- 3 red onions, small to medium and thinly sliced (total amount of all onions should be around 6 cups)
- 3 sweet yellow onions, small to medium and thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (port, savingnon blanc, white cooking wine, or vermouth also work)
- 32 oz beef broth (bone broth is really good here)
- 1 Tbsp of white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp beef bouillon base
- 3 tsp fresh thyme (tarragon is also nice)
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp xantham gum (optional thickener)
- 2 cups gruyere cheese, grated (swiss is fine too)
- 6 slices french bread, 1/2″ thick (not for low carb or keto followers)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
Prep and assemble ingredients.
For non-low carb and keto followers, make your croutons (instructions below). While croutons are baking you can start on the soup.
Set the pressure cooker to Sauté Medium. Melt butter and olive oil in the bottom of the cooker. Add onions and sauté stirring occasionally until they are very soft and a golden color. Do not rush this process, you want the onions super soft and caramelized.
If your pot gets too hot, turn it down to Low and continue on.
Add broth, bouillon base, wine, and thyme.
Secure lid on the pressure cooker. Set to pressure High for 2 minutes. Once complete, allow pressure to release manually.
Tip: if you get distracted and need to let it release manually this is totally fine too!
Slowly whisk xanthan gum into the soup and stir until it starts to thicken. Season with salt and pepper.
Low carb and keto diet followers, dish into bowls, sprinkle with Gruyere cheese, garnish with fresh thyme, and serve.
Preheat oven to 425°
Brush french bread slices with oil and lightly sprinkle with salt on both sides. Place on a baking sheet and bake until crisp and golden brown. This takes between 15 and 20 minutes. Flip halfway through baking. Remove from oven and set aside.
Dish soup into oven-safe bowls and top with a crouton.
Top the crouton with 1/4 cup Gruyere cheese.
Turn oven on broil. Place soup bowls in the oven and broil until cheese is melted and bubbly. Remove from oven and garnish with fresh thyme.
Keywords: french onion soup recipe, pressure cooker soup recipe, instant pot soup recipe, soup recipe