You'll love this baked boneless skinless chicken breast recipe! The 6-seasoning dry rub has the perfect blend of smoky, tangy, and herby. Perfectly juicy and tender in under 30 minutes for an easy weeknight dinner!
- You Will Love This Baked Boneless Chicken Breast
- Baked Chicken Breast in Oven Ingredients
- How to Make Baked Boneless Chicken Breast
- How to Serve Baked Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
- How to Store Baked Skinless Chicken Breast
- Baked Chicken Breast in Oven FAQs
- Baked Skinless Chicken Breast (Boneless)
- More Recipes
You Will Love This Baked Boneless Chicken Breast
Tasty Dry Rub. A quick homemade dry rub made with a wonderful blend of spices. Italian herbs, smoked paprika, garlic salt, onion powder, pepper, and ground mustard powder. Smoky, slightly tangy, herbaceous and robust!
Baked to Perfection! This is my go-to baked chicken breast recipe - it is perfect every time! No guessing if it is cooked enough or if it is going to be overcooked - the trick is to use a thermometer to determine when to pull the chicken from the oven.
Healthy. This recipe is low-carb, keto, gluten-free, sugar free, and paleo!
Baked Chicken Breast in Oven Ingredients
Here are the ingredients you will need to make oven baked chicken:
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts: Substitute with boneless skinless chicken thighs if desired. You may need to adjust cooking times.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Italian Seasoning
- Paprika: Regular or smoked paprika may be used.
- Garlic Salt
- Onion Powder
- Ground Yellow Mustard
- Ground Black Pepper
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
Be sure to save this pin to Pinterest for later! 😉
Substitutions and Variations
- Use a store-bought seasoning blend of your choice instead if preferred.
- Use boneless, skinless chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts.
- Use a different quality oil if desired.
- Add 1 tablespoon of brown sugar or brown sugar substitute for a little sweetness to your rub- this will also add a little caramelization for flavor.
- Cook in the air fryer instead of the oven. Cook at 375 degrees for 15 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Juicy chicken every time!
- Change or omit any seasonings if desired.
- Marinate the chicken in the dry rub for up to 2 days prior to cooking. This will help tenderize and flavor the chicken.
How to Make Baked Boneless Chicken Breast
Here's how to make baked chicken breast. For full instructions, be sure to see the recipe card.
1. Grease a rimmed baking sheet or line with parchment paper. Mix all your seasonings in a bowl.
2. Toss chicken with oil and seasoning until evenly coated in a large bowl or bag.
3. Place chicken on the baking sheet and cook until done. Remove at 155-160 degrees to complete cooking out of the oven. (makes for a super juicy chicken)
4. Transfer chicken to a plate and cover with foil. Let rest for 5-10 minutes to finish cooking.
Baked Chicken Breast Temperature
The safe cooking temperature is when your chicken is 165 degrees F. You can do this by using an internal temperature thermometer to remove when the chicken reaches 155-160 degrees F. When you remove it from the oven, it will continue cooking when you tent it with foil and let it rest for 5-10 minutes. This will get the perfect juicy baked chicken every time!
Baked Chicken Breast Time
The amount of time it takes to cook chicken breasts depends on the size. In this recipe, we pound the chicken to a 3/4" thickness, so when baked at 425 degrees in the oven, it should take about 18-22 minutes to reach an internal temperature of 155-160 degrees F. Make sure to let your chicken rest so your internal temperature rises to 165 degrees F for safety.
How to Serve Baked Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
Garnish with freshly chopped parsley or other herbs.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve with mashed potatoes or mashed cauliflower.
Meal idea! Serve with these easy mashed potatoes crockpot or mashed cauliflower for a super simple side dish to pair with these juicy baked chicken breasts! Add a favorite veggie side like these air fryer green beans, maple balsamic Brussels sprouts, or a favorite tossed green salad!
How to Store Baked Skinless Chicken Breast
Once cooled, transfer to an air-tight container for up to 3 days. Store whole or cut into slices for easy reheating.
Baked Chicken Breast in Oven FAQs
There are a few ways to prevent drying out your chicken and to keep it tender. Using a dry rub and letting it marinate up to 2 days ahead of time will help tenderize it. Using an instant-read thermometer will also help prevent overcooking. Pull your chicken from the oven when it reaches 155-160 degrees F, let it rest, and tent with foil so it raises to 165 degrees F.
You can bake chicken breasts, either covered or uncovered. I prefer to bake uncovered so that your dry rub creates a slight crust on the outside while keeping the inside nice, juicy, and tender.
The main secret is to marinate your chicken breast and prevent overcooking by using a thermometer to test doneness.
Baked Skinless Chicken Breast (Boneless)
- 4 (6-ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts (pounded to ½'" thickness)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground yellow mustard
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425℉. Grease a rimmed baking sheet or line with parchment paper. Mix all the seasonings in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl or a plastic bag, toss chicken breasts with olive oil then sprinkle on the seasoning rub, making sure to coat evenly. (Note: this can be done as early as 2 days before and it's a great way to flavor and tenderize the chicken even more.)
- Place chicken breast on the baking sheet. Bake 18 to 22 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 155 to 160℉. (Note that the safe cooking temperature is 165 degrees F, but after removal it will continue to cook - and dry out. If you remove at 155 to 160° and tent with foil, the temp will continue to rise up to the safe temperature - and still be juicy.)
- Transfer chicken breasts to a plate and cover with foil. Let rest 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- VARIATIONS: Any store-bought salted seasoning blend will work as a substitute for the seasonings in this recipe.
- TIPS: Chicken breasts will dry out quickly. Watch them carefully and remove when their internal temperature reaches 155 to 160 degrees. Tent with foil and allow them to sit about 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with an easy fresh green salad and a favorite dressing or other favorite vegetable.
© 2024 Seeking Good Eats™