Lemon Meringue Custard Pies are so delicious - and dare we say - cute? A beautiful mix between the tartness of the lemon custard and sweetness of the meringues pair perfectly together. Who doesn't love lemon meringue custard pie?
Try these cute mini pies! They are quite easy to make in your oven, as well as being low carb, sugar-free, and keto-friendly too! The best part, I have served these to many people and no one knows they are sugar-free. It will be our secret.
You'll Love These Healthy Lemon Meringue Pies
Healthy and Sugar-Free Lemon Meringue Custard Pie
Yes, these lemon meringue custard pies are sugar-free and healthy. No one can tell either! Feel good about serving this dessert.
Super Cute and Sized Just Right
I love that these are portioned to the perfect size!
The zesty lemon custard paired with the sweet meringue top is absolutely perfect together.
You can make these desserts ahead of time and store for up to 3 days. I carefully wrap them in plastic wrap - each individually.
Low Carb and Keto Dessert
These little desserts are low carb and keto-friendly for sure.
26.4 g fat, 2.5 g net carbs, and 8 g protein
Ingredients and Tools
- 6 egg yolks (use whites for meringue below)
- 3/4 cup granulated monk fruit erythritol blend (or sugar)
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 6 egg whites, room temperature
- 6 tbsp powdered monk fruit erythritol blend (or powdered sugar)
- 6 - 6 oz custard dishes
- hand mixer or stand mixer with a whisk attachment
- pourable measuring cups. I use this type, they are super handy: silicone liquid measuring cups.
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
Make The Custards
- Preheat oven 300 degrees F
- In a medium-sized saucepan, over medium-high heat, heat the cream until just before it boils, stirring frequently so it doesn't stick or burn. Turn off heat and remove pan from the burner (#1).
- Using the whisk attachment of a mixer. Mix egg yolks, monk fruit together until sugar dissolves (#2-3).
- Transfer hot cream to a pourable measuring cup (#4). With the mixer on low, slowly pour the cream into the egg mixture until blended.
Tip: pour the hot cream slowing into the eggs or you will have "scrambled egg cream"
- Add vanilla, lemon zest, and lemon juice and mix just until blended (#5-6).
- Pour lemon custard into pie dishes (#7).
- Heat 2 to 3 cups of water to boiling and carefully pour around the sides of the custards until the water reaches halfway up the sides of the custard dishes (#8).
- Bake the custards for 45 minutes. The custard will still be slightly jiggly. While baking, start on your meringue.
Tip: I usually start the meringue about 15 to 20 minutes before the custards are done
Make The Meringue
- Wash mixing bowl and whisk attachment. Add egg whites and beat on high speed until soft peaks form. Add the powdered sugar and continue beating just until stiff peaks form. Be careful not to overbeat egg whites (#9-11).
- Divide meringue between the 6 cups and spread over the top (#12).
Tip: you can skip this step and use whipped cream when serving instead. It's just as good, but not as dramatic 🙂
- Place the custards back in the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the meringue is golden. Remove from oven and place custards on a wire rack. Cool to room temperature. Cover with plastic wrap then refrigerate.
Tip: The lemon custard will thicken once refrigerated.
1. When pouring the hot milk into the custard mixture, the custard into the dishes, and the hot water into the pan surrounding the custards, make sure to use something that pours easily and more precisely. This will prevent spilling and you'll get your custard actually into the dishes and the hot water into the pan instead of your custard. 🙂
I literally have some "pourable" measuring cups that slop liquid everywhere. Must have something to do with the pouring lip? I bought a "squishy" silicone 4 cup liquid measuring cup years ago (Cake Boss) that works perfectly for more precise pouring. See the 'Tools' needed above.
2 . Start the meringue about 15 to 20 minutes before the custard finishes baking.
3. When beating eggs to make meringue I use room temperature egg whites. Beat the egg whites until they are just forming soft peaks, then I add the powdered sugar and continue until they just form stiff peaks. You have to watch them carefully, stop the mixture and test similar to image #11 shown above.
4. The custards will be slightly runny after they cool. They will thicken once refrigerated.
5. If you're in a hurry to gobble this up you can skip the meringue step! Top with whipped cream instead. 🙂
- Raspberry Coconut Squares (Keto Low Carb)
- Chocolate Torte Recipe (Keto Chocolate Cake)
- Blueberry Cheesecake Keto Ice Cream (Sugar-Free, Low Carb, Keto)
- Best Almond Cake Recipe (Low Carb and Sugar-Free Cake)
- Delicious Low Carb and Keto Cupcakes (The Best Keto Cupcake Recipes)
How to Share This Recipe
We'd LOVE for you to help us share this recipe! Here's how:
Review Our Recipe
We love reviews! Please leave a review and a comment. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
Share Your Photos
Show us what a star chef you are! Take photos of this dish and share them! We'd LOVE to see them!
Upload a photo of this dish to our Pinterest pin
tag @seekinggoodeats and hashtag it #seekinggoodeats
Pin Our Pin
Share our pin and pin on Pinterest!
Pin me for later!
Lemon meringue custard pies are tasty little keto desserts! These sugar-free desserts are cute mini lemon meringue pies that you will love. You can also feel good about eating these tasty little sugar-free desserts. Perfectly proportioned lemon desserts to enjoy! Make the meringue topping or you can simply use whipped cream. Either way - super delicious #keto #lowcarb #sugarfreedesserts #ketodesserts #lemonmeringuepie #lemonmeringuecustard #dessert #lemondesserts #lemonmeringuecustardpie
Char Sherman says
Love these recipes!!!! I made the green enchilada chicken soup and it is AWESOME! I also made the Lemon Meringue custard cups and they are AWESOME also!!!!!
Thank you for trying out both the green enchilada chicken soup and the Lemon Meringue custards cups! I'm so glad you loved them! 🙂 If you want another good dessert, try my Raspberry Coconut Squares!