Low Carb Chicken in Tomato Basil Cream Sauce is a delicious creamy sauce with chicken, sun-dried tomatoes, heavy cream, feta cheese, garlic, fresh basil, and parsley.
This recipe is perfect if you follow a keto or low-carb diet and are looking for a delicious family meal or a special occasion dinner. Everyone will be happy in your home with this chicken recipe. Yum!
🎥 Recipe Video
❤️ Tomato Basil Cream Sauce
"My husband and I call this Date Night pasta. It's the first meal I cooked for him and apparently I hooked him with it. When serving for my family I make pasta for them and a quick side of zoodles for me. Enjoy!" 🙂 -Kori
My whole family loves this recipe, and I've been making it for YEARS. The tomato basil cream sauce is amazing - it gets even better when the chicken is added.
I love that everything can get tossed into one pan and it's pretty flexible so I can use chicken breast, thighs, seafood, or shrimp.
So Much Flavor
It's quite amazing how much flavor is in this recipe considering there are minimal ingredients! 🙂
I think you'll love that this recipe is low carb, keto, and gluten-free! So, on top of being easy, it's also quite healthy. Yay!
This recipe works well for the keto diet because of the chicken thighs, heavy cream, feta, and olive oil.
While the full nutritional value is provided at the end of the recipe card, here are the most important if you're following a low carb keto diet:
19.9 g fat | 2.9 g net carbs | 26 g protein
How To Serve
Need easy serving suggestions? Here are some ways that you can serve Low Carb Chicken in Tomato Basil Cream Sauce:
- While definitely amazing served over pasta, those watching their carbs will be loving this dish served over zucchini noodles, hearts of palm "noodles", or riced cauliflower.
- Since this is a recipe that I usually make during the weekdays, I try to keep side dishes super simple - usually frozen the microwaved vegetables or fresh steamed.
- A simple side salad with a favorite dressing makes a side dish. Try our homemade Thousand Island Dressing or Blue Cheese Dressing.
Ingredients and Tools
Here's what you'll need to make chicken with tomato basil cream sauce:
- Olive oil
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs - chicken breasts can also be used.
- Green Onion
- Chicken Broth
- Heavy Cream - you can substitute half and half, but you may need to reduce the sauce longer in order to thicken properly, or you can use a thickening agent.
- White Wine - if you don't want to use the wine, you can sub more chicken broth.
- Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- Tomato Paste
- Fresh Basil - for best flavor, use fresh in the recipe.
- Feta Cheese
- Fresh Parsley - use fresh parsley in this recipe. I don't recommend using dried.
- Salt and Pepper
- Serve over: pasta (not low carb), zucchini noodles, hearts of palm noodles, or riced cauliflower.
- 12" Skillet - for making chicken and sauce. You'll also need an additional skillet or saucepan for cooking pasta or zoodles.
- Cutting Board
- Chef Knife
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring spoons
- Cheese Grater
There are several ways you can vary or make substitutions to this recipe:
- Adjust any of the seasonings to your liking; this is a pretty flexible recipe.
- Play around with different herbs. Fresh parsley, a little thyme, etc., would all be wonderful.
- Substitute chicken breast instead of chicken thighs. You can even use seafood or shrimp.
- Toss in some sauteed fresh vegetables like mushrooms, diced zucchini, or summer squash would all be good. You may have to adjust your sauce at the end as certain vegetables will add more liquid.
Step by Step Instructions
Here's how to make this chicken with basil cream sauce:
Add olive oil to skillet and preheat over medium-high. Add chicken and saute for 6 - 7 minutes until cooked through.
Remove chicken from pan and keep warm by covering with foil.
Using the same pan, add another tablespoon of olive oil, diced green onion and garlic. Saute for 2 minutes.
In same pan add chicken broth, heavy cream, wine, sun-dried tomatoes, tomato paste, and basil into pan. Heat to a simmer, and cook until liquid is reduced by half. Approximately 6- 8 minutes. Stir frequently.
Return chicken to pan. Heat until warm.
Add Remaining Ingredients
Add feta cheese, parsley, pepper, and salt. Toss well.
Serve over pasta, zoodles, or even riced cauliflower. Adjust seasonings as needed.
- If the sauce is too thick for your liking, add more chicken broth or cream to adjust.
- Stir frequently when simmering the sauce so that it doesn't stick or burn.
- The chicken does not have to be cut into pieces and can be left whole. Add time for cooking the whole pieces in the pan and serve the sauce over the chicken's top.
- Substitute chicken breasts or shrimp instead of thighs.
- Try playing around with different herb combinations, different cheeses, or adding in your favorites to taste. The options are endless!
How long will chicken keep in the refrigerator?
The chicken will keep in your refrigerator for up to 4 days in an airtight container.
How can you lower the fat in this recipe?
To lower the fat in this recipe, you can use half and half instead of heavy cream. You could also substitute chicken breast for thighs, which are slightly lower in fat as well.
How can I increase the healthy fat in this recipe?
You can increase the healthy fat in this recipe by adding 1 tablespoon of olive oil or avocado oil. I don't recommend adding more or it will become greasy.
You could also use additional heavy cream or garnish with more cheese.
📋 Printable Recipe
- Hungarian Paprika Chicken (Low Carb Keto)
- Bruschetta Chicken Skillet Recipe (Keto Low Carb)
- Healthy Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole (Low Carb Keto)
- EASY Jalapeño Popper Chicken Casserole (Keto Low Carb)
- Keto Chicken Pot Pie Casserole (Low Carb Gluten Free)
How to Share This Recipe
We'd LOVE for you to help us share this recipe! Here's how:
Review and Comment on This Recipe
We love reviews! Please leave any questions and comments below and don't forget to review our dish!
Share Your Photos
Show us what a star chef you are! Take photos of this dish and share them! We'd LOVE to see them!
Upload a photo of this dish to our Pinterest pin
tag @seekinggoodeats and hashtag it #seekinggoodeats
Pin our Pin
Share our pin and pin on Pinterest!
Low Carb Chicken in TomatoBasil Cream Sauce is so GOOD!! Easy dinner in one pan. A family-friendly healthy recipe that is low carb, keto, and gluten-free. Perfect weeknight-inspired Italian recipe. #seekinggoodeats #chicken #skillet #italian #lowcarb #keto