This broccoli salad recipe with bacon is bursting with healthy vegetables, a variety of textures, and sweet, tangy, salty flavors. All this tasty goodness is then tossed in creamy homemade Greek yogurt dressing! Bonus: it's easy to make this low carb and keto!
Easy Broccoli Salad
Highly requested. This is my favorite salad to take to parties - and one of the first to get devoured. You'll get asked for the recipe time and time again!
Bursting with Flavor! This broccoli salad recipe is loaded with many different flavors and textures. Broccoli, cranberries, celery, red onion, and toasted walnuts are smothered in a creamy dressing that is sweet, tangy, and salty. Each bite is so satisfying!
It's Healthy. You can easily make it low carb and keto by omitting the cranberries and using an allulose sweetener instead of the sugar. If you're looking to lower calories, omit the cheese, bacon, and use a lowfat Greek yogurt.
Broccoli Salad Ingredients
Here's what you'll need to make the best broccoli salad recipe:
- Plain Greek Yogurt: use mayonnaise instead of yogurt if preferred. You can also use keto yogurt to reduce sugar and make low-carb.
- (Optional) Mayonnaise: added for extra creaminess. Omit if desired.
- Sugar: use an allulose sugar substitute or your favorite sugar substitute to reduce carbohydrates.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: gives your salad a sweet, tangy flavor.
- Fresh Broccoli: break down your broccoli into florets so they are bite sized pieces and similar in size to the rest of the salad for the perfect bite.
- Bacon: cook and crumble your own or substitute for store-bought crumbled bacon. You can also substitute for canned, drained chickpeas if you would like.
- Red Onions
- Cranberries: you can use sweetened or unsweetened dried cranberries. You can also use other dried berries or fresh diced apples for a great crunch!
- Toasted Walnuts: walnuts give a really nice toasty crunch to the salad. You can also use other nut varieties in its place. Sunflower seeds, pine nuts, or pecans would also taste amazing.
- Salt and Pepper
- Optional: shredded sharp cheddar cheese. You can also use jack or mozzarella cheese. It can be cubed or shredded.
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
Substitutions and Variations
Substitute the yogurt with mayonnaise - all of it or a combination.
Use your favorite toasted nuts instead of walnuts--such as pecans, pistachios, or almonds, sunflower seeds for extra crunch and flavor!
Add other vegetables, such as shredded or sliced carrots, cauliflower, peas, or any of your favorites.
Replace dried cranberries with other dried fruits of your choice, or add a fresh diced apple for sweetness and crunch.
Make it vegetarian by substituting chickpeas for crumbled bacon.
Make it low carb and keto by removing the cranberries, substituting the sugar with a sugar substitute, and using a keto Greek yogurt in this recipe. All are easy adaptions to make this recipe delicious and low-carb!
How to Make Broccoli Salad with Bacon
Here are the step-by-step instructions for making the best broccoli salad with bacon:
1. Mix together the Greek yogurt, sugar, vinegar, and mayonnaise.
2. In a large bowl, add the remaining ingredients. Pour dressing over the top and toss to coat. Refrigerate until chilled.
Tip: adjust seasoning and creaminess after refrigerating. I often make this with all Greek yogurt, then add in a little mayonnaise depending upon the texture I'm looking for. Mayo adds creaminess and a little saltiness. From there, I adjust salt and pepper to taste.
For detailed instructions, please see the recipe card below!
How to Serve This Recipe for Broccoli Salad
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Garnish with additional shredded cheddar cheese and top with extra crumbled bacon.
Sprinkle some freshly chopped green onion over the top.
Serve as a side dish at home with your next barbeque, or bring it to a party for all to share!
Be sure to save this pin to Pinterest for later! 🙂
How To Store Cold Broccoli Salad
Store any leftovers you may have in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Due to the fresh ingredients used in this recipe, it often leaves the salad watery after a couple of days in the fridge, so it is best to eat it sooner if possible.
Broccoli Bacon Salad FAQs
There are lots of fresh vegetables in this recipe. When fresh vegetables mix with the sauce, it causes the veggies to leak extra water. It is best to enjoy this salad fresh or within a couple of days.
The best way to keep your broccoli fresh is to wash it when you bring it home from the store and make sure it is dry before storing in a loose bag in the fridge. Broccoli doesn't like to be suffocated, so loose containers are best.
Absolutely! I prepare the salad with fresh broccoli florets, which have great nutrients, crunch, and flavor. I would not recommend cooking the broccoli in this recipe.
Cold Broccoli Salad with Bacon
Broccoli Salad Dressing
- ¾ cup Greek yogurt (mayonnaise may be substituted)
- ¼ cup (optional) mayonnaise (add for an extra boost of creaminess)
- 3 tablespoons sugar (or ¼ cup allulose sugar substitute)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 6 cups fresh broccoli florets (approximately 2 heads of broccoli)
- 8 ounces cooked and crumbled bacon (drained) (15 ounces of drained chickpeas may be substituted)
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- ½ cup dried cranberries (dried cherries or fresh diced apple also work well.)
- ½ cup toasted walnuts
- ½ cup (optional) shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl mix together the Greek yogurt, sugar, vinegar, and mayonnaise (if using).
- In a large bowl, add the remaining ingredients. Pour dressing over the top and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Chill in the fridge for 1 to 2 hours. Serve.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- VARIATIONS: Use mayonnaise in place of Greek yogurt (adjust sugar if needed). Add in grated cheddar cheese and cooked and crumbled bacon. Raisins or dried cherries can be substituted for the cranberries. Use allulose and make this sugar free.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- LOW CARB and KETO: omit cranberries and use allulose sweetener. Use a keto-friendly mayonnaise. Adjust sweetness to taste.
© 2024 Seeking Good Eats™