This steakhouse creamed spinach keto recipe is creamy and cheesy and oh-so-delicious with caramelized onions, garlic, and fresh baby spinach. Made in one-pan this easy healthy side dish is gluten free, sugar free, low carb, and keto.
You'll ❤️ This Keto Creamed Spinach Recipe
"Inspired by the delicious creamed spinach I ate on a recent visit to my favorite steakhouse - this version is total comfort food and I made it healthier - low carb, gluten free, and keto - so everyone can enjoy it!"
This ain't the boring 'ole creamed spinach you might have grown up with - this is full-on flavor with caramelized onions, garlic, and fresh baby spinach. It's creamy it's cheesy - and I threw in a little wine.
A very simple one-pan vegetable side dish recipe. No need to thaw, steam, or drain frozen spinach. Use fresh spinach it is much easier!
Yep - it's keto creamed spinach! I eliminated the flour from this recipe which is normally used to thicken the sauce - making it gluten-free, low carb, and keto!
There are approximately 7 servings (1/4 cup each) with 7 grams of carbs, 2 grams fiber, and 5 net carbs - with 17 grams of fat.
🥘 What You Will Need
Here are the ingredients and tools you will need to make steakhouse creamed spinach recipe:
- Spinach - Use fresh. Many recipes are calling for frozen, but it is not needed. Using fresh will cut out a couple of steps too! I buy the 16-ounce package of organic baby spinach so it makes it quite simple.
- Onion - I used a sweet onion but you could use yellow.
- Garlic - to make it easy use the minced "jar-lic"
- Half-and-Half - I tried making this recipe with heavy cream but it is too rich. If you prefer to use it, use a little less and offset with about 25% water.
- Salt - I used kosher salt
- Gound Black Pepper
- Nutmeg - use already grated nutmeg or grate your own.
- Cream Cheese - make sure it is very soft.
- Parmesan Cheese - buy pre-grated or grate your own.
- Mozzarella - freshly grated mozzarella melts a little better
- White Wine - if you don't want to use wine you can use a tablespoon of lemon juice. It is important to add a little acidity to break of the richness of the recipe.
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
Equipment and tools needed to make this keto creamed spinach recipe:
- 12" Skillet
- Cutting Board
- Chef Knife
- Measuring Cups
- Measure Spoons
🔪 How To Make
Here are the step-by-step instructions for making steakhouse creamed spinach:
Saute Onions and Garlic
In a large skillet over medium heat melt butter. Add onion then saute until very soft.
Add garlic and saute for 1 minute.
Make and Reduce Sauce
Add half-and-half, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Bring to a simmer, adjusting heat if needed. Simmer until liquid is reduced by half.
Add spinach a little at a time and cook, stirring continuously until wilted.
Reduce heat to medium-low. Add cream cheese and incorporate it into the sauce until melted.
Add mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Stir until combined and melted.
Adjust seasoning if needed.
Hint: If you reduced the sauce too much (I've done it before) pour in a little extra half-and-half backuntil it is the right constancy.
🥗 How To Serve
Here are a few ways to serve keto creamed spinach:
This makes a great side to steaks - OR as a topping for steaks, chicken, and pork.
It is creamy, so I like to serve it in small bowls. A little goes a long way as it is quite rich.
There are several ways you can change up your steakhouse creamed spinach, my two favorite ways are adding mushrooms and spice.
- Mushrooms - saute mushrooms with the onions. Mushrooms will release moisture making this dish slightly more liquid. Be sure to increase the time needed to reduce the sauce.
- Give it some spice and use a dash or two of hot sauce or red pepper flakes.
💭 Top Tips
- Be careful not to scorch the half and half, reduce the sauce to a gentle simmer adjusting the heat if necessary.
- One pound of spinach may seem like a lot but it cooks down. Add a little bit at a time, let it wilt, then repeat the process - stirring as you go.
- If you've got large spinach leaves be sure to rough chop them - or just in half is fine.
How To Store
To store leftovers, let the spinach completely, then transfer to an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. See reheating and freezing instructions below.
How To Reheat
Reheat slowly in a microwave-safe dish for 1 to 2 minutes on 50% power. Stir and continue heating as needed.
Due to the large amount of dairy in this recipe, I do not recommend freezing as the dairy will separate. The spinach will also become watery once frozen and will dilute the taste of the finished dish.
The answer to this varies depending upon the recipe, but this cream of spinach is made of onions, garlic, spinach, half-and-half, butter, salt and pepper, nutmeg, cream cheese, parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, and white wine.
Yes, spinach can be eaten on a keto diet. 1 serving (1 cup) of fresh spinach contains only 2 grams of carbohydrates with 1 gram of fiber - resulting in only 1 gram of net carbs.
Keto creamed spinach contains only 5 grams of net carbs (7 grams total carbs less 2 grams of fiber) per serving. Carbs can be reduced even further by using lemon juice instead of white wine.
✔️ More Keto Vegetable Side Dishes
If you are looking for more delicious vegetable side dishes, check these out:
- Crockpot Green Beans and Ham
- Cauliflower Cheese (Keto Cauliflower Mac and Cheese)
- Italian Roasted Cabbage Slices (Keto Cabbage)
- Bacon-Wrapped Asparagus (Air Fryer)
- Baked Zucchini Casserole With Cheese
⭐ Let's Connect
Steakhouse Keto Creamed Spinach
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup sweet onion (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon garlic (minced)
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 16 ounces fresh baby spinach
- ½ cup mozzarella (grated)
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- In a large skillet over medium heat melt butter. Add onion then saute until very soft.
- Add garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Add half-and-half, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Bring to a simmer, adjusting heat if needed. Simmer until liquid is reduced by half.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add cream cheese and incorporate into the sauce until melted.
- Add spinach a little at a time and cook, stirring continuously until wilted.
- Add mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Stir until combined and melted.
- Adjust seasoning if needed.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- VARIATIONS: Add a little kick with a dash of hot sauce.
- TOP TIPS: 1 pound of spinach may seem like a lot but it cooks down. Add a little bit at a time, let it wilt, then add more to the pan - stirring as you go.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Pair with beef, chicken, or pork.
© 2023 Seeking Good Eats™