Traditional Hungarian Paprika Chicken (Low Carb and Keto), is a simple to make recipe with melt-in-your-mouth chicken that is slow simmered in it’s own special flavorful sauce made with onion, sour cream, and paprika. Drool-worthy for sure. This healthy chicken recipe makes a wonderful cozy one-pan dinner that everyone in your house will love!
What is Hungarian Paprika Chicken?
Hungarian Chicken Paprikás (also called chicken paprikash or paprika chicken) is a very traditional meal served in Hungary. Paprika is a very common spice used in Hungarian cuisine and this dish is one of the most famous uses of the spice.
While visiting Budapest, Hungary recently my husband and I had the pleasure of taking a cooking class and learned how to make this fabulous dish! You are going to LOVE It! It’s always fun to try something new, right?
Details of our class with Easy Cooking Budapest, here! 🙂 If you travel to Budapest, I highly recommend it!
How to Make Hungarian Paprika Recipe
This is a very simple dish to prepare and it tastes amazing!
Simply sauté your onions, then add salt, pepper, and paprika.
Place chicken in pan and pour water over the top cover about 2/3 of the chicken.
Cover and boil for 1 hour.
Wisk zantham gum or flour into sour cream and pour into the pan, and wisk into sauce. Continue to cook until sauce thickens into a gravy-like constistency.
Other Popular Recipes You Will Love:
- Easy Slow Cooker Pork Roast
- Slow Cooker Low Carb Beef Stroganoff
- Juicy Slow Cooker Tuscan Turkey Breast
- Quick Stuffed Zucchini Taco Boats
- Copy Cat Taco Seasoning Mix
Cooked chicken, onions, and paprika. Nothing could be more Hungarian! This dish is typically served with nokedli (similar to spaetzle). This low carb version of the recipe is served over riced cauliflower or mashed cauliflower. The directions for making nokedli are included just in case!
- 2 large onions, diced
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 5 tsp of paprika
- 6 chicken legs (or, 6 chicken thighs and 6 drumsticks)
- 12 oz sour cream
- 1/4 tsp zantham gum (or 1 tbsp of flour if not following a keto or low carb diet)
- Over medium-high heat, saute onions in a large pan until they are translucent
- Add salt, pepper, and paprika, water, and then chicken into pan.
- Pour water over the top just to cover the chicken approximately 2/3
- Cover the pan and simmer for 1 hour, turning chicken over after 30 minutes.
- Wisk the zantham gum in with the sour cream and pour over the top of the sauce. Wisk into pan and cook until sauce thickens to a gravy-like consistency.
- Serve the paprikás over riced cauliflower or mashed cauliflower. If not following a low carb or keto diet serve over mashed potatoes or nokeli (see below).
Use 6 chicken legs as a substitution to 6 legs and 6 thighs
How to make nokedli:
9 tbsp flour
1/4 cup water
1 tsp salt
Mix the ingredients until you get a hard dough. ‘Tear’ the nokeli/dough into boiling water. Water will stop boiling at that point, allow to cook until water starts to boil again and then using slotted spoon remove nokedli. Repeat process.
I Would Love To Hear From You!
- Tell me how your healthy eating plan going? How do you juggle your diet plan with your lifestyle and family needs?
- Let me know how you like these recipes. Maybe you made the recipe but a different variation? I would love to hear about it!
- Get your recipe featured on this site! Feel free to send any of your favorite healthy recipes and I’ll select a few from our readers to add to the site – and you’ll get all the credit! Please only send recipes of your own creation!
Email us at email@example.com
Sign Up For Our Newsletter So You Don’t Miss Any Recipes
We’d love for you to sign up for our newsletter so you can get all the tasty goodness straight into your inbox. xoxo