This red lentil curry soup is a delicious healthy plant-based meal to make any night of the week - in 30 minutes or less! Flavorful curry spices, creamy coconut milk, lemon, and red lentils are combined and cooked to perfection. Bonus: This recipe is dairy-free, plant-based, vegan, and vegetarian.
You will love this Lemony Red Lentil Soup
30 Minutes or Less. A quick and easy weeknight dinner cooked in one pot. Start by sauteeing your vegetables, adding your aromatics, and then adding your lentils, broth, and coconut to simmer until the lentils are tender. Add the coconut milk and lemon juice at the end with any extra seasonings to taste, and you're ready to eat!
Delicious! This Indian-inspired soup is super flavorful with curry powder, garlic, ginger, coconut milk, and fresh lemon juice. All the flavors complement each other perfectly - it's simply addicting!
Healthy. You'll love that this recipe is healthy by packing in plant-based ingredients, so it's vegan, gluten-free, and dairy-free! Serve this soup with a side salad to keep it healthy, or pair it with some fresh naan bread--SO yummy!
Red Lentil Soup Recipe Ingredients
Here are the ingredients you will need to make red lentil soup:
- Coconut Oil: you can substitute your favorite cooking oil, such as avocado oil, olive oil, or any nut oil.
- Onion: use white, yellow, or sweet onion.
- Garlic: minced garlic, either fresh or store-bought.
- Ginger Paste: you can also use fresh minced ginger.
- Curry Powder: choose your preferred spice level; it ranges from mild to hot.
- Red Lentils: there are SO many different kinds of lentils. Substitute with your favorite, or use a blend of colors!
- Vegetable Broth: use regular or low sodium if desired.
- Canned Coconut Milk
- Lemon Juice: one medium-sized lemon will normally yield about 3-4 tablespoons of fresh juice.
- Salt and Pepper : use fresh ground black pepper for a more robust flavor.
- Optional Fresh Cilantro: used for garnish
For exact ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below!
Be sure to pin this pin to Pinterest to save for later! 🙂
Red Lentil Soup Variations
Here are a few substitutions and variations you might want to try:
Use any kind of lentils in place of the red lentils.
Adjust any seasonings to taste.
Add other Indian spices, such as smoked paprika, cinnamon, cumin, or coriander, to your soup for extra flavor.
Serve the soup chunky, or use an immersion blender to make it smooth.
Make it spicy by using hot curry powder and adding chopped Thai chilis or red pepper flakes.
Incorporate other vegetables such as diced sweet potato, diced tomato, or okra.
How To Make Red Lentil Soup with Lemon
1. In a large pot, heat oil in a pot over medium heat. Add onion, celery, and carrot, and cook until tender.
2. Reduce heat; stir in garlic, curry powder and ginger paste.
3. Add red lentils, broth, salt, and pepper. Cover and bring to a simmer. Cook until lentils are tender.
4. Stir in coconut milk, and lemon juice. Heat until warm.
5. Ladle into bowls and garnish.
How To Serve Lemony Red Lentil Soup
Adjust seasoning to taste. Garnish with fresh cilantro, parsley, or chives.
Top with plant-based sour cream, regular sour cream, plain Greek yogurt, or a swirl of coconut milk.
Serve alone or serve over rice or cauliflower rice.
Pair with a piece of your favorite crusty bread, crackers, or naan (a traditional Indian bread).
How To Store Red Lentil Curry Soup
Once cooled, transfer to an air-tight container and store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Store in the freezer for up to 3 months!
Red Lentil Soup Recipe FAQs
Yes! This soup is packed full of plant-powered protein, and lentils are loaded with healthy fats and fiber. It is also dairy and gluten free, so it is anti-inflammatory!
It is always a good idea to rinse your lentils before cooking to remove and debris from them.
If you are cooking red lentils on their own, you can drain your lentils once they are done. In this recipe, it is added to the soup so you do not drain them.
Red Lentil Curry Soup
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 2 stalks celery (diced)
- 2 carrots (peeled and diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste (grated ginger can be substituted)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 (16-ounce) package red lentils
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 can coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a large pot, heat coconut oil over medium high heat. Add onion, celery, and carrot. Saute until very tender, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium. Stir in minced garlic, curry powder, and ginger paste. Saute 2 minutes.
- Add red lentils, vegetable broth, salt, and pepper. Cover and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook until lentils are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in coconut milk and lemon juice. Warm if needed. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Don't miss all of our helpful hints, substitution ideas, cooking tips, and other delicious recipes that can be found in our post. Check it out!
- VARIATIONS: Standard lentils may be used.
- Use only canned unsweetened coconut milk.
- To save time: use a 10 to 12-ounce package of diced mirepoix mix. This can be found in your produce section - it's a mix of fresh celery, carrots, and onions pre-cut and ready to go.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Season with salt and pepper to taste. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with fresh herbs such as cilantro or chives. Top with sour cream or Greek yogurt and diced tomatoes if desired.
© 2023 Seeking Good Eats™