Mint chimichurri is super easy to make and adds a bright freshness to meats such as lamb, chicken, and pork - as well as fish and shellfish. It takes less than 8 minutes using only 6 ingredients too! Make this sauce rustic or pureed like a traditional chimichurri. Enjoy!
❤️ Why You'll Love This Recipe
"This is one of my favorite to serve on lamb - but I also love it on shellfish! Sweet, salty, spicy, and acidity all blend into a perfect sauce that really compliments rich proteins."
This chimichurri sauce has so many uses and it tastes wonderful with lamb, pork, chicken, scallops, fish, clams, and shrimp! You can make this recipe "rustic" and just mix it all in a bowl, or blend the ingredients into a puree.
This is a super quick condiment to make and you'll have it ready for serving in less than 8 minutes using only 6 ingredients.
Chimichurri tastes amazing. The parsley and mint are soft and not too overpowering - and the herbs pair well with the slight spiciness of the red pepper, and the acidity of the vinegar.
This is a healthy sauce that's low carb, keto, paleo, whole30, vegan, vegetarian, dairy-free, and gluten-free. Yes!
What is Chimichurri?
Chimichurri is a popular condiment that originated in South America. It is commonly served over grilled and roasted meats. A traditional chimichurri sauce is most commonly made with cilantro, parsley, oregano, shallots, garlic, vinegar, olive oil, and salt - but with any recipe, there are many variations.
I created this recipe as a compliment to lamb but it certainly will work with other meats, poultry, fish, and shellfish too! You can choose to go the traditional route and puree the sauce together or you can keep it simple and rustic as I did and just chop it all up and mix it in a bowl.
Here are the ingredients you will need to make mint chimichurri:
- Fresh Mint - always use fresh mint. You can adjust the mint to your taste too. The mintiness of the chimichurri is very subtle but you could certainly adjust it.
- Fresh Parsley - fresh is best in chimichurri. You just don't get the same results with dried herbs.
- Red Wine Vinegar - adds acidity and brightness to the sauce.
- Olive Oil
- Red Pepper Flakes - adds a mild spiciness to the sauce. You can adjust up or down as needed.
- Salt - season to taste. I use kosher salt but you can use table salt, or any other kind.
Be sure to see the recipe card below for ingredient quantities and full instructions!
Equipment and tools needed to make this mint chimichurri recipe:
- Small Mixing Bowl
- Mixing Spoon or Whisk
- Cutting Board
- Chef Knife
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
Here are the step-by-step instructions for making mint chimichurri:
Finely mince garlic, mint, and parsley.
Add all the ingredients to a small bowl and stir together.
Finish and serve
Adjust the seasonings to taste and serve over your favorite protein.
🥗 How To Serve
Here are a few ways to serve mint chimichurri:
- For a smoother sauce blend all the ingredients.
- Serve with Air Fryer Lamb Chops, Oven Roasted Leg of Lamb,
- Serve over shellfish, fish, lamb, gamey meats, poultry, chicken, and pork.
- Enjoy it on my Greek Gryo Burgers!
- Meal idea! Serve the chimichurri with grilled or sauteed shrimp, steamed brown rice, and broccoli. Such a simple meal!
Here are a few ways you can vary or make substitutions to this recipe:
- For a smoother sauce blend all the ingredients in a blender until the desired consistency is reached.
- Make it spicier by adding more red pepper.
- Use cilantro, parsley, and oregano to make a more traditional chimichurri sauce.
- Add finely minced shallots to taste.
- Add more or less herbs if you'd like.
💭 Top Tips
- This is a totally flexible recipe - adjust any ingredients you like in any amounts.
- For best taste use the freshest ingredients possible!
To store leftovers, let the roast cool completely, then transfer to an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. See reheating and freezing instructions below.
This sauce does not freeze well as the herbs have a tendency to turn brown.
✔️ More Seasoning and Sauce Recipes
If you are looking for more delicious seasoning and sauce recipes, check these out:
- Sweet BBQ Sauce
- Tzatziki Sauce
- Creamy Dill Salad Dressing
- Enchiladas Sauce
- Chipotle Seasoning
- Best Fajita Seasoning
- Copycat Taco Seasoning Mix
- Garlic Herb Compound Butter
⭐ Let's Connect
Did you try one of my recipes and love it? Let me know! I'd love for you to come back and give the recipe a 5 star rating and a comment 🙂
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- ¼ cup fresh parsley (minced)
- ¼ cup fresh mint (minced)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar (adjust to taste)
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (adjust according to taste)
- salt to taste
- Add all ingredients to a small bowl and stir together.
- Taste test salt and vinegar (acidity) levels and adjust if needed. Add more red pepper flakes if you like it spicy. Serve right away, or place in an air-tight container for later use.
- Add all ingredients to a blender and puree until your desired consistency is reached. (Tip: if you choose this method you do not need to chop all the ingredients)
- Adjust salt, vinegar, and red pepper flakes to taste.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- VARIATIONS: add cilantro if desired, adjust seasoning and herbs up or down according to your tastes.
- TOP TIPS: Always use the freshest ingredients for best taste.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: There are many uses. Serve over meat, poultry, fish, and shellfish. Serve as a condiment on Air Fryer Lamb Chops, Roasted Leg of Lamb, or even our Greek Style Gyro Burgers.
© 2023 Seeking Good Eats™