring nutty flavors that are very tasty!
✔️ More Salad Recipes
If you are looking for more delicious salads, check these out:
- Roasted Beet Salad with Feta and Citrus Vinaigrette
- Red Cabbage Salad with Apples and Walnuts
- Best Greek Salad Recipe
- Strawberry Goat Cheese Salad
- Kale and Brussel Sprout Salad with Pomegranate and Pecans
- Healthy Tomato and Eggplant Salad
Roasted Pumpkin and Beet Salad Recipe
- 12 ounces fresh beets (peel the beetroot and cut into ½" chunks)
- 12 ounces fresh pumpkin (halved, seeded, skin removed, cut into ¾" chunks)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- ½ to 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro (coriander) (finely chopped)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl mix the beetroot, pumpkin, 2 tablespoons olive oil, ½ tablespoon curry powder, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Transfer to a baking sheet and spread vegetables out in a single layer. Roast vegetables for 35 to 40 minutes or until they are just tender but not overdone.
- Let the vegetables cool completely.
- Pour 1 tablespoon lime juice and the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over the top, then sprinkle with cilantro. Stir together.
- Taste test and adjust salt and pepper as needed. Add the remaining lime juice if tartness or acidity is needed. Add remaining curry for additional spice.
- Let sit 5 minutes then serve.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- VARIATIONS: add a tablespoon of finely chopped chives. If you like your dishes really spicy add crushed red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper. Serve with arugula or baby greens and double the dressing as needed. Add goat cheese or feta and toasted pine nuts.
- TOP TIPS: only roast the beetroot and pumpkin until just tender. If it is too soft, it will fall apart in the salad. If the salad is too acidic offset it with a teaspoon of sugar or sugar substitute.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: serve at room temperature, garnish with more cilantro if desired. This salad pairs well with grilled or roasted lamb, chicken, pork, and beef. It also makes a beautiful holiday side dish.
© 2022 Seeking Good Eats™