How To Roast A Goose (Christmas Goose Recipe), is a simple method for roasting a perfectly tender, rich and juicy goose for the holidays! Roast goose is a traditional Christmas recipe that everyone looks forward to during the holidays.
- 5 to 6 quarts water
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups kosher salt
- 6 lb whole goose
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 3 cups water
- 1 onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 lemon, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 apple, cut into 8 wedges
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 sprigs oregano
- kosher salt
- In a large pan or dish, brine goose in 1 cup kosher salt and enough water to cover the goose. Cover and refrigerate. Leave in brine for 24 to 48 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Remove goose from brine and prick skin with fork (or score with knife). Set goose on a rack of a roasting pan. Pour apple cider vinegar evenly over the top of the goose and then pour water in the bottom of the pan. Generously season with salt and pepper. Stuff the inside of the goose with some of the apple slices, lemon, onion, and herbs. Do not overstuff. Place the remaining herbs, fruit, and onion underneath the goose in the bottom of the pan. Allow the goose to come to room temperature before placing in the oven.
- Roast at 425 degrees F for 15 min. Turn oven down to 350 and roast until goose reaches an internal temperature to 140 to 150 degrees F in the thickest part of the breast. Baste with juices periodically throughout roasting.
- Remove goose from the oven and tent with foil. Allow it to sit for at least 15 minutes before carving.
The USDA recommends cooking to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Most recipes recommend 140 to 150 degrees in the thickest part of the breast as the meat is still tender at that temp. Do not use pinkness as a guide. The muscle of the goose is pink and will stay pink after cooking. A thermometer is the best way to determine doneness.
Keywords: christmas goose recipe, traditional christmas goose, roast goose recipe, roasted goose recipe, holiday roast recipe