This easy Mexican coleslaw recipe makes the best creamy, crunchy, and delicious side for any of your favorite Mexican favorites! It is loaded with fresh cabbage, radishes, jalapeño, and cilantro and smothered in a tangy creamy homemade dressing. Bonus: it's low carb, gluten free, and keto friendly! Let's make it!
You will love this Mexican Coleslaw
The Best Textures! This Mexican slaw is crunchy from the fresh shredded cabbage, diced radishes, and crisp green onions--creamy from the dressing made with sour cream, mayo, cumin, and lime juice. Super flavorful and delicious served on tacos, enchiladas, or on salad.
Make it in 10 minutes. A quick slaw like this is made with simple ingredients. You'll start by making your coleslaw dressing, then adding to your coleslaw and combine together and enjoy! You can eat it right away but it's best if you can refrigerate for an hour or two to allow the flavors to blend.
Healthy. This coleslaw is low-calorie, low-carb, gluten-free, and vegetarian! Make simple swaps like using low sugar-keto plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream to increase your protein and lower fat content.
Mexican Cole Slaw Ingredients
Here's what you'll need to make this Mexican coleslaw:
- Sour Cream: you can use light or regular--additionally, you can substitute plain Greek yogurt in its place if preferred.
- Mayonnaise: regular, light, or alternative oil-based varieties all work well.
- Cumin: add more or less based on taste preference.
- Lime: one whole freshly squeezed lime juice is used in this recipe.
- Kosher Salt
- Ground Black Pepper
- Shredded Cabbage: you can use all green or use a variety of green and purple cabbage.
- Radishes: you can shred these as well if you prefer; otherwise, diced works well also.
- Green Onion: fresh chopped green onion or chives add a nice crunch and bright flavor.
- Jalapeño: make sure to take the seeds out and then chop them.
- Chopped Fresh Cilantro: a classic Mexican herb that goes very well in this slaw.
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
Be sure to save this pin the Pinterest for later! 😉
Substitutions and Variations
- Add pepitas, sunflower seeds, or chopped walnuts.
- Add in diced celery, fresh sweet corn, or frozen corn thawed.
- Increase the sweetness by adding sugar or your favorite sugar substitute.
- Make it spicer by leaving the jalapeno seeds in the slaw, using hotter peppers, or adding cayenne pepper.
- To make it less spicy, omit the jalapeno and use a milder Anaheim or poblano pepper.
- Use green, purple, or red cabbage to make your coleslaw more colorful.
- Add diced bell peppers to add a slightly sweet crunch.
- Swap green onions for thinly sliced red onion, or add the best pickled red onions.
- Add a splash of apple cider vinegar to your slaw to add a sweet zing.
How to Make Mexican Coleslaw
Here are the step-by-step instructions for making this delicious creamy coleslaw recipe:
1. In a small bowl, mix together all dressing ingredients.
2. In a large bowl, add cabbage, radishes, green onions, jalapeno, and cilantro.
3. Pour dressing over the coleslaw and toss together. Refrigerate for 1 to 2. hours to allow the flavors to blend. Adjust seasonings to taste.
How to Serve Mexican Slaw
Adjust salt, pepper, and lime juice to taste.
Use it as a topping for pulled pork or chicken sandwiches.
Pairs well with chicken, steak, or pork for a quick low-carb dinner.
How to Store Mexican Cabbage Slaw
Store your slow once it is prepared in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Your slaw may get more watery after sitting due to the cabbage and fresh ingredients releasing water. I find the slaw is best if consumed in the first 48 hours.
Mexican Coleslaw Recipe FAQs
You can do either one; however, I find that grating the cabbage gives thinner, more precise cuts than I can do with a knife. You can also use a mandolin if you have one that will cut your cabbage thinly and even.
Cabbage and other fresh ingredients tend to release a decent amount of moisture after it has been cut and seasoning is added to it. It is best to consume your coleslaw within a couple of days for the best flavor and consistency.
Coleslaw is actually another name for a "cabbage salad." Coleslaw is made up of cabbage and typically has a dressing this either mayo-based or vinegar-based.
Mexican Cabbage Slaw
- ½ cup sour cream (or Greek yogurt)
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 lime, juiced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 16 ounces shredded cabbage
- ½ cup diced radishes
- 2 green onions (chopped)
- 1 medium jalapeno (chopped, seeds removed)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- In a small bowl mix together all coleslaw dressing ingredients.
- In a large bowl add cabbage, radishes, green onions, jalapeno, and cilantro.
- Pour dressing over the coleslaw and toss together. Serve or refrigerate for later. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- VARIATIONS: Optional add-ins are pepitas, diced celery, or frozen thawed sweet corn; increase the sweetness of the dressing by adding sugar or sugar substitute; make it spicy by adding cayenne pepper, using the sees of the jalapeno, or use a hotter pepper than jalapeno; to make it milder omit the jalapeno or use a small anaheim or poblano pepper.
- TIPS: If you like your coleslaw crunchy, add dressing to taste and serve immediately. If you like it softer and creamier, add dressing and refrigerate for an hour or so until the cabbage softens.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Adjust salt, pepper, and lime juice taste.
© 2023 Seeking Good Eats™