Italian Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs (Low Carb and Keto Slow Cooker Chicken), is a super easy recipe with only 7 simple ingredients. These slow cooker chicken thighs are smothered in a tasty creamy tomato basil sauce that will have you licking your plate. Amazing served over pasta, zucchini noodles, or riced cauliflower. Low carb and keto-friendly, this recipe will be loved by all!
Italian Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs (Low Carb and Keto Slow Cooker Chicken)
This crockpot chicken recipe is the easiest! Creamy Italian Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs is both a low carb and keto recipe. Only 7 simple ingredients result in a delicious chicken with creamy tomato basil sauce dinner. A super easy low carb and easy keto slow cooker recipe! The perfect weeknight dinner that is family-friendly! #chicken #crockpot #slowcooker #keto #lowcarb #healthyrecipes #ketorecipes #italian
You’ll Love This Low Carb Slow Cooker Chicken!
This low carb slow cooker chicken is easy, your family will love it, it makes leftovers, and it’s keto and low carb. Perfect!
| It’s An Easy Slow Cooker Recipe
This is a super easy slow cooker recipe. Pretty much just dump and go. There are 7 ingredients, all require minimal prep. While I typically grate my own cheeses, in this recipe feel free to buy pre-grated. That way all you’ll need to do is dump the ingredients in the pot. Simple! Love it.
| Perfect Family Friendly Recipe
There is a consensus in our house – everyone LOVES this recipe! I love it when I have a recipe that everyone loves. It immediately goes to the “family favorite pile”. There are 5 of us in the house, and 2 are super picky so if we have a consensus it feels like a miracle.
| A Great Make-Ahead Chicken Recipe
This recipe makes around 10 servings. For a typical family that means leftovers!
I love to meal prep and put the chicken into individual dishes with sauce and veggies. This way I’ll have great make-ahead lunches ready to go!
| Low Carb and Keto Slow Cooker Chicken
I have found that chicken breasts can easily become dry in a crockpot so I often use boneless skinless chicken thighs. Slow cooker chicken thighs are moister and add fat which is perfect if you’re following a keto diet.
Thighs are more forgiving if you have to keep the chicken cooking longer than the cooking time! 🙂
If you wish to increase the fat, add additional cheese like mozzarella, or even a couple of tablespoons of butter.
If you wish to decrease the fat you can use low-fat cream cheese, use a low-fat cream of mushroom soup, and reduce the quantity of cheese.
The nutritional analysis is below in the recipe, but here is a summary. With only 5.4 g of net carbs and 34.7g of fat, this Italian slow cooker chicken recipe is keto-friendly.
net carbs 5.4 g | protein 36.9 g | fat 34.7 g
What You’ll Need To Make Italian Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs
- slow cooker (this is my slow cooker. I love that it’s programmable and has a temperature control)
- instant-read thermometer
- cheese grater
- boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Keto Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup, or canned condensed cream of mushroom soup
- diced tomatoes with garlic and onion, drained
- sundried tomatoes
- tomato paste
- Italian seasoning
- cream cheese, bring to room temperature prior to adding to the crockpot
- fresh basil (optional)
- noodles, zucchini noodles, riced cauliflower (to serve chicken and sauce over)
How To Make Low Carb Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs With Creamy Italian Sauce
Gather ingredients. Drain tomatoes. Spray slow cooker with nonstick spray.
Add chicken thighs, mushroom soup, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, sundried tomatoes and Italian seasoning. Stir to combine. Secure lid and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours until the chicken reaches 165°F.
Remove lid 30 minutes prior to serving. Remove chicken and set aside. Add cream cheese and parmesan. Stir until cheeses melt.
Tip: If you cut the cream cheese into cubes it melts quicker!
Note: If your sauce is too runny, leaving the lid off longer will help thicken it as the moisture will dissipate. Once the cheese is added the sauce will thicken slightly too. If that still isn’t enough you can make a slurry of cornstarch and water, or 1/2 tsp xanthan gum (the low carb option) mixed with 1 tsp olive oil and add to slow cooker.
Add back in the chicken. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Note: I pull the chicken out temporarily so that while I’m stirring to melt the cheese, and thickening the sauce, the chicken doesn’t break apart. This is optional of course.
Serve over pasta, zucchini noodles, or riced cauliflower. Garnish with a sprinkle of cheese and fresh basil.
- Allow cream cheese to come to room temperature. Cut into cubes to help it melt faster.
- I pull the chicken out temporarily so that while I’m stirring to melt the cheese, and thickening the sauce, the chicken doesn’t break apart. This is optional of course.
- If the sauce is too runny, remove the lid from the crockpot about 3o minutes before serving to allow the liquid to evaporate. Or, you can thicken with 1/2 tsp xanthan gum mixed with 1 tsp olive oil. Stir into the crockpot and allow to thicken the sauce.
| What temperature should chicken be cooked at?
Chicken should be cooked to 165° F. An instant-read thermometer is the easiest way to determine the temperature of your chicken.
The crockpot I use (here) has a programmable thermometer so I can set it to turn to warm when the chicken reaches 165° F. This is handy and keeps my ingredients from getting overcooked.
| Can I use chicken breasts instead of thighs?
Yes. You can substitute chicken breasts for thighs. Chicken breasts dry out quicker than thighs, so be careful not to overcook.
| How long can I keep cooked chicken in the fridge?
3 to 4 days. If you need to keep longer, you can freeze this recipe for Italian Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs.
| How long can you keep raw chicken in the fridge?
2 days. According to the USDA, chicken should be kept no longer than two days in the fridge.
Here’s a handy guide from the USDA, Refrigeration and Food Safety
Want More Low Carb Slow Cooker Recipes?
Here are a few low carb slow cooker recipes that you’ll love! All are quick and easy recipes…my favorite kind!
- Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes (Low Carb Sloppy Joes)
- Quick Low Carb Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
- Tender Slow Cooker Tuscan Turkey Breast
- Quick and Easy Slow Cooker Pork Butt Roast (Low Carb Pork Roast)
- Keto Low Carb Slow Cooker Beef Recipes
- Easy Keto Low Carb Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes
We’d Love To Hear From You!
We’d LOVE for you to help us share this recipe! Here’s what you can do to help:
1 | REVIEW OUR RECIPE
We love reviews! Please leave any questions and comments below and don’t forget to review our dish!
2 | SHARE YOUR PHOTOS
Show us what a star chef you are! Take photos of this dish and share them! We’d LOVE to see them!
Upload a photo of this dish to our Pinterest pin
3 | PIN OUR PIN
Share our pin and pin on Pinterest!
Pin me for later!
- 3 to 4 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatos with garlic and onion, drained
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/2 cup sundried tomatoes, slivered and diced
- Keto Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
Keto Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 8 oz pkg cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil for garnish (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Spray slow cooker with nonstick spray. Add chicken thighs, cream of mushroom soup, diced tomatos, tomato paste, sundried tomatoes and Italian seasoning. Stir until blended. Turn crock pot on Low and cook 6 to 8 hours.
- 30 minutes prior to serving, remove lid. Add parmesan and cream cheese. Allow cheeses to melt, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve over pasta, zucchini noodles, or riced cauliflower. Garnish with fresh basil. Enjoy
If the sauce in the crock pot is too liquid, you can leave the lid off to help evaporate some of the juices, or you can thicken with cornstarch. If you're following a low carb or keto diet you can thicken with 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum mixed with 1 tsp olive oil.
To keep the chicken from breaking apart while stirring to melt the cheeses, and thickening the sauce, you can pull it out and set aside. Add back in when sauce is complete.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1025 Total Fat: 52g Saturated Fat: 19g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 32g Cholesterol: 691mg Sodium: 1251mg Carbohydrates: 8g Net Carbohydrates: 7g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 4g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 136g