You'll love this 10-ingredient easy fruit salad recipe with its tangy sweet citrus honey poppyseed dressing. A light and healthy Summer fruit salad is the perfect side for breakfast, brunch, lunch, picnics, and potlucks. Enjoy!
This Simple Fruit Salad Recipe is so fresh!
Who doesn't love fresh juicy fruit? Well, combine that fruit with a lovely honey poppyseed dressing, and you've got something fabulous.
Why You'll love this recipe for Fruit Salad
What makes this fruit salad so special?
Best Flavor. It's got THE perfect combination of sweet and tangy fruits tossed with a honey citrus dressing paired with the nutty crunch of poppyseeds with toasted almonds.
So easy. Only 10 ingredients. That's it. 😉
It's healthy. This recipe uses only fresh sweet fruit and whole ingredients. The only sugar added is from the honey.
What You'll Need For Fresh Fruit Salad
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this simple recipe for fruit salad:
- Orange Juice: you can use bottled juice or squeeze your own.
- Honey: adds sweetness to balance the tartness of the fruits.
- Fresh Lime Juice
- Poppyseeds: add a nutty crunch
- Seedless Watermelon: definitely use seedless in this salad.
- Blueberries: use firm fresh berries, and don't forget to remove any stems.
- Kiwi: adds a fabulous tanginess to the salad.
- Toasted Almond Slivers: almonds can be omitted if you don't like them.
- Optional: sour cream; see variation suggestions below.
As long as the overall quantity of fruit is used, you can substitute any firmer berry, seedless green or red grapes, mango, canteloupe, other melons, and mandarin oranges.
- Add 1/2 to 1 cup sour cream to make it creamy.
- Almonds may be omitted.
- Lemon juice can be used in place of lime.
- Adding lemon zest or lime zest will give this salad a zesty boost.
- Time saver: use already cut up fruit from the grocery store then toss with this dressing.
- What is fruit salad dressing made of?
Fruit salad dressing is usually made of a combination of tangy and sweet ingredients such as fruit juice, honey, and a little lime or lemon juice. Some dressings are made creamy with sour cream or yogurt. The actual ingredients used will depend upon the recipe you are using, of course.
How to Make Fruit Salad
This fruit salad tastes amazing AND it's quite easy to make! Here's how:
1. In a small bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients.
2. Add fruit to a large bowl and pour dressing over the top.
3. Toss the salad gently and sprinkle with toasted slivered almonds.
How to Store This Fresh Fruit Salad Recipe
Fresh fruit has a limited shelf life and once combined with dressing it can break down quickly. Store leftover fruit salad in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. Fruit salad cannot be frozen.
Be sure to save this pin to Pinterest for later! 🙂
Summer Fruit Salad FAQs
For the best fruit combination, pair a sweeter variety with a tart or tangy variety, such as strawberries and bananas, or kiwi with sweet watermelon. Consider textures as well - crunchy or chewy with soft or larger with smaller such as small berries with halved firmer fruit such as blueberries and halved strawberries. Don't forget the visual aspect - use fruit of different colors to make it gorgeous!
Fruits that fall apart, mush, or break apart easily should not be added. It's always best to use the freshest ripe, firm fruit you can use. If you have to keep the salad longer than a few hours, be careful not to add bananas or other fruit that will turn color. It is best to add those at the last minute.
Certain fruits such as watermelon, cantaloupe, pineapple, and strawberries can all be prepared the night before.
Summer Fruit Salad
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup honey (plus more to taste)
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1 cup strawberries (cut in half)
- 1 cup pineapple (cubed)
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup watermelon (cubed)
- 1 cup kiwi (sliced)
- optional: make it creamy and add ½ cup sour cream
- optional: slivered and toasted almonds
- In a small bowl whisk together orange juice, honey, lime juice, and poppy seeds.
- Add all fruit to a large bowl. Toss gently with dressing.
- Adjust sweetness with honey and tartness with lime juice to taste. Transfer to a serving bowl. Garnish with toasted slivered almonds if desired.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- VARIATIONS: Make it a creamy fruit salad by adding half a cup of sour cream or Greek yogurt.
- TIPS: For best results use firm but ripe fruit. Adjust sweetness with honey and tartness with lime or orange juices.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Serve in a large bowl and sprinkle with almonds.
© 2023 Seeking Good Eats™
- Hawaiian Chicken Salad
- Strawberry Goat Cheese Salad
- Red Cabbage Salad with Apples and Walnuts
- Hawaiian Beef Stew (Slow Cooker)
- Strawberry Ice Cream Swirl
- Fresh Blueberry Mojito Recipe
- Broccoli Bacon Salad
- Cauliflower Broccoli Salad
- Filet Mignon on the Grill
- Best Way To Grill Salmon
- Pork Shoulder Roast Recipe
- Grilled Pork Steak Recipe