Air Fryer Turkey Burgers are tender and juicy - and LOADED with flavor. Super easy to cook in your air fryer too. The perfect healthy weeknight dinner! The turkey burger patties are gluten free, sugar free, dairy free, paleo, low carb, and keto.
🎥 Watch Video
❤️ Why You'll Love This
"Delicious healthy turkey burgers in the air fryer! These babies are SO JUICY. I love to make the patties a few days ahead of time then they're ready to cook when I am. " -Kori
Juicy and Flavorful
The oil and vegetables help to make these burgers juicy. The addition of some bold spices such as chili powder, cumin, and oregano give these burgers some fantastic flavor.
Turkey burgers in the air fryer are pretty healthy. The patties are gluten-free, paleo, sugar-free, low carb, dairy-free, and keto.
- There is a slightly higher content of protein to fat in this recipe. Increase the healthy fat through your toppings. Some suggestions: keto mayonnaise, cheese slices, and avocado slices.
- Make this low fat but using half the olive oil and use a lower fat content ground turkey.
- No added sugar or dairy are added to these burgers.
- There is less than 1 gram of sugar in these patties, so they are considered sugar free.
20.7 g fat | 1.7 g net carbs | 24.3 g protein
How To Serve
Here are a few ideas of how you can serve your air fryer turkey burger:
- Toppings. Use any favorite burger topping. I chose to make these with mayonnaise, cheddar cheese, lettuce, and tomato. For my family I served on a bun and for me I wrapped it in lettuce.
- Are you a mixed diet family? I am following a low carb and keto diet but my family is not. I serve their burgers with buns and mine wrapped in lettuce. I add more healthy fat with cheese slices, but sliced avocado would also be delicious.
- Paleo followers will want to serve wrapped in lettuce or even on a cooked portobello mushroom.
- Gluten free, Low Carb, and keto followers should use a gluten free, low carb and keto friendly bun or serve on a chaffle. You could also wrap in lettuce, serve on its own, or over a cooked portobello mushroom.
- Serve with a simple side salad andh a favorite salad dressing. One of my favorite make ahead salads is Layered Overnight Salad. It will last for several days - so several meals.
- If you are looking for a couple of air fryer side dishes to go with it try Air Fried Green Tomatoes, cheese curds, or Air fryer cabbage.
- Got spicy lovers? Use a chipotle mayo or spicier variety mayo. Use pepper jack cheese, and even sliced jalapenos.
Here are the ingredients you'll need to make turkey burgers in air fryer:
See the recipe card for quantities.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Onion - I used a diced yellow onion, but you could also use a red or a sweeter onion.
- Bell Pepper - use any color of bell pepper that you like or what you have on hand.
- Ground Turkey - (85/15) to make this recipe lower in fat you can use a lower fat content ground turkey.
- Chili Powder
- Kosher Salt or sea salt -
Equipment and tools needed to make this recipe:
- Air Fryer - I've been using a Ninja Foodi for air frying, slow cooking, and pressure cooking so I could pair down to one appliance! 🙂
- Instant Read Thermometer
- Cutting Board
- Chef Knife
- 8" Skillet
- Measuring Spoons
- Mixing Spoon
- Medium-Sized Mixing Bowl
- Parchment Paper
Here are a few ways you can vary or make substitutions to this recipe:
- To make this a low carb or keto turkey burger use a low carb or keto friendly bun or other alternative.
- Substitute chicken for the turkey and make an air fryer chicken burger instead.
- Use any color of bell pepper that you want. As long as you use a similar quantity you could use spicier peppers too, or a combination.
- Use red or yellow onions.
- To make this a more lowfat burger, use a lower fat ground turkey instead of the 85/15 called for in this recipe.
- For more spice, top with sliced jalapeno and pepper jack cheese.
Here's how to make air fryer turkey burgers:
For complete instructions, please see the printable recipe card below.
Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to a small skillet, then saute onions and bell pepper over medium heat until soft.
Remove from pan and allow to cool slightly.
Make Burger Mixture
Add ground turkey, onion and pepper mixture, egg, remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Stir until mixed.
Form 4 turkey burger patties about 1/2" thick and place on parchment or wax paper on a plate. (Note that the burger mixture will be very soft.)
Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour to chill (or freeze 15 to 20 minutes).
Preheat the air fryer at 375 degrees F for 5 minutes.
Place burgers in the air fryer basket and cook for 6 minutes.
Turn them over and continue cooking until done, about 4 to 5 more minutes until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
Serve on a bun (or no bun) with your favorite burger toppings. Enjoy!
- Make sure to refrigerate the patties for 1 hour before adding to the air fryer basket. The buger mixture is very soft but will firm up in the refrigerator. Do not skip this step.
- The burgers are done when they reach 165 degrees F in their center.
- On the note, because you have to refrigerate these burgers, they make a great meal prep option. Make the patties up to 3 days in advance and store in the refrigerator until you are ready to air fry!
- Each air fryer is different, the first time you make these watch them carefully. The time and temperature required may take some adjusting.
Can you make ahead of time?
Yes, absolutely. You can prepare the patties ahead of time then store them in an airtight container in your refrigerator until ready to air fry. Or, you can cook the patties and reheat them up to 3 days later.
Tip: if you store the raw patties, keep the patties on the parchment paper for easy removal.
Can you air fry turkey burgers?
Yes, absolutely you can air fry turkey burgers. They are easy to cook in an air fryer, and with this recipe, they turn out nice and juicy.
What temperature to air fry turkey burgers?
Turkey burgers should be cooked at a temperature from 360 to 375 degrees. This turkey burger recipe cooks them at 375 degrees, and they take only 10 to 12 minutes until they are done.
How long to air fry turkey burgers?
Turkey burgers are done when they reach 165 degrees in the center. If the burgers are air fried at 375 degrees, this should take approximately 10 to 12 minutes of cook time.
What temperature should ground turkey be cooked to?
Ground turkey should be cooked to 165 degrees F and checked with a food thermometer according to the USDA.
How long will turkey burgers keep?
Turkey burgers will keep up to 3 days if stored in an airtight container in your refrigerator.
How do I store the burgers?
Store the burgers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Can you freeze turkey burgers?
You can freeze these burgers by placing the raw patties with the parchment paper in a freezer-proof airtight container for up to 3 months.
You can also freeze cooked patties in the same manner.
How can I lower the fat in these burgers?
Use a lower fat ground turkey. Reduce the olive oil used to saute the vegetables and cook the vegetables in a nonstick skillet.
Are turkey burgers keto?
These turkey burgers are keto, yes. Make sure to serve them on a low carb and keto-friendly bun, on their own, wrapped in lettuce, or on a chaffle.
More Burger Recipes
Here are a few more burgers recipes I think you'll love! Bonus! All are gluten free, low carb, and keto if you serve wrapped in lettuce, on a chaffle, or a low carb bun. 🙂
- Peanut Butter Burger with Bacon
- Cheese Curd Bacon Burger Recipe
- Buffalo Chicken Burgers
- The Best Greek Burger (Gyro Burger)
- Southwest Turkey Burgers On The Grill
More Air Fryer Recipes
If you are looking for more delicious air fryer recipes, check these out:
- Air Fryer Chicken Tenders (low carb keto)
- Parmesan Crusted Air Fryer Tilapia
- Garlic Parmesan Wings Air Fryer Recipe
⭐ Let's Connect
If you tried these Air Fryer Turkey Burgers, let me know! I'd love for you to come back and give the recipe a star rating and/or a review in the comments! 🙂 Let's stay connected, so please share photos of your creations with me and others on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!