Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff is a quick and easy dinner idea to throw together! With fall-apart tender beef and a delicious rich creamy gravy - your family will LOVE it. Bonus: you can easily make this a low carb and keto beef stroganoff!
- Watch how to make Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
- You will love Crockpot Beef Stroganoff
- Beef Stroganoff Crock Pot ingredients
- How To Make Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff
- How Long To Cook Beef Stroganoff in a Slow Cooker?
- How to serve this Beef Stroganoff Crockpot Recipe
- How to Store Crockpot Beef Stroganoff
- Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff variations
- Beef Stroganoff Crockpot top tips
- Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff FAQs
- Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
- More Slow Cooker Beef Recipes
Watch how to make Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
You will love Crockpot Beef Stroganoff
This crock pot beef stroganoff recipe is the perfect dinner idea! All ingredients (except the dairy) are dumped into the crockpot and cooked all day. Come back later and add the dairy ingredients. Very little effort - but it tastes AMAZING.
Since slow cooker beef stroganoff is so easy to make - and tastes so good - it’s also perfect for perfect for serving a crowd. You can easily double or triple the recipe so you’ll have enough to serve everyone.
What makes this slow cooker beef stroganoff recipe so tasty? The creamy gravy. It's addicting, for sure. There is no denying that this crockpot beef stroganoff is scrumptious. The sauce if my favorite part! 😉
Because I am the only one on a ketogenic diet in my house, it's great to have a recipe that everyone will enjoy. I serve mine with packed frozen riced cauliflower and, for the rest of the family, cooked egg noodles.
This slow cooker beef stroganoff has been one of my most requested recipes throughout the years. The family gets so excited when I make it!
Keto Beef Stroganoff
This low carb and keto beef stroganoff recipe is truly delicious, and the fact that it can be thrown together and enjoyed with minimal fuss makes it even better. Use canned soup or make your own.
If more healthy fat is needed add some olive oil.
With 26.2g of fat and 7g of net carbs, this recipe fits well into a low carb and keto diet.
fat 26.2g | net carbs 7g | protein 39.4g
Beef Stroganoff Crock Pot ingredients
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this crockpot beef stroganoff recipe:
- Beef Stew Meat - buying already cubed beef, will save you some time. If you can't find it, buy a chuck roast, bottom round, eye of round, or rump roast and cut it into bite-sized pieces.
- Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup - make this homemade version or use a store-bought variety. Substitute any condensed soup like onion or golden mushroom, etc.
- Dried Onion Soup Mix - french onion soup mix could also be used. Adjust salt pepper if needed.
- Fresh Mushrooms - use fresh sliced mushrooms or canned mushrooms that have been drained.
- Sour Cream - keto followers should use full fat, but fat free can also be used if you want to lower the fat.
- Cream Cheese - it is very important that it is very soft. Full-fat, reduced-fat, or fat-free can be used.
- Salt and Black Pepper
- Optional - fresh parsley or thyme.
- Xanthan Gum or Cornstarch- an optional thickener. Xanthan gum is the low carb alternative thickener. Corn starch can also be used if not following keto.
How To Make Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff
This slow cooker beef stroganoff recipe is super easy to make. Here are the step-by-step instructions for making it:
1. Prep and Assemble
Spray the slow cooker with nonstick spray.
Prepare all the ingredients.
2. Add Ingredients To Crock Pot
Add the beef, cream of mushroom soup, dried onion soup mix, and fresh mushrooms to the slow cooker.
Stir until combined.
3. Slow Cook
Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or high for 4 to 6 hours.
4. Add Dairy Ingredients
About 30 minutes before serving, add cream cheese that has been brought to room temperature and cut into cubes. Allow it to melt, stirring occasionally.
Add sour cream, then salt and pepper to taste.
Tip: if stroganoff is too runny, keep the lid off after adding the dairy ingredients to allow moisture to evaporate. You can also whisk in ½ tsp of xanthan gum or 1 tablespoon of cornstarch into to the sauce and allow it to thicken as well.
How Long To Cook Beef Stroganoff in a Slow Cooker?
Cook beef stroganoff in your slow cooker until the meat is very tender using the following guideline:
- Low: 6 to 8 hours
- High: 4 to 6 hours
How to serve this Beef Stroganoff Crockpot Recipe
Here's how to serve your slow cooker beef stroganoff:
Sprinkle with fresh parsley or thyme. That's it! Super simple.
Meal idea! serve this crock pot beef stroganoff with steamed or air fried broccoli.
How to Store Crockpot Beef Stroganoff
Store leftover beef stroganoff in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff variations
Here are a few ways you can customize this crock pot beef stroganoff:
- Make this recipe spicy by adding chili pepper flakes or a little hot sauce.
- Add fresh herbs such as parsley or thyme.
- Add onion and garlic. Chop and add with the beef.
- Season with a little garlic powder or even paprika.
- Use cube steaks as a substitute for the stew meat. Reduce slow cooker time slightly. Do not cut the cube steaks.
- Add a little Worcestershire sauce and dijon mustard to give it some tang.
- Make chicken stroganoff by substituting boneless chicken breasts or thighs and using cream of chicken soup. Reduce the cooking time.
- Use canned, drained mushrooms instead of fresh.
- For even more flavor, sear the beef cubes in a skillet before adding to the slow cooker beef stroganoff. It's delicious, but it is time-consuming and not necessary.
Beef Stroganoff Crockpot top tips
- Cut cream cheese into cubes and let it, and the sour cream, come to room temperature before adding to the slow cooker.
- You can substitute different kinds of cream soups to change the taste. The BEST tasting and lowest in carbs is to make your own keto condensed mushroom soup. It's not difficult, you can make a bunch at a time and save some for future in the freezer!
- If the stroganoff is too runny, keep the lid off the slow cooker after adding cheese and sour cream to allow moisture to evaporate. You can also dissolve ½ tsp of xanthan gum in 1 tsp olive oil as a low carb thickener. Add mixture to the crockpot juices and mix. Allow to sit until thickened.
Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff FAQs
If you tried this slow cooker beef stroganoff recipe, let me know! I'd love for you to come back and give it a 5-star rating and/or a review in the comments! 🙂 Let's stay connected, so please share photos of your creations with me and others on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest! Don't forget to tag #seekinggoodeats
Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
- 2½ pounds beef stew meat
- 10.5 ounces condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 recipe or packet onion soup mix (our homemade recipe is easy!)
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced (or, 8 oz canned mushrooms, drained)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- salt and black pepper to taste
- optional garnish: fresh parsley or thyme
- optional thickener: ½ teaspoon or 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Spray crockpot with nonstick spray. Add beef stew meat, cream of mushroom soup, onion soup mix, and sliced mushrooms. Stir until combined.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- About 30 minutes before serving, add very soft cream cheese and stir to melt until incorporated. Add sour cream and stir. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over riced cauliflower (keto and low carb option), egg noodles, or rice. Sprinkle with parsley or thyme.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- TO THICKEN THE SAUCE before serving: Xanthan Gum (low carb option): dissolve 1/2 tsp xanthan gum with 1 tsp olive oil then add to sauce at the end. Stir in and allow to thicken before serving. Cornstarch: 1 tablespoon of cornstarch dissolved in a ladle full of the stroganoff sauce. Leave the lid off of the crock pot and continue to cook on low until the sauce thickens.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Serve over rice or egg noodles, with a fresh side salad or steamed broccoli or beans. Low carb keto followers serve over riced cauliflower or zoodles.
© 2023 Seeking Good Eats™
You can lower the fat in this recipe by substituting fat-free or low-fat dairy and cream of mushroom soup.
Keep in mind that using lower fat ingredients may cause your keto beef stroganoff to be runnier.
Beef stew meat or a beef chuck roast is my favorite cut of beef for slow cooker beef stroganoff. Bottom round, eye round, rump roast, and top round are also good choices.
Your slow cooker beef stroganoff is done when the meat is tender and breaks apart easily with a fork.
A package of onion soup mix only has 4 g of carbs with less than 1 g of net carbs. A serving size in one package is 8. That is only 0.5g of carbs per serving.
This keto beef stroganoff recipe serves 10, of the total carbs in this recipe coming from the onion soup mix are only 0.4g. I consider that a low-carb onion soup mix!
Yes, you have two options. One, you can add everything to the crockpot, except the dairy (which is added after cooking), cover it, then store it in the fridge for up to 3 days. Or, you can cook it all, store it in the fridge and reheat it when you want to serve it.
To make Instant Pot beef stroganoff: add 1 cup beef broth to the bottom of the pot, then add the beef, the dried onion soup mix, and mushrooms, then top with the canned soup. Pressure cook for 10 to 15 minutes, and then use the quick release once it's finished. Add the dairy ingredients. Stir until it is melted. If it is too runny, thicken with a little cornstarch or xanthan gum. See recipe card notes.
Another option, if you have the time at the start, you can season the meat with a little salt and pepper at the beginning and brown the meat before layering in the other ingredients. It adds great flavor, but if you're in a hurry I'd skip that step.
More Slow Cooker Beef Recipes
Here are a few more low carb and keto crock pot meals using beef:
- Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes
- Texas Style No Bean Chili Recipe Slow Cooker
- Best Crockpot Corned Beef
- Crock Pot Cube Steak - couldn't be any easier in your slow cooker!
- Crockpot Birria De Res - the best slow cooker beef stew!
Not a slow cooker recipe but could be adapted:
Keto beef stroganoff slow cooker recipe is the easiest and most delicious low carb recipe you can make! Loaded with beef, mushrooms, and a rich creamy gravy that is drool-worthy. A quick and easy recipe for weeknight dinners that you'll love. This slow cooker beef stroganoff is a true dump and go crockpot recipe!