Lemon Meringue Custard Pies are so delicious – and dare we say – cute? A beautiful mix between the tartness of the lemon custard and sweetness of the meringues pair perfectly together. Who doesn’t love lemon meringue custard pie? Try these cute mini pies! They are quite easy to make in your oven, as well as being low carb, sugar-free, and keto-friendly too! The best part, I have served these to many people and no one knows they are sugar-free. It will be our secret.
Mini Lemon Meringue Custard Pie
Lemon meringue custard pies are tasty little keto desserts! These sugar-free desserts are cute mini lemon meringue pies that you will love. You can also feel good about eating these tasty little sugar-free desserts. Perfectly proportioned lemon desserts to enjoy! Make the meringue topping or you can simply use whipped cream. Either way – super delicious #keto #lowcarb #sugarfreedesserts #ketodesserts #lemonmeringuepie #lemonmeringuecustard #dessert #lemondesserts #lemonmeringuecustardpie
Why You Will Love These Healthy Lemon Meringue Pies!
| They Are Healthy And Sugar-Free Lemon Meringue Custard Pie
Yes, these lemon meringue custard pies are sugar-free and healthy. No one can tell either! Feel good about serving this dessert.
| They’re Super Cute And Sized Just Right
I love that these are portioned to the perfect size!
| They’re So Tasty
The zesty lemon custard paired with the sweet meringue top is absolutely perfect together.
| A Make-Ahead Dessert
You can make these desserts ahead of time and store for up to 3 days. I carefully wrap them in plastic wrap – each individually.
| They’re Low Carb and Keto
These little desserts are low carb and keto-friendly for sure.
26.4 g fat, 2.5 g net carbs, and 8 g protein
What You Will Need to Make Sugar Free Lemon Meringue Pies
This post may contain affiliate links, which help to keep this content free (Full Disclosure)
- 6 – 6 oz custard dishes
- hand mixer or stand mixer with a whisk attachment
- pourable measuring cups. I use this type, they are super handy: silicone liquid measuring cups.
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- 6 egg yolks (use whites for meringue below)
- 3/4 cup granulated monk fruit erythritol blend (or sugar)
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 6 egg whites, room temperature
- 6 tbsp powdered monk fruit erythritol blend (or powdered sugar)
How To Make Lemon Meringue Custard Pies
1 | Make The Custards
- Preheat oven 300 degrees F
- In a medium-sized saucepan, over medium-high heat, heat the cream until just before it boils, stirring frequently so it doesn’t stick or burn. Turn off heat and remove pan from the burner (#1).
- Using the whisk attachment of a mixer. Mix egg yolks, monk fruit together until sugar dissolves (#2-3).
- Transfer hot cream to a pourable measuring cup (#4). With the mixer on low, slowly pour the cream into the egg mixture until blended.
Tip: pour the hot cream slowing into the eggs or you will have “scrambled egg cream”
- Add vanilla, lemon zest, and lemon juice and mix just until blended (#5-6).
- Pour lemon custard into pie dishes (#7).
- Heat 2 to 3 cups of water to boiling and carefully pour around the sides of the custards until the water reaches halfway up the sides of the custard dishes (#8).
- Bake the custards for 45 minutes. The custard will still be slightly jiggly. While baking, start on your meringue.
Tip: I usually start the meringue about 15 to 20 minutes before the custards are done
2 | Make The Meringue
- Wash mixing bowl and whisk attachment. Add egg whites and beat on high speed until soft peaks form. Add the powdered sugar and continue beating just until stiff peaks form. Be careful not to overbeat egg whites (#9-11).
- Divide meringue between the 6 cups and spread over the top (#12).
Tip: you can skip this step and use whipped cream when serving instead. It’s just as good, but not as dramatic 🙂
3 | Bake
- Place the custards back in the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the meringue is golden. Remove from oven and place custards on a wire rack. Cool to room temperature. Cover with plastic wrap then refrigerate.
1 | When pouring the hot milk into the custard mixture, the custard into the dishes, and the hot water into the pan surrounding the custards, make sure to use something that pours easily and more precisely. This will prevent spilling and you’ll get your custard actually into the dishes and the hot water into the pan instead of your custard. 🙂
I literally have some “pourable” measuring cups that do not pour without slopping. Must have something to do with the pouring lip? I bought a “squishy” silicone 4 cup liquid measuring cup years ago (Cake Boss) that works perfectly for more precise pouring. See the ‘Tools’ needed above.
2 | Start the meringue about 15 to 20 minutes before the custard finishes baking.
3 | When beating eggs to make meringue I use room temperature egg whites. Beat the egg whites until they are just forming soft peaks, then I add the powdered sugar and continue until they just form stiff peaks. You have to watch them carefully, stop the mixture and test similar to image #11 shown above.
4| The custards will be slightly runny after they cool. They will thicken once refrigerated.
5 | If you’re in a hurry to gobble this up you can skip the meringue step! Top with whipped cream instead. 🙂
More Healthy Dessert Recipes To Make. Yum.
- Chocolate Torte Recipe (Keto Chocolate Cake)
- Blueberry Cheesecake Keto Ice Cream (Sugar-Free, Low Carb, Keto)
- Best Almond Cake Recipe (Low Carb and Sugar-Free Cake)
- Delicious Low Carb and Keto Cupcakes (The Best Keto Cupcake Recipes)
We’d Love To Hear From You!
We’d LOVE for you to help us share this recipe! Here’s how:
1 | REVIEW OUR RECIPE
We love reviews! Please leave any questions and comments below and don’t forget to review our dish!
2 | SHARE YOUR PHOTOS
Show us what a star chef you are! Take photos of this dish and share them! We’d LOVE to see them!
Upload a photo of this dish to our Pinterest pin
tag @seekinggoodeats and hashtag it #seekinggoodeats
3 | PIN OUR PIN
Share our pin and pin on Pinterest!
Pin me for later!