How To Cook A Prime Rib Roast (Prime Rib Recipe) with step by step instructions so you can make the best prime rib roast recipe ever! Believe it or not, prime rib is easy to cook and the salted olive oil and herb crust creates amazing flavor. This is the perfect roast beef for a dinner party or holiday gathering. Since you pre-prep this roast a day or two in advance, all you have to do is roast the day of your dinner. Horseradish sauce and au jus instructions also provided. So easy!
- 8 to 9 lb prime rib (4 to 4 ribs)
- 6 to 8 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sea salt
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup fresh herbs (1/4 cup each of oregano, rosemary, and thyme)
- 3 tbsp pepper
1 to 2 Days Prior to Dinner
- Make small slits in the prime rib roast, just large enough to insert sliced garlic evenly around roast. Note: An alternative is to use minced garlic instead of sliced, and add it to the herb mixture below.
- Mix olive oil, herbs, and pepper in a small bowl. Rub mixture all over roast. Cover entire roast in kosher salt, patting on firmly. Wrap tightly in foil and refrigerate for 1 to 2 days prior to roasting the beef.
Day of Dinner
- Pull roast out of the refrigerator, and remove foil, 1 hour prior to roasting. Preheat oven to 500 degrees F. Set prime rib on the rack of a roasting pan. Place roast in the oven and immediately turn oven temperature down to 300 degrees F. Roast until the temperature of the roast reaches 125° to 130° degrees F in the center of its thickest part. This will take approximately 20 minutes per pound, but ovens can vary. Note: Use a thermometer to determine the exact temperature – don’t guess.
- Remove roast from the oven, tent with foil, and let stand for 15 to 30 minutes prior to serving. Remove salt crust, cut the twine and remove ribs (see note below).
- Slice into 1/2″ to 3/4” thick slices. Serve with horseradish sauce and beef juices (au jus) if desired. Recipes for horseradish sauce and au jus are provided within post.
For easy carving, my butcher cut the rib eye muscle from the bones and tied the bones back on for roasting.
Keywords: How to cook a prime rib roast, easy prime rib recipe, easy beef roast recipe